[MyAppleMenu] Mar 24, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 24 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Prize For Mathematician Who Paved Way For iPod
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1738511,00.html>
James Randerson, The Guardian

A prize that is considered the "Nobel" for mathematics has gone to an 80-year-old Swedish academic whose work on the complexities of soundwaves has subsequently been used in the electronic components of iPods.

*** US Government Backs Apple Against French Law
<http://www.physorg.com/news12082.html>
AFP

"Any time that we believe that intellectual property rights are being violated, we need to speak up and in this case, the company is taking the initiative."

*** Apple's Influence Already Felt At Intel
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6053397.html?part=rss&tag=6053397&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

"It's nice to have customer that pushes us on a technology front."

*** Apple Announces iPod Deal With French University
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/7400/>
Larry Angell, iLounge

[Opinion]

*** Withdrawl Symptons
<http://www.macgeekery.com/column/pure_genius/withdrawal_symptoms>
Mac Geekery

After working somewhere for six years, you get used to the machinations of that job, and the more reptitve aspects become like additions.

*** Steve Jobs Once Agreed With France's DRM Law
<http://www.siliconbeat.com/entries/2006/03/24/steve_jobs_once_agreed_with_frances_drm_law.html>
Matt Marshall, SiliconBeat

*** Vertigo Over iTunes
<http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20060323-083953-4810r.htm>
Washington Times

>From a free-market standpoint, the French move looks immediately suspect, but it also points to a problem Apple will need to grapple with down the road: The shift of most media and cultural products in time to digital formats.

*** Intellectual iPods
<http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/24/442375d735fec>
The Daily Campus

*** Why Is There No News On The Apple Trial?
<http://www.hipster-union.com/?p=28>
Hipster Union

*** I'm Having A Big Mac Attack
<http://easilyamusedinstitute.blogspot.com/2006/03/im-having-big-mac-attack.html>
Internet Institute For The Easily Amused

I'm definitely consider switching sides.

*** Macintosh And The Intel Switch
<http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/03/macintosh_and_t.html>
Scott Byer, Adobe

What it means is that this time, there's no limited-cost option for getting most of the performance available on the platform for Photoshop in a short amount of time. In other words, no shortcuts. That leaves doing the work for real -- taking the whole application over into XCode and recompiling as a Universal Binary. And that's no small task.

*** Why Apple Friggin' Rocks
<http://www.avclub.us/2006/03/23/why-apple-friggin-rocks/>
Ken Wilson, AVClub.us

Apple has earned my trust from here forth and you can now call me a fanatic.

*** Apple's High-Water Mark?
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/03/23/apple_vs_everyone.html>
Adrien Lamothe, O'Reilly Network

Apple appears to have reached a point where it cannot reduce its operational costs. It has taken on the continuing fixed expense of a large retail infrastructure. Its new hardware architecture is not as powerful as first perceived, and migration to the new platform is likely to create some tension with existing customers and software partners.

[Review]

*** The XP Experiment: Running Windows On A Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firstlooks/xpmini/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Is installing XP on an Intel Mac worth the effort?

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Virtual PC Killed
Heng-Cheong Leong

Apple will have its very own <http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/03/23/leopard-to-include-vmware-like-virtualisation-software/> Virtual-PC-like virtual machine inside Leopard, according to macosXrumors.

*** Correction For Previous Story
Heng-Cheong Leong

There is a correction to an earlier entry <http://www.myapplemenu.com/2006/03/22/#20060322bg000002>. Sorry for the mistake.

*** Click Click Click Click Ding!
Heng-Cheong Leong

A joke <http://www.myplanet.net/clips3/stupid/SeniorMoment.wmv> for us old folks. (Via Steve Outing <http://www.myplanet.net/clips3/stupid/SeniorMoment.wmv>)

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Announces Office 2007 Delay
<http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6053504.html?part=rss&tag=6053504&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Fresh on the heels of a delay in broad availability of Windows Vista, Microsoft confirmed late Thursday that it is also pushing the mainstream launch of Office 2007 to next year.

*** Microsoft Rearranges Windows Managers
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/23/AR2006032301119.html>
Sara Kehaulani Goo, Washington Post

Microsoft announced a major shakeup in its Windows division yesterday, just 48 hours after it disappointed consumers and PC makers with a delay of its next operating system, Windows Vista.

*** Laptops Prove Weakest Link In Data Security
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114312257582406293-wPtXddxcQoJ_8d_WSlPoMLPx_ac_20070323.html?mod=rss_free>
Jennifer Levitz and John Hechinger, Wall Street Journal

*** The Evolution Of IM
<http://www.techreview.com/InfoTech/wtr_16623,300,p1.html>
Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

Traditional instant-messenging giants like AOL and MSN aren't driving innovation in the field -- the open-source crowd is.

*** Getting Off The Bus After 76 Years Of Work
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-retire23mar23,0,1432550.story>
Nancy Wride, Los Angeles Times

After working for 76 years at public transit agencies, bus maintenance attenant Arthur Winston celebrated his first day of retirement and his 100th birthday Wednesday at a party in the cavernous Los Angeles MTA garage named after him.

*** Supreme Indifference
<http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=31218>
Jonathan Raban, The Stranger

Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor says America may be sliding toward a dictatorship. Why don't American newspapers consider that news?

*** Text Messaging
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arts/2006/artcov0324.html>
Huan Hsu, Washington City Paper

With a photocopier and a pencil, Molly Springfield draws meaning from the printed page.

*** Launch Of Request For Proposals For Sentosa Integrated Resort Delayed
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/199669/1/.html>
Matthias Chan, Channel NewsAsia

In a statement out on Friday, the Singapore Tourism Board says the delay is to allow the board and relevant government agencies to review feedback from potential bidders.

*** Singapore Courts Friends, Wins Enemies
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1738319,00.html>
Simon Tisdall, The Guardian

Singapore's hard-nosed brand of free-wheeling, free-market capitalism, and what critics see as a concomitant lack of concern for democratic rights and civil liberties, has caused controversy.

*** Backlash For Temasek Over 'Singapore Imperialism'
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/3cb817f6-bac5-11da-980d-0000779e2340.html>
John Burton, Financial Times

The Thai protests underscored the fact that Temasek is becoming a target of a nationalist backlash in Asia, with critics raising questions about its close links with the Singapore government and its secretive nature.

*** Businessman Denies Being Temasek Stooge
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=2&news_id=54008&key_word=singapore>
Leslie Lopez, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Care-Rot For A Paper, Anyone?
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2006/03/care-rot-for-paper-anyone.html>
Singapore Life And Times

Many... have moved on to reading only free papers such as Today and electronic papers on the internet.

*** A Bridge We Shouldn't Wait To Cross
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/108723.asp>
Cheong Chee Mun, Today

Let's set the standard and install escalators on overhead bridges.

*** Why Not Spend Now To Save Later?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/108718.asp>
Jeffrey Ho Loon Poh, Today

While money for upgrading is welcome news to the concerned residents, I wonder if how much of the spending could have been avoided had proper planning been done.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]