[MyAppleMenu] Jul 20, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 20 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Shares Surge On Strong Earnings
<http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/95-07202006-686487.html>
Paul Elias, Associated Press

*** Upgrading Those White Earphones? Don't Go By Price
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-technopolis20jul20,1,5382254.column?coll=la-utilities-technology>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

*** Apple On Cell Phones: "We're Not Sitting Around Doing Nothing"
<http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/27629>
Bryan Chaffin, iPodObserver

"We don't think that the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change. And we're not sitting around doing nothing."

*** Macs See Growth Spurt
<http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6096211.html?part=rss&tag=6096211&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

Now that MacBook Pro and iMac systems have been available for several months, and because of the strong demand for MacBook systems released in mid-May, any signs of hesitation among home users appear to have been erased.

*** Apple Reports $472 Million Profit
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/19/applequarter/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple beat analyst's earnings consensus for the quarter of $.44, posting a profit of $.54. The company shipped 1,327,000 Macintosh computers and 8,111,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 12 percent grwoth in Macs and 32 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

*** Podcasting Goes To College
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/07/19/podcastschool/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Fred O'Connor, IDG News Service

Along with packing instant noodles, extra-long bedsheets and photos of loved ones before heading to college in a few weeks, U.S. students may consider adding portable media players to their higher-education lists.

[Opinion]

*** The Real Apple Media Center
<http://www.sparkplug9.com/bizhack/index.php/2006/07/18/the-real-apple-media-center/>
John Koetsier, Sparkplug 9

Yuy -- Apple's iPod. For now, iPod is the media center.

*** Apple Camp, But Not A Sleepover
<http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/wilcox/archives/016622.html>
Joe Wilcox, Jupiter Research

I think other high-tech companies with retail operations, like Dell or Sony, should take a long, hard look at what Apple is doing with these summer educational camps.

*** Mac The Knife?!
<http://marthabarnette.blogspot.com/2006/07/mac-knife.html>
Martha Barnette, Orts

What in the world were the engineers at Apple thinking when they designed the new MacBooks with such sharp edges?

[Sidetrack]

*** Yes, We Have Our Guy
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yes, we have a Windows user who is going to buy a MacBook Pro just to run Windows <http://kevinsmith.wordpress.com/2006/07/20/chinese-buys-macbook-pro-runs-winxp/>.

*** Technology Rewrites The Book
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/technology/20basics.html?ex=1311048000&en=151a98dedf7d8ede&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Peter Wayner, New York Times

The print-on-demand business is gradually moving toward the center of the marketplace.

*** Give Me Swelter
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/19/AR2006071900508.html>
Jura Koncius, Washington Post

Believe it or not, some people don't like air conditioning.

*** It's My Funeral And I'll Serve Ice Cream If I Want To
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/fashion/20funeral.html>
John Leland, New York Times

At a time when Americans hire coaches to guide their careers and retirements, tutors for their children, personal shoppers for their wardrobes, trainers for their abs, whisperers for their pets and -- oh, yes -- wedding planners for their nuptials, it makes sense that some funerals are also starting to benefit from the personal touch.

*** Is There Anything Left That We Can Eat?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/18/AR2006071800309.html>
Candy Sagon, Washington Post

With all the conflicting headlines, no wonder we can't decide what to buy.

*** Greenmarket At 30, Searching For Itself
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/19/dining/19gree.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Kim Severson, New York Times

>From Borough Hall in the Bronx to Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, the new Greenmarkets are disappointing some shoppers and stretching thin both staff and farmers.

*** How We Know
<http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/07/how_we_know.php>
Jonah Lehrer, Seed

What do an algebra teacher, Toyota and a classical musician have in common?

*** Blogger Severely Warned For Christ Cartoons
<http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=3602>
AFP

A Singaporean blogger received a stern warning but escaped possible imprisonment after posting cartoons mocking Jesus Christ on his online journal, police have said.

*** Washington D.C. Falungong Members Requests Singapore To Repeal Arrests
<http://www.epochtimes.com/b5/6/7/19/n1391162.htm>
Dajiyuan

*** Falungong Members In San Francisco Requested Singapore To Repeal Arrests
<http://www.epochtimes.com/b5/6/7/20/n1392323.htm>
Dajiyuan

*** Free NDP Tickets Fetch Premium Prices Online
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/131635.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

In what is fast becoming an annual affair, the online touting of tickets for this year's National Day Parade has begun in earnest -- barely three weeks after the holders got their hands on the passes.

*** Malaysia Says Open To High-Speed Train To Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/220122/1/.html>
AFP

"We are open to the idea," Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi told reporters. "We are also requesting other companies to submit their proposals."

[Opinion]

*** The Mythic Creature Known As The Conservative Singaporean
<http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2006/07/mythic-creature-known-as-conservative.html>
A Xeno Boy In Sg

*** CBD Parking Pains
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/131645.asp>
Poh Yu Seung, Today

Motorcycle parking spaces seem to be vanishing.

*** Serious Flaw In Four-Million-Smiles Ad
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8b3012042478c010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Chiang Meng Lee, Straits Times

*** Bus Rationalisation Done To Benefit Commuters
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c56012042478c010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Amy Hing, Ministry of Transport, Straits Times

Care was taken in past bus-rationalisation exercises to ensure that the majority of commuters benefit in terms of travel times, convenience and cost and that the minority who are affected have alternative services.