[MyAppleMenu] Jul 12, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 12 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Do These Dots Connect?
<http://sf.backfence.com/news/showPost.cfm?myComm=PA&bid=2577>
Dan Gillmor, Backfence.com

In May, Aple's longtime general counsel, Nancy Heinen, left the company in a remarkable quiet manner. The next month, Apple announced that it was looking into some questionable stock options grants.

*** The Apple Store That Wasn't
<http://www.cabel.name/2006/07/apple-store-that-wasnt.html>
Cabel.name

Isn't different and modern, if done well, sometimes good?

*** What Is This Windows Of Which You Speak?
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/07/what_is_this_wi.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

*** Mediocrity Rules In Era Of 'So What?' Technology
<http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=304487&rel_no=1&back_url=>
David Wilson, OhmyNews

We seem to have entered the age of 'So what?' technology, all geek speak, measly upgrades and wussy portable devices for listening to music: pink or olive?

*** MacBook Pro: Three Months Later
<http://dburr.livejournal.com/75288.html>
The Borg Blog

I consider it money well spent.

[Review]

*** Get Organized: A Survey Of Digital Junk Drawer Apps
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/07/11/get-organized-a-survey-of-digital-junk-drawer-apps/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Sidetrack]

*** Rant Today: Where's The Menu Item?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Why, in iTunes, is there no menu item to update podcasts?

*** Don't Press That Key
Heng-Cheong Leong

There are certain keys on the Windows keybaord that are dangerous when paired with certain applications.

The "Ins" key, when used in Microsoft Word, is one. Thankfully, Microsoft finally fixed the problem <http://miksovsky.blogs.com/flowstate/2006/07/insert_key_safe.html> that originated in MS DOS years ago.

Now, if they can only remove the "Del" key in Windows Explorer...

*** Rumor Today: Mac Pro To Be Really Fast
Heng-Cheong Leong

I'm no expert -- heck, I'm not even vaguely familiar with -- on microprocessor chips, but AppleInsider is "confirming" <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1877> that the next version of Power Macintosh, to be renamed Mac Pro, will sport two Intel Xeon 5100 series chips. All I can understand is that it will be really fast while not really consume too much power.

Bascially, it will scream Power without the need to have the word Power in its name.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Hit With 280m Euro Fine
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5171126.stm>
BBC News

*** Ballmer Vows Timelier Windows
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/277229_msftvista12.html>
Todd Bishop, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Steve Ballmer told Microsoft's industry partners Tuesday that future versions of Windows will be developed at a much quicker pace. But on the other side of the world, Bill Gates said acknowledged that the company isn't certain to meet the release schedule of Windows Vista.

*** This Is A Computer On Your Brain
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/medtech/0,71364-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Lakshmi Sandhana, Wired News

A new brain-computer-interface technology could turn our brains into automatic image-identifying machines that operate faster than human consciousness.

*** Rise Of The Socially-Integrated Media Empire
<http://gigaom.com/2006/07/11/the-rise-of-the-socially-integrated-media-empire/>
GigaOM

[Tech & Science]

*** Addressing The Public About Science And Religion
<http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-59/iss-7/p46.html>
Murray Peshkin, Physics Today

Science and religion have different assumptions, different rules of inference, and different definitions of truth or reality. The fence that surrounds science is the test by experiment. That fence is both the greatest strength and the most fundamental limitation of science, and it needs to be respected from both sides. Scientists may have opinions about religion, but they cannot honestly invoke the authority of science when they try to apply the logic of science on the other side of the fence. Similarly, creationists and advocates of intelligent design should not pretend to be conducting a scientific argument.

[Expressions]

*** The One Truth
<http://www.slate.com/id/2140328/>
Philip Schultz, Slate

*** Government Has Duty To Respond To Unjustified Comments: Minister
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/218745/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

"If [Mr Brown] had posted the same comment on his blog, we'll treat it as part of the internet chatter and we would have just let it be! But he didn't post it -- he wrote it and publish it in a mainstream newspaper! That's the difference!"

*** Express Yourself
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,,1817770,00.html>
John Aglionby, The Guardian

In a state where protests are rare, a columnist inspired a small band of Singaporeans to take to the streets.

*** Botanical Gardens Fully Opens It Doors To Visitors After Four Years
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/218540/1/.html>
Noor Mohd Aziz, Channel NewsAsia

The "soft opening" will concide with the opening of a food court named "Taman Serasi Food Garden."

[Opinion]

*** Let Mr Brown Speak
<http://www.yawningbread.org/guest_2006/guw-116.htm>
Eric Tan Heng Chong, Yawningbread.org

We did not see any evidence of an open society.

*** Some Insights Into GIC
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/07/some-insights-into-gic.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Tony Tan says that more than half of GIC employees are professionals. I just wonder how many of these professionals might or might not actually have any relevant experience.

*** Majulah Singapura
<http://lookingforsomeonetolietome.blogspot.com/2006/07/majulah-singapura.html>
Michael Roston, Looking For Someone To Lie To Me

Sacking a newspaper columnist for pointing to some social problems makes the government look more like Mahathir, Suharto, and their other deranged old neighbors every day.

*** MDA Visit
<http://gryphonsoftball.blogspot.com/2006/07/mda-visit.html>
Picnic Party

[MDA] agreed with me that Singapore's press media is going nowhere with such harsh treatment of its journalists, especially those who represent the neutral or anti-establishment view.

*** Singaore And The Gahmen
<http://janus-cryhaven.blogspot.com/2006/07/singapore-and-gahmen.html>
Janus Ong, The 12th Avenue

I pray my son and grandson won't have to see all the ugly shadows on this fair soil we call home.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]