[MyAppleMenu] Jul 13, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 13 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** The Business Of iPods
<http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/15026013.htm>
Joseph Tartakoff, McClatchy Newspapers

Analysts and repair shop managers said the iPod repairs industry is growing because iPods are easy to break and tough to repair.

*** Why Dell, Apple Declined
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jul2006/db20060712_955118.htm?chan=top+news_top+news>
Chaterine Holahan, BusinessWeek

There's growing concern that the U.S. computer industry is in for a bigger slump than previously thought.

*** Apple Limits $899 Edu iMac Availability
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/07/12/educational.imac.removed/>
MacNN

The entry-level configuration is no longer available to individuals, though instituions can still purchase the sysems.

*** Podcasts Popular In The Holodeck
<http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6093494.html?part=rss&tag=6093494&subj=news>
Candace Lombardi, CNET News.com

To whom should you be targeting your podcasts? Apple Computer users, Trekkies and maybe Nike lovers, according to a new survey.

*** Apple Won't Appeal Case Against Online Journalists
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/12/appeal/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Darlymple, Macworld

*** Apple Stock Falls On Analyst Warning
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/12/stock/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple's stock dropped almost five percent in trading today after Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Robert Semple said he expects the company's fiscal fourth-quarter numbers to fall short of Wall Street expectations.

[Opinion]

*** Why Microsoft Should Fear Intel Macs
<http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4954/106/>
Stan Beer, ITWire

The issue for Microsoft is that all of a sudden its users who have bought their first Mac will be exposed to a new operating system which will enable them to do most of the tasks that they have been doing on Windows. Plus the new operating system will be less susceptible to malware, easy to use and have excellent inbuilt features that home users like.

*** Where's Auto-Save 2.0?
<http://www.macuser.com/software/wheres_autosave_20.php>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

*** My Stained MacBok (And What Apple Did About It)
<http://rmfo-blogs.com/raekwon/archives/2006/07/13/my-stained-macbook-and-what-apple-did-about-it/>
Not Another Blog

Good show, Apple. Recognizing what everyone expected you to brush off as "cosmetic damage" as the manufacturing defect that it was and deciding to do something about it.

*** Learning From The French iTunes Legislation
<http://news.com.com/Learning+from+the+French+iTunes+legislation/2010-1071_3-6093168.html>
Tom Jacobs, CNET News.com

*** Apple Beleagured Once Again?
<http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2006/07/apple-beleagured-once-again.html>
Thomas Fitzgerald

*** Use My iPod?! Are You Nuts?!
<http://michael.oldbie.org/2006/07/use_my_ipod_are_you_nuts.html>
Michael Harrison's Head Czech

Sometimes I wish Apple would sacrifice a teeny-weeny bit of the image for some workhorse function. I'd like to be able to put the iPod in my damned pocket without fear that it will be scratched by the lint therein. That's all.

[Sidetrack]

*** Fatal Attractions
Heng-Cheong Leong

Some people have been predicting that Mac OS X will get its "healthy" dose of viruses and worms if the operating system gets popular.

Well, we don't know about that, cause anyway it looks, OS X's marketshare is still no where that high. What we do know is that as Apple the company gets popular, it is attracting its share of lawsuits <http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=637>.

:-)

*** 'Digital Dirt' Derailing Job Seekers
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/190302267>
J. C. Jones, TechWeb

*** Microsoft, Yahoo Connect IM Services
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6093579.html?part=rss&tag=6093579&subj=news>
Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

*** Where Have All The Good Product Managers Gone?
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/itxtreme/archives/2006/07/where_have_all.html>
Paul T. Ryan, InfoWorld

We should focus on satisfying consumer needs, regardless of how old-school that sounds.

*** House Bans Most Online Gambling
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/internet/0,71368-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Associated Press

*** But 'He's Been Making Omelets Since He Was 3...'
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/11/AR2006071100192.html>
Candy Sagon, Washington Post

And other tales from teen cooking camps.

*** Riding The Train In Bombay
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/07/12/bombay_train/index_np.html>
Manish Vij, Salon

A New Yorker explains why he loves riding the rails in the Indian city, and why they're so vulnerable to attack.

*** The Ultimate Crossword Smackdown
<http://www.slate.com/id/2145623/>
Matt Gaffney, Slate

Who writes better puzzles, humans or computers?

*** Flowering Of Cool New Gins
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-gin12jul12,1,4524286.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
Charles Perry, Los Angeles Times

I blame James Bond. Everything started going downhill, cocktail-wise, when he insisted on vodka martinis, shaken, not stirred.

*** Music Matters Too Much To Be Made Easy
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/07/12/bmmusic12.xml&sSheet=/arts/2006/07/12/ixartleft.html>
Frank Furedi, Telegraph

Today, the policy of inclusion makes no attempt to cultivate and elevate the public taste. On the contrary, it regards the taste of the public as something to flatter and celebrate.

*** Bargain Price For Spring Chickens
<http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=89>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

At the Park Avenue Cafe, they're doing the opposite of an early-bird special, which has long been a trick for luring older diners. They're lowering prices later in the evening, in a way that rewards -- and is obviously meant to attract -- younger diners. And they may be ruffling some feathers in the process.

*** Rentals At Marina Bay Sands To Exceed Orchard Road's
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/218877/1/.html>
Tor Ching Li, Today

It will cost more to rent a shop space at the Marina Bay Sands integrated resort than it currently does at Orchard Road, said a Sands senior executive yesterday.

*** Singaporeans The Least Happy People In Asia
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:0de18b7c9d36c010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
AFP, Retuers, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** TODAY's First And Last Word On Mr Brown's Case
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/07/todays-first-last-word-on-mr-browns.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

*** Singaporeans, Retirement & Old Age
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/07/singaporeans-retirement-old-age.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

*** What Is The Next Step?
<http://sporeunderground.blogspot.com/2006/07/what-is-next-step.html>
Singapore Underground

The real issue here is not about costs of living. It is about power and the ways to keep it.

*** Fastest Way To Lose The People's Confidence
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/07/fastest-way-to-lose-peoples-confidence.html>
The Kway Teow Man

Singaporeans will lose confidence in the Garmen even faster if the Garmen anyhow issue lau pok "robust" replies.

*** To Believe In What We Hear Or See
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/07/to-believe-in-what-we-hear-or-see.html>
My Singapore News

The impression created ow is a very high-up authority that talked down to the people and will not hesitate to brush aside any dissenting voice.

*** Singaproeans The Most Unhappy Lot In Asia?
<http://projectbetterman.blogspot.com/2006/07/singaporeans-most-unhappy-lot-in-asia.html>
Me? I'm Just Passing Through

Just go on a holiday and invariably, you'll find it's the Singaporeans who are complaining.

*** What Is Being Singaporean? Why Don't I Feel Singaporean?
<http://solitairejoker.blogspot.com/2006/07/what-is-being-singaporean-why-dont-i.html>
Joseph

Why do I not care if Singapore lives or dies tomorrow?

*** Tell The Truth, But Not The Gotchas
<http://kleb.audacious.per.sg/index.php?/archives/226-Tell-the-truth,-but-not-the-gotchas..html>
Ontological Speculations

*** Issues Churning At NUS Business School
<http://drozbloke.blogspot.com/2006/07/issues-churning-at-nus-business-school.html>
Dr Oz Bloke

I get the impression that Prof Earley thinks that he can spend the school's funds as he sees fit and then justify it later.