[MyAppleMenu] Jul 11, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 11 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** A Top Apple Japan Executive Steps Down
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4038410.html>
Associated Press

Apple Vice President of Marketing Yoshiaki Sakito, one of the company's top Japan executives, has stepped down, the company said. Sakito has been credited with leading a successful marketing push for Apple's iPod portable digital music player in Japan.

*** Windows-Friendly Macs To Boost Apple: Report
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2006/07/10/apple-computer-0710markets07.html>
Forbes

Apple's Boot Camp software, which enables Windows software to run on Mac computers, should positively impact Mac market share as early as the third quarter of this year, according to a new Piper Jaffray research report.

[Opinion]

*** Are Apple's Customers Rebelling?
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71357-0.html?tw=wn_technology_3>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

*** 10 Reasons Why The Microsoft Portable Music Player Will Fail
<http://metroxing.blogspot.com/2006/07/10-reasons-why-microsoft-portable.html>
Metroxing

*** How The "Microsoft iPod" Might Succeed
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17145&ch=infotech>
Wade Roush, MIT Technology Review

Apple may have an 80 percent share of the mobile media-player market, but that doesn't mean the iPod is unassailable.

*** Switching From Windows To Mac
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1986689,00.asp>
Robyn Peterson, PC Magazine

Switching from Windows to OS X caused five "Argh" moments.

*** iPod Spotting
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/07/ipodposters/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

The iPod is rapidly turning into the early 21st century equivalent of the Maidenform Lady -- you never know where one is goig to show up next.

[Wintel]

*** MS: 20% Of WGA Failures Not Caused By Pirated Keys
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=89>
Ed Bott, ZDNet

*** We Aren't All Pirates
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-piracy10jul10,0,2000938.story>
Los Angeles Times

Anti-piracy proposals before Congress could limit innovation and legal uses of technology.

*** Watching The Watchers
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13773301/site/newsweek/>
Johnnie L. Roberts, Newsweek

Media companies want to know who's doing what in the brave new world of online video. The early answers are in.

*** Furor Over Sony Patent
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-sony10jul10,1,4309266.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times

Technology that could prevent resale of games and other digital goods raises speculation, fears.

*** Is Wieght The New Race?
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/woman/story/0,,1813081,00.html>
Rachel Cooke, The Observer

Do we demonise the obese purely on health grounds, or is it a gut reaction based on prejudice?

[Ramblings]

*** Talking To MediaCorp
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yesterday <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2006/07/10/#20060710bg000001>, I e-mailed MediaCorp asking why there is no on-air acknowledgment when television programme is being funded (entirely or partially) by our money via the television licensing scheme. MediaCorp replied to me this morning, but I don't quite understand the reply, so I e-mailed back, seeking for clarifications.

I'll report back when I understand what MediaCorp is trying to say.

[News]

*** Singapore's 'Martyr,' Chee Soon Juan
<http://www.feer.com/articles1/2006/0607/free/p024.html>
Hugo Restall, Far Eastern Economic Review

"You don't vote out a dictatorship. And bascially that's what Singapore is, albeit a very sophisticated one. It's not possible for us to effect change just through the ballot box. They've got control of everything else around us."

*** Singapore's Lee Says GIC Has Earned Average 9.5% Over 25 Years
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aXXGpMAunVoY&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

The Government of Singapore Investment Corp., which manages more than $100 billion of the city-state's reserves, has earned an average 9.5 percent a year since its inception in 1981, Chairman Lee Kuan Yew said.

*** Silent Protest In Subway For Muzzled Blogger
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=48777>
South China Morning Post

*** So Mum Can Stay Hired
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/129813.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

Incentives, changes in law proposed to keep pregnant employees from losing their jobs.

[Opinion]

*** Uncomfort//Taxis
<http://beconfused.com/blog/2006/07/11/uncomfort-taxis/>
Beconfused

*** Is Our Vote Secret?
<http://feynmanboson.blogspot.com/2006/07/is-our-vote-secret.html>
The Feynman Boson

*** Sir... This Product Is Very Good For You!!!
<http://projectbetterman.blogspot.com/2006/07/sir-this-product-is-very-good-for-you.html>
Me? I'm Just Passing Through

*** Be Careful Now. You Wouldn't Want To Be Caught Flying The State Flag For An Extra Day, Would You?
<http://cyclingturtle.blogspot.com/2006/07/be-careful-now-you-wouldnt-want-to-be.html>
Chelonia Munnster

Just let the flags be displayed and be flown without all these barriers and 'trial periods'.