[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 10 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** FileMaker 8.5 Now Universal, Features Live Web Data
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/10/filemaker/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Among the new features in FileMaker Pro 8.5 is the ability to add a live web page to a record in your database using the Web Viewer Control.

*** Is Apple Feeling The Heat?
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164934.stm>
Darren Waters, BBC News

Apple has one of the strongest brands in the world. But are reported problems with some its newest products in danger of damaging that reputation?

*** Apple Delays Scandinavian iTunes Reaction
<http://www.out-law.com/page-7083>
Out-law.com

*** Hilary Rosen: Singing A New Song?
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71338-0.html?tw=wn_politics_1>
Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired News

*** iPod Follows 'I Do' At Trendy Rites
<http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/LIVING/607090318/1007/LIVING>
Mary C. Schneidau, Cox News Service

Sue Lin Yee and Jeff Hawthorne wanted the music they loved, and they wanted to control how it was played.

[Opinion]

*** dotMAC, Time For A Makeover?
<http://gigaom.com/2006/07/09/dotmac-time-for-a-makeover/>
Om Malik, Om Malik's Broadband Blog

The $99-a-year service in the words falls woefully short of Apple's otherwise high standards.

[Review]

*** Parallels Desktop 1.0 For Mac OS X
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/parallels.ars>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

People pondering the switch to a MacBook can rest assured that with the exception of USB device support and hardware accelerated 3-D applications, their needs will be well met by this little workhorse of a program.

*** Call of Duty 2
<http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/review_call_of_duty_2/>
Kirk Hiner, Applelinks

*** Optimizing AirPort Connectivity
<http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/hardware/optimizing_airport_connectivity>
Adam Knight, Mac Geekery

[Sidetrack]

*** The iPod Won Because Of The Macintosh?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Did Creative, Rio and other Windows-based MP3 players ever had a chance of winning?

Remember Apple did have its iPod only available for the Mac for quite a long time, before the MP3 player gained Windows compatibility? Plenty of time for all the other players to play catch-up, but they didn't. Why?

There is really only one major difference between a Macintosh PC and a WIndows PC at that time. One simple significant difference: FireWire. None of the ports on the average Windows PC at that time have a port that is as simple and as fast as FireWire, which bascially mean that none of the MP3 manufacturers can have something that has tons of storage and fast and simple to use.

The iPod gained popularity not just because Apple made the whole digital music ecosystem. It won because Apple also made the digital hub.

Maybe Creative shouldn't have gotten out of the PC-making business <http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=590>, eh? :-)

*** Rumor Today: Pages Looking More Like A Word Processor
Heng-Cheong Leong

I haven't used Pages -- part of Apple's iWork suite -- but the way I hear it being described is typically a strange beast that is more like a layout application rather than a word processing application, but is neither here nor there. Jack of all trades, but master of none, I guess.

But if rumors from ThinkSecret <http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0607pages3.html> are accurate, Apple is realising this shortfall, and is fixing the problem in the next version of Pages. And if the spreadsheet does materialise, it seems that iWork '07 might well be the first really great version of the office suite.

Next on the to-do list: a Filemaker Lite?

*** A Quick Note On Click Fraud
<http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000470073786/>
Mark Cuban, Blog Maverick

Its not a self-correcting problem.

*** Cyber-Savvy Pastors Blog When The Spirit Moves Them
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/08/AR2006070800862.html>
Megan Greenwell, Washington Post

In the four years since pastor Ben Arment started the site, blogging has become as much an instrument of his faith as the pulpit.

*** Will The 'Tail' Kill The Water Cooler?
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13770614/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

Increasingly, we're eschewing blockbuster trends to pursue our own quirky interests.

*** Google CEO On Click Fraud: 'Let It Happen' Is Perfect Economic Solution
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=219>
Donna Bogatin, ZDNet

*** Spyware Developers Net Huge Profits, Outrage
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13757388/>
BusinessWeek

[World]

*** Fear As A Weapon
<http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2006/07/fear_as_a_weapon.html>
Glenn Greenwald, Mother Jones

How the Bush administration got away with its abuses of power.

*** What's An Iraqi Life Worth?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/07/AR2006070701155.html>
Andrew J. Bacevich, Washington Post

In Iraq, lives differ in value -- and so do deaths. In this disparity lies an important reason why the United States has botched this war.

[Ramblings]

*** Do We (And Our Money) Exist In Mediacorp's Eyes?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I've send the following e-mail feedback to feedback at mediacorp.com.sg ...

I've noticed that when a television programme's production or acquisition cost is being funded entirely or partially by a business or an organization, the name of the sponsor is being acknowledged with a few second's spot before and after the television programme.

However, when a television programme's production or acquisition cost is being funded entirely or partially by monies collected via television license, this fact is never acknowledged on-air.

Why is there such a discrepancy? Is MediaCorp taking money collected via the television licensing scheme for granted?

Thanks. I hope to hear from you soon.

Heng-Cheong

[News]

*** SMRT Taxi's New Fares Same As ComfortDelgro's
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/218236/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** One Tough Cookie
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/9/focus/14774091&sec=focus>
Frankie Chee, The Star

Eunice Olsen is a beauty with a purpose. The former Miss Singapore Universe and Nominated Member of Parliament, who last week received Singapore's Youth Award, uses her multitude of talents to help society.

*** Falling Back On Autopilot
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/9/focus/14774318&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

In a changed world that now competes on free-flowing ideas, Singapore's tradition of choosing the best scholars to run an over-regulated nation is increasingly being questioned.

*** KL Govt Not Aware Of Temasek Plan To Raise AirAsia Stake
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Monday/Nation/20060709233707/Article/>
Roziana Hamasawi, Malaysia Business Times

*** Singapore Lifts Entry Ban On Two Malaysian Activists
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f0c3119a1c35c010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Ben Nadarajan, Straits Times

Two prominent Malaysian activists barred from entering Singapre for nearly two decades because they protested against the 1987 detention of 22 alleged Marxists, have had the restrictions lifted.

[Opinion]

*** On The Management Of Dissent
<http://tantarnhow.blogspot.com/2006/07/on-management-of-dissent.html>
Tan Tarn How

It may be useful to examine the case of the suspension of mr brown's column by Today from the point of view of how the PAP government manages dissent.

*** Singaporeans Are Not Fed, Up With Non-Partisianism
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/114761.html>
mollymeek

*** As Regards TODAY
<http://miyagi.sg/?p=1182>
Mr. Miyagi

Following the events of last week and many many long discussions between brown and myself, today I told TODAY that I quit.

*** Brown-Out II: Bloggers Solidarity, Mr Brown Posterity
<http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2006/07/09/brown-out-ii-eight-days-after-bloggers-show-solidarity/>
Elia Diodati, E Pur Si Muove

*** Constructive Debate?
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/07/constructive-debate.html>
My Singapore News

Was there a constructive debate? I think everyone will find this part missing. It was a talk down approach. No need further discussion. Mr Brown had touched on something unacceptable, crossed the OB line. Out you go.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Noise Is Therapy
<http://www.songs.myvirtualband.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/18/noise-is-therapy/>
Tony Bargardo, Jason Evangelho, Skip Kavanaugh, Peter Dieck
<http://www.files.myvirtualband.com//Shingles/Shingles_PD_Mix3.mp3>