[MyAppleMenu] Jan 23, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 23 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Jobs Stands To Gain From Disney-Pixar Deal
<http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/la-fi-jobs23jan23,0,6977005.story?coll=la-home-headlines>
Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times

What does Steve Jobs want?

*** Generation Gap: iPod Changing Our Music
<http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/featr/content/features/stories/2006/01/22/SNS0122GapIpods.html>
Jessica Sunderland, Springfield News Sun

*** Apple Of Their Eye
<http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/01/22/business/104418.txt>
Chris Anderson, The Pantagraph

[Review]

*** With Video iPod, DVDs And Fave Shows Are Close At Hand
<http://sltrib.com/lifestyle/ci_3428345>
Vince Horiuchi, Salt Lake Tribune

Watching television on a 2 1/2-inch video screen seems as strangely satisfying to me as watching shows on a 61-inch screen. That's the effect the new video iPod had on me.

*** The Best Of Everything For Your iPod
<http://www.hometheatermag.com/ipodaccessories/0106ipodacc/>
Chris Chiarella, Home Theater

If you already have the iPod, get ready for the add-on gear that will make the most of it on the go, in the car, and in the home theater.

*** Run Cell Phone, iPod On Solar Power
<http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/BUSINESS/601220357/1003/BUSINESS>
Brian Bergstein, Associated Press

[Wintel]

*** Linux Not Standing In Wait As Microsoft Sinks Its Own Ship
<http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/52350/>
LXer

*** The War For The Digital Home
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060123_465596.htm?campaign_id=topStories_ssi_5>
Cliff Edwards, BusinessWeek

Skirmishes between PC makers and consumer-electronics outfits are already raging. Consumers will be the ultimate winners.

*** This Time, The Revolution Will Be Televised
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/business/yourmoney/22frenzy.html?ex=1295586000&en=5fd2db0129c8ff0a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Richard Silklos, New York Times

Convergence is back, but it is not what it used to be. Following its release after about five years in the halfway house for overblown business ideas. it has been swiftly rehabilitated in the form of various online-offline business ventures.

[World]

*** David's Friend Goliath
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3331&print=1>
Michael Mandelbaum, Foreign Policy

The rest of the world complains that American hegemony is reckless, arrogant, and insensitive. Just don't expect them to do anything about it. The world's guilty secret is that it enjoys the security and stability the United States provides. The world won't admit it, but they will miss the American empire when it's gone.

[Tech & Science]

*** Message In A Bottle
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113751632447848689-5m3tp2RFUQU7FrdPlxAvNc7s7Hs_20070122.html?mod=rss_free>
Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

Even before New Horizons discovers anything, it raises a question we'll have to answer closer to home: What kind of messages should we accompany our space probes?

[Life]

*** The Anti-Anti-American
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/01/22/the_anti_anti_american/>
Laura Winters, Boston Globe

A French philosopher retraces Tocqueville's steps to see if America is really as bad as his countrymen say it is.

*** Rail At Crossroads
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/01/22/rail_at_a_crossroads/>
Brian Kladko, Boston Globe

Commuter rail has long had a daunting task: getting people in the suburbs to forsake their cars, if only for two trips a day. But attracting riders is getting even harder.

*** Thai PM's Family Sells Shin Stake
<http://www.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/01/23/thaksin.shincorp.reut/index.html>
Reuters

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family sold their controlling stake in Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasek Holdings for $1.87 billion in the country's biggest foreign buyout. The deal would give Temasek a foothold in the lucrative Thai mobile phone market, while enabling Thaksin to dodge conflict of interest concerns that have dogged him in recent months.

*** Indonesian Maid Climbs Out Kitchen Window
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillatestnews.asp?fileid=20060123114347&irec=0>
DPA

An Indonesian maid who was accidentaly locked in her employer's kitchen made a harrowing escape out the window rather than waking the sleeping young boy in her charge, news reports said on Monday.

*** Temasek Says Not Selling Singapore Assets For Overseas Growth
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=arswinJFecAM&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

"We're slowly adjusting our portfolio; not by selling Singapore assets but by investing overseas to rebalance," Temasek Chairman Suppiah Dhanabalan said in an interview in Singapore yesterday.

*** The Workers' Party On Those Four 'Time Bombs'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/96784.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>