[MyAppleMenu] Jan 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 22 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** The iPodization Of The Nation
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2002751827_ces22.html>
Gary Dretzka, Seattle Times

[Opinion]

*** What Are These Coupons For, Anyway?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/01/22/what-are-these-coupons-for-anyway/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Now That You've Switched... Switch Everyone Else
<http://seanlynch.ca/?p=17>
Blank Tycoon

[Review]

*** iLife '06
<http://www.insidestretch.com/2006/01/22/ilife-06/>
Inside Stretch

Maybe Apple should have taken the hint since GarageBand 1, that we, the users, don't always have 300GB of free space for Garageband loops on the system hard drive.

*** The New iMac Dazzles, But Hold That Purchase
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/21/AR2006012100163.html>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

Waiting a little will give Apple time to find and fix bugs, then work on taking better advantage of Intel processors. It will give the developers of Mac software time to rewrite more programs as universal releases -- or at least make sure that their current releases function correctly under Rosetta.

[Sidetrack]

*** Wishlist Of The Day
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yes, I would like to see a Pixar's Fantasia 2010.

*** A Generation Serves Notice: It's A Moving Target
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/business/yourmoney/22youth.html?ex=1295586000&en=d23ac478d7340911&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
Tom Zeller Jr, New York Times

The number of vehicles through which young people find entertainment and information (and one another) makes them a moving target for anyone hoping to capture their attention.

*** Why America Has To Be Fat
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/21/AR2006012100180.html>
Michael S. Rosenwald, Washington Post

In many ways, my being fat also makes me pretty good for the economy.

*** Eat, Memory: Orange Crush
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/magazine/22food.html>
Yiyun Li, New York Times

To think that all the dreams of my youth were once contained in this Tang commercial drink.

*** The Pleasure Of The Text
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/magazine/22wwln_lead.html>
Charles McGrath, New York Times

This may be the universal attraction of text-messaging, in fact: it's a kind of avoidance mechanism that preserves the feelling of communication -- the immediacy -- without, for the most part, the burden of actual intimacy or substance.

*** The Mystery Of The Rude Waiter
<http://www.slate.com/id/2134489/>
Tim Harford, Slate

I don't want to complain, but my favorite lunchtime haunt has the rudest waiter I've ever encountered -- and I don't think it's an accident.

*** Pushing For Return Of Dialects
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/22/focus/13171499&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

*** Police Overreacted To White Elephant T-Shirt Incident: DPM Wong
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/189327/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng on Saturday apologised for the way the police overreacted to a group of school girls' plan to sell and wear white elephant T-shirts at the opening of Buangkok Station.

[Opinion]

*** Addicted To Regulation
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/01/addicted-to-regulation-singapore.html>
Singabloodypore