[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 23 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Has iPod's Hit Parade Stalled?
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6108460.html?tag=6108460>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

After years of cranking out hit iPod models, has Apple hit a wall?

*** iPod Gray Market Booms In India
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/mac/0,71639-0.html?tw=wn_index_1>
Scott Carney, Wired News

While Windows machines enjoy low prices because they're produced locally, Apple products have to make their way from production facilities in China. Along the way, they pick up several cost-inflating customs stamps. Shopkeepers have responded by smuggling huge loads of illegal iPods and MacBooks from Singapore, Dubai and Malaysia.

*** Apple Shareholders Sue Apple
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=15635>
Macworld UK

*** Trade Unions Miffied At Apple
<http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33851>
Steve Nosejob, The Inquirier

Confederation of Free Trade Unions has slammed Apple's whitewash of conditions at Foxconn's Chinese plant.

[Opinion]

*** Switching From Windows To Mac, Part II
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2007065,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
Robyn Peterson, PC Magazine

The Mac culture will woo Windows users, at least it wooed me.

*** Is Windows Inherently More Vulnerable To Malware Attacks Than OS X?
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/08/is_windows_inhe.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

Pretty soon any debate with Microsoft over security can be ended in one round when Apple stands up, says "launchd," and sits back down.

*** Migrating To Apple
<http://www.it-director.com/article.php?id=13444&msu=rss>
Robin Bloor, IT-Director.com

If straws in the wind are anything to go by, there is now a very clear Mac migration in progress.

*** Powerless
<http://beust.com/weblog/archives/000408.html>
Otaku, Cedric's Weblog

How come all the laptops I've had before the MacBook Pro had the "old way" kind of a connector that doesn't really react well to a brutal lateral move, but it's never been a problem, and then I get a Mac that solves this problem I never had, but that I suddenly begin to have it a lot...

*** Does iTunes Charge Podcasters?
<http://www.paulcolligan.com/2006/08/22/does-itunes-charge-podcasters/>
Paul Colligan's Profitable Podcasting

No. Apple has one job and one job with this whole crazy Apple/iTunes/Podcasting/Television/Movie Rentals thing. That's to sell iPods.

*** The Life And Death Of Virtual PC For Mac
<http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/archive/2006/08/22/713209.aspx>
Go Ahead, Mac My Day

We said that bringing VPC to the MacTels would be like doing a v1. That's true, but it's not the whole story. It's not just the VPC v8 would be like doing a v1. It's that VPC v9 could also be just like doing a v1, or maybe it would be VPC v10.

*** An iPod For TV
<http://www.slate.com/id/2148104/>
Steven Johnson, Slate

How Apple could make it work.

*** 8GB Flash And The iPod Nano
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/08/6gbnano/index.php?lsrc=todayatpl>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

8GB nano would make the iPod middle child "more real" to me.

[Review]

*** My MacBook Review
<http://www.kumar.com/blog/archives/2006/08/my_macbook_revi.html>
My Little Underground

*** Use Of The Function Keys On Portable Computers
<http://blog.smalldog.com/article/320/use-of-the-function-keys-on-portable-computers>
Art Hendrickson, Barkings!

[Sidetrack]

*** For Those Who Read Chinese...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Don't politicise iPod Factory Problem <http://www.beimac.cn/?p=199>.

*** YouTube's New Ad Model
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/15332554.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Michelle Quinn, San Jose Mercury News

*** Linux Heavies Plan Lightweight Virtualization
<http://news.com.com/2100-7339_3-6108272.html?part=rss&tag=6108272&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

Red Hat and Novell, the two top Linux sellers, have only just begun building Xen virtualization software into their products. But they're already planning to add a higher-level option.

[Tech & Science]

*** I &#9829; Pluto
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/opinion/23kreider.html?ex=1313985600&en=8975203e9ab43806&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Tim Kreider, New York Times

My love for our picked-on ninth planet is deeply, perhaps embarrassingly, personal.

[Life]

*** Restaurateurs See Faux Pas In Ban On Foie Gras
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/22/AR2006082201053.html>
Kari Lydersen, Washington Post

Don't come between foodies and their foie gras.

*** Extreme Dining
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1856159,00.html>
Oliver Burkeman, The Guardian

In the wake of Super Size Me, it looked as if the fast-food giants were embracing healthy eating, with salads appearing on every menu. But that's all over.

*** Information... Slightly Coloured By Prejudice
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=2v5qd52kkmy77w2py5b77rrpt9vz9k5c>
Lawrence Biemiller, Chronicle Of Higher Education

Aficionados rank the 1911 edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica among the finest encyclopedias ever produced, and it is unmatched as recreation for the mind -- an intoxicating blend of unparalleled erudition, unexpected facts, and unreconstructed 19th-century attitudes.

[Expressions]

*** December 12, 1884: George Cooke
<http://www.slate.com/id/2141993/>
Jill McDonough, Slate

*** Inflation Eases In Singapore
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/23/business/singecon.php>
Bloomberg

The inflation rate in Singapore slowed in July for the first time in three months as the strengthening Singapore dollar helped make imported goods cheaper, the city-state's Department of Statistics said Wednesday.

*** ASEAN Agrees To Accelerate Single Market Plans In 5 Years
<http://www.chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?ID=88576&GRP=A>
Associated Press

Southeast Asian trade ministers seeking to blunt growing competition from China and India agreed Tuesday to an accelerated timetable to turn their region into an EU-style economic community by 2015, the bloc's secretary-general said.

*** The Void Deck Interview: WP Chairman Sylvia Lim
<http://www.thevoiddeck.org/index.php?itemid=217>
The Void Deck

*** Lee Hsien Loong Watch
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/08/lee-hsien-loong-watch.html>
Singapore Election Watch

*** Police To Examine Practicality Of Alternative Sites Given By World Bank For Protests
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/226278/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

In a statement, Singapore police said that they will examine the practicality of allowing protests at sites suggested by the World Bank.

*** Mrbrown Stands Firm But Says Government Has Right To Respond
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=51351>
Straits Times

The blogger also believes that media purposely did not publish any public responses to his suspended column.

*** Singapore Asked To Waive Protest Ban
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/138016.asp>
938Live, Agencies

The World Bank wants Singapore to waive its ban on outdoor protests so as to allow civil society organisations to hold demonstrations. A spokesman from the Singapore Police Force, however, said Singapore will not waive the current rules on outdoor demonstrations and processions.

[Opinion]

*** Welcoming Foreign Talents Policy Seems So Right Now
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/08/welcoming-foreign-talents-policy-seems.html>
My Singapore News

Will this be another big regret 30 years down the road?

*** I Want A Foreign Talent Minister In Our Singapore Government
<http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2006/08/i-want-3-foreign-talent-ministers-in.html>
Urbanrant

We need foreign talents. But the place that needs them the most, looks like the least likely to welcome them with open arms.

*** When Will We Stop Messing With The Quotas?
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/08/when-will-we-stop-messing-with-quotas.html>
The Kway Teow Man

*** The Speech Is Filled With Everything But People Are Obsessed With mee Siam Mai Hum
<http://www.myfat4.com/2006/08/22/the-speech-is-filled-with-everything-but-people-are-obsessed-with-mee-siam-mai-hum/>
The World Of Fat4

How can a mee siam be called a mee siam if there is no chilli. Might as well call it fried bee hoon.

*** Rebuilding The Youth Movement In Singapore
<http://s24projectworkers.blogspot.com/2006/08/rebuilding-youth-movement-in-singapore.html>
Political Youths For Singapore

*** You Say Protest, We Say No
<http://boyanmetal.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-say-protest-we-say-no.html>
Boyanmental Ops Room

In Singapore, there is no future in staging protest.

*** Mr Wang Is Right
<http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2006/08/mr-wang-is-right.html>
A Xeno Boy In Sg

When PM Lee in his Rally Speech delivers the ultimate punchline to lay the bak chor mee to rest, to signal government's engagement with the digital age Singaporean, those dreaming of somewhere else, he utters the phrase "Mee Siam Mai Hum". This becomes an instant classic of dis-connect.

*** The Costs Of Retiring Too Early
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:418d95c0f173d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Linda Lim, Straits Times

The time has come to let the labour and capital markets, rather than rigid instituional practices, decide at what age individuals should retire.

*** When Police Will Act On A Non-Seizable Offence
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:fe36395ae463d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Audrey Ang, Singapore Police Force, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Lonely Flight - Savage Eye Mix
<http://www.songs.myvirtualband.com/index.php/archives/2006/06/25/lonely-flight-savage-eye-mix/>
Todd Moyer, Skip Kavanaugh, Sprudhorn, Jerry Collins
<http://www.files.myvirtualband.com/BJ/SavageEye-LonelyFlight-Live-JerryRemix2.mp3>