[MyAppleMenu] Aug 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 22 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** BMW Increases iPod Support
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15633>
Macworld UK

*** September Shall Be The Bearer Of An Apple Special "Presentation"
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/8/21/5064>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

*** For Macs In Schools It's Death By A Thousand Cuts
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/for-macs-in-schools-its-death-by-a-thousand-cuts/2006/08/21/1156012466395.html>
Louisa Hearn, Sydney Morning Herald

The PC versus Mac debate has once again been ignited, this time in a campaign to raise awareness of the plight of teachers in Australia reporting a dwindling level of support for Apple laptops in schools.

*** Doctor's Orders: Automation On The Mac
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/cleveland/>
Sam McMillan, Apple

[Opinion]

*** iPod Factories: No Unions
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71629-0.html?tw=wn_technology_2>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

*** Anti-Apple News Popular?
<http://www.bwana.org/2006/08/21/anti-apple-news-popular/>
bwana.org

*** The Decline Of WWDC
<http://db.tidbits.com/article/8648>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

It's distressing to see how WWDC has become more and more unpleasant for the attendees each year.

*** Final First Impressions Of Leopard
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/08/leofinal/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

*** The Curious Case Of The Supposed MacBook Wi-Fi Hack
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/08/curious_case>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

I see no way out of this where Maynor and Ellch escape with their reputations intact.

[Review]

*** Secure Transfer Using Civil Netizen And Pando
<http://db.tidbits.com/article/8649>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

*** The Family Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/smart_macs/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

How Apple's desktop computers compare.

[Sidetrack]

*** What Will Mao Think?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Imagine this: the overworked poor *workers* in *communist* China working for a boss from the KMT Taiwan has to be rescued by a company from capitalist United States that is being run by an ex-hipp.

Did anyone check the Great Hall of the People, to see if Chairman Mao has turned over in his grave?

:-)

*** It Is Time For Web 3.0 (And .Mac 3.0 Too)
Heng-Cheong Leong

And what, you may ask, is Web 3.0? Please allow me to list them:

1. Do not store anything on the server, except for things the customers explicitly ask to store on the server. So, a photo sharing web site should store the JPEGs, but not the search log. Put the log on the client machine, and let the client machine make use of the log if necessary to make searchers smarter, for example.

2. Everything that is stored on the server must be encrypted, except for things the customers explicitly ask not to encrypt. The server shouldn't be able to decrypt anything by itself.

Apple, time to leapfrog ahead your competitors with .Mac. We deserve something insanely great, and not a me-too product when compared to the likes of Google, MSN, and Yahoo!

What other essential rules do you have for Web 3.0 / .Mac 3.0? (1.0 is iTools, 2.0 is today.) Send them in to me at webmaster at myapplemenu.com <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>, and I'll expand this list with interesting ideas.

*** AOL Moves To Increase Privacy On Search Queries
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/22/technology/22aol.html>
Tom Zeller Jr, New York Times

*** Survey: 'Working 8 To 6' The New Way To Make A Living
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2006550,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Deborah Rothberg, eWeek

*** Is Plasama Doomed?
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060821-7548.html>
Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

[Tech & Science]

*** The Fame Motive
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/22/health/psychology/22fame.html>
Benedict Carey, New York Times

In recent years, a small number of social scientists have begun to study and think about fame in a different way, ranking it with other goals, measuring its psychological effects, characterizing its devoted seekers.

[Life]

*** Cityscape Of Fear
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/08/22/architecture/index_np.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Salon

American architecture is still reeling from the 9/11 attacks. Critics and architects say that security now trumps design, as barricades and mall-like plazas are sucking the soul of urban life.

[Expressions]

*** How Was It To Be Dead?
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060828fi_fiction>
Richard Ford, New Yorker

*** Far East To Build Tallest Retail-Only Development In Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/226238/1/.html>
Matthias Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Orchard Central will boast 10-storeys and two basements, yielding some 290,000 square feet of retail space.

*** How To Clone Switzerland
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501060828-1229210,00.html>
Neel Chowdhury, Time

Tiny Singapore is becoming a wealth-management haven by cleverly mimicking what made Zurich and Geneva rich.

*** Singaporeans Divided Over Foreign Talents
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/226161/1/.html>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

*** PM: My Differences With Dr Mahathir Will Not Affec Asean
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/22/nation/15207282&sec=nation>
The Star

*** Want Stem Cells? Head To Singapore
<http://news.com.com/2061-11128_3-6107716.html>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

If you're a researcher in need of human embryonic stem cells, book a flight to the island state of Singapore.

*** Thailand To Probe Thaksin Firm Sale To Singapore
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Tuesday/Corporate/BT582794.txt/Article/>
Malaysia Business Times

The Commerce Ministry-led investigation will decide whether Temasek's US$3.8 billion purchase of Shin Corp in January from the family of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra broke laws barring foreign control of strategic businesses.

*** Former NKF Manager First To Be Convicted
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/137763.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

[Opinion]

*** On Immigrants, Emigrants And Dual Citizenship
<http://samaryn.com/2006/08/21/on-immigrants-emigrants-and-dual-citizenship/>
A Gecko's Tale

As increasing numbers of Singaporeans work overseas and fulfil the citizenship requirements of their resident countries, our Singapore government will have to work doubly hard to convince them not to surrender their Singapore citizenship.

*** Reflections On Heartware
<http://solitairejoker.blogspot.com/2006/08/reflections-on-heartware.html>
Joseph

Positive responses about your own home country will only come about from a forged deep relationship betwen the individual and the state.

*** This Was Just Weird
<http://empty-vessels.blogspot.com/2006/08/this-was-just-weird_115620448980333399.html>
Empty_vessels

I mean, it's one thing to say "look, there're going to be hackers that are going to be busy trying to hack the Singapore interweb" and it's another to say "comrades, there are malevolent elements who will try to instigate chaos by spreading non-party approved propoganda. Down with the corrupt west with their capitalistic imperial dogma!".

*** My Country And I
<http://veraceline.nomadlife.org/2006/08/my-country-and-i.aspx>
Just Celine

*** Identifying The Ideological Construct Used By The Ruling Party The First Step Towards Defeating It?
<http://aserialnumberonmyvote.blogspot.com/2006/08/identifying-ideological-construct-used.html>
A Serial Number On My Vote

*** To B oost Births, Reform The CPF
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/137756.asp>
Tan Keng Soon, Today

I propose that when our children start working, they pay into their mother's CPF which she can withdraw when she reaches the age of, say, 55.

*** Babies And Foreigners
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/babies-foreigners.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Whether or not you choose to have a child, you will still have to compete with foreigners in Singapore.

*** NUS Rag & Flag: Suicidal Spectacle?
<http://youth.sg/blog/2006/08/21/nus-rag-flag-suicidal-spectacle/>
The Youth.SG Blog

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu