[MyAppleMenu] Aug 21, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 21 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** How Apple's Firmware Leapfrogs BIOS PCs
<http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/7CC25766-EF64-4D85-AD37-BCC39FBD2A4F.html>
RoughlyDrafted

[Opinion]

*** Tips For New Mac Converts, From A Veteran, Devoted User
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0608210157aug21,1,5269086.story?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed>
Alex L. Goldfayn, Chicago Tribune

*** Can Hard Drive Phones Kill The iPod?
<http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=12650>
Daniel Dwase, American Chronicle

I think we still have a few years out before the phone overtakes the MP3 player, but the trend has already started.

*** A Letter To Apple
<http://web.lemuria.org/wordpress/?p=9>
Here Be Dragons

The region locking doesn't fit my lifestyle, it doesn't fit hte modern world, and I personally have fought legal battles against it.

[Review]

*** Apple GarageBand 2
<http://audiovideo.consumerelectronicsnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=31007>
Dave Nagel, Digital Media Online

*** Accessories To Jazz Up Your iPod
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/18/AR2006081801080.html>
Associated Press

[Sidetrack]

*** The Joke That Never Gets Old
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here's a tribute <http://www.macuser.com/humor/letterman_helps_gates_say_good.php> to Microsoft's Bill Gates by David Letterman, with a very used and old (but still good) twist at the end.

:-)

*** Continual Innovation Depends On Good Planning
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2004004,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Peter Coffee, eWeek

In an IT department that's being run as a node of business strategy, the question is never, "What can be done?" The question is, "What's worth doing?"

*** The YouTube Election
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/weekinreview/20lizza.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1156129257-iRVwzvBXpcZcDik0g6YyHA>
Ryan Lizza, New York Times

August, usually the sleepiest month in politics, has suddenly become raucous, thanks in part to YouTube, the vast videosharing web site.

*** Mind Over Menu
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081500666.html>
April Witt, Washington Post

Michel Richard wanted to be a great chef so badly he could taste it.

*** Odd And Proud
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw08202006/2003206272_pacificpfans20.html>
Richard Seven, Seattle Times

For the smart and off-beat, the fantasy world is a better place.

*** Run For Your Lives!
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/08/20/run_for_your_lives/>
Charles P. Pierce, Boston Globe

A plea to our weather forecasters: stop scaring us to death.

*** TV's Golden Age
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2006/08/21/golden_age/index_np.html>
Heather Havrilesky, Salon

The idiot box has gained some serious IQ points in the last decade. So let us behold: Television as fulfilling as anything at your local multiplex.

[Expressions]

*** California History, 1962
<http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-nucalstory34aug20,1,2913853.story?coll=la-headlines-west>
Elizabeth Danek, Los Angeles Times

*** More Students Being Offered Unconditional Admissions, Overseas University Scholarships
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/226023/1/.html>
Joanna Leow, Channel NewsAsia

Top Singapore students from polytechnics and junior colleges are being offered unconditional admission and bond-free scholarships from renowned overseas universities.

*** Singapore Must Promote Immigration As birth Rate Drops, PM Says
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/21/apworld/20060821122245&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

"We have to bring in new immigrants. If our population shrinks, Singapore will face a very serious problem."

*** Singapore's Anti-Corruption System Is Healthy; NKF Is An Isolated Case
<http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp060821_504.html>
Lianhe Zaobao

*** ASEAN Rushes To Create EU-Style Market
<http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15320610.htm>
Eileen Ng, Associated Press

*** Najib: No Trade-Off Between Bridge And SOvereignty
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/National/20060821080247/Article/local1_html>
New Straits Times

Malaysia will not trade its sovereignty for a bridge across the Johor Strait to replace the Causeway, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said yesterday.

*** Singapore Sees Dr M-Abdullah Differences Affecting 'Asean Climate'
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=215084>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

The overall outlook of Asean remains favourable although some member countries are facing difficulties, a situation which could affect "the climate of Asean", Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

[Opinion]

*** Flogging A Dead Brown Horse
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/08/flogging-dead-brown-horse.html>
The Kway Teow Man

The real problem is that the perception that there was no right of hearing.

*** You Are What You Don't Eat
<http://thebodyishidden.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-are-what-you-dont-eat.html>
Nicholas Zeng, Abalone Mushrooms

*** To Improve Singapore's Birth Rate
<http://onlygayswriteblogs.blogspot.com/2006/08/to-improve-singapores-birth-rate.html>
A Blogful Of Shit

Free air-conditioning is a prerequisite to more babies.

*** The Other Ang Moh In Ang Mo Kio
<http://mercermachine.blogspot.com/2006/08/other-ang-moh-in-ang-mo-kio.html>
Mercermachine

The HDB experience, Singlish, etc., is only an entry point into the Singapore experience. It's only a step removed from what any tourist will experience. If you truly want to be part of this nation in a real way, you need to dig deeper.

*** Do Singaporeans Believe In Free Markets (For Lawyers)?
<http://a-singapore-economist.blogspot.com/2006/08/do-singaporeans-believe-in-free.html>
A Singapore Economist

The problem is not poor forecasting skill, it is the interference in the market in the first place.

*** National Day Rally Speech
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/national-day-rally-speech.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Maybe Shell's choice of investment location doesn't have that much to do with the strength or quality of political leadership in the country?

*** Food For Thought...
<http://snowball.multiply.com/journal/item/171>
My Little Shrine...

One way to encourage young adults to venture is to encourage companies to provide opportunities for individuals to take a sabatical.

*** Let's Welcome Foreign Talent, But...
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2006/08/lets-welcome-foreign-talent-but.html>
Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

New PRs and Singaporeans should be actively integrated into Singapore society.

*** National Day Rally 2006
<http://kaikeong.blogspot.com/2006/08/national-day-rally-2006.html>
KK's Thoughts

The path which David Gan took was a risky one.

*** Mr Brown
<http://damz83.blogspot.com/2006/08/mr-brown.html>
Damian Lien, Time & Place

If comic strips in the papers are allowed to make fun of the irony of our bus company announcing increasing profits one week and applying for an increase in bus fares the next, Idon't see why Mr Brown's column was suspended.

*** National Day Rally Speech
<http://i-speak.blogdrive.com/archive/208.html>
Gayle Goh, i-speak

It appears that the PAP is going to take to the internet and appropriate it as a useful tool. Good!

*** National Day Rally 2006
<http://yeuann.blogspot.com/2006/08/national-day-rally-2006.html>
Yeo Yeu Ann, A Heart Called Desire

I support the government's decision to defend itself, but I feel that it's got to be a fair debate.

*** PM Lee Is Cool
<http://www.rambotan.com/?p=166>
Another Amazing Rambo Tan

Once Singaporeans learn to conclude every argument with an acknowledgement that hte government is awesome, as evidenced by its stellar record in 'fixing its opponents', we will be able to get past this whole business of reaching wrong conclusions and be able to really tackle some of the pressing issues facing our society, like how many thousands to give our ministers as year-end bonuses.

*** National Day Rally
<http://tyanfu.blogspot.com/2006/08/national-day-rally.html>
Vincent Tan, Scientist Wannabe

While we're talking about creating an inclusive society for all strata of society, shouldn't we, at the same time, foster an environment that is forgiving and accepting of some of the faults and failures of fellow Singaporeans.

*** Taxi Problem Is Not A Taxi Problem
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-638.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Until we do all these non-taxi things, there will never be a solution to the taxi problem.

*** Regarding PM's National Day Rally Speech
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2006/08/pms_national_da.html>
mr brown

Some people who wrote to Today about the column's suspension received a templated response to write to MICA instead, even though Today were the ones who suspended the column. Strange.

[Entertainment]

*** Lessons Inside The Zoo
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/Features/20060820145321/Article/index_html>
Anita Anandarajah, New Straits Times

Though Singapore Zoo has been at the forefront of education in this region, it is rebranding itself as a learning zoo.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]