[MyAppleMenu] Aug 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 17 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Maintains Massive Lead In Music Player Market
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15580>
Dan Nystedt, Macworld UK

Apple continued to dominate the US digital music player market in the second quarter with a 75.6 per cent marketshare, according to the NPD Group.

*** Jobs' Implication In Apple Options Scandal Still Unclear
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1972>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

While some Wall Street analysts have suggested Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is likely to be cleared of any wrongdoing when it comes to the company's backdated stock option grants, analysts at Merrill Lynch are taking a more cautious approach.

*** Leopard First Looks: 64-Bit Support
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leo64/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Henry Norr, Macworld

Developers of data-intensive apps will appreciate full native 64-bit support.

[Opinion]

*** WWDC Wrap-Up
<http://www.stuffonfire.com/2006/08/11/wwdc-wrap-up/>
Stuffonfire.com

Let's face it, WWDC is expensive and we engineers aren't really used to being treated like cattle. I feel more like a chump for having shelled out $1400 of company money so that I can be bossed around by overweight rent-a-cops.

*** Regarding The Hardware Announcements At WWDC 2006
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/08/hardware_announcements_at_wwdc>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

*** Computers Crash
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/08/16.html#computersCrash>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Put it this way, if you were a pilot, would you fly a plane if the manufacturer said it can't crash?

[Review]

*** Mac Pro Completes Apple's Intel Lineup
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/reviews/macprorev/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Prfoessional Intel-based towers provide great performance -- with the right software.

[Sidetrack]

*** Who Believes Steve Jobs?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Ever since the iPod with video came out, why should I ever believe Steve "we-do-not-do-video-ipods" Jobs anymore?

So, yay, there will be an iPod with Wi-Fi <http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/16/apple-breaks-silence-denies-claims-of-wireless-ipod-kinda/>.

:-)

*** Death To Caps Lock
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71606-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Michael Calore, Wired News

Is it time to permanently retire the Caps Lock key? Pieter Hintjens thinks so.

*** AIDS In Singapore
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/aids-in-singapore.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Today, the Straits Times is once again twisting and tweaking numbers in a story about AIDS.

*** Singapore Turns To Biodiesel To Fight Rising Fuel Costs
<http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyID=2006-08-17T010855Z_01_SIN45655_RTRIDST_0_SCIENCE-ENVIRONMENT-BIODIESEL-SINGAPORE-DC.XML&archived=False>
Jessica Jaganathan, Reuters

*** China Trial Of Hong Kong Journalist Ends
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-08-16-china-journalist_x.htm>
Associated Press

Ching Choeng's trial in the Beijing No. 2 Intermediate Court started and ended Tuesday, said Carole Chow, a spokeswoman for Singapore Press Holdings.

*** Science Haven In Singapore
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/business/worldbusiness/17stem.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Wayne Arnold, New York Times

You can't buy Wrigley's Spearmint gum in Singapore. But human embryonic stem cells? That's a different matter.

*** The Day The Music Died
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/136846.asp>
Zul Othman, Today

Tower Records shuts down in Singapore.

*** Causeway Ban On Heavy Vehicles
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/136862.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

Alternative route on Second Link for the next 15 months due to construction.

*** R18 Rating For Cabarets
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/136855.asp>
Zul Othman, Today

*** Court Case Involving SDP's Chee Soon Juan, Sister Dismissed With Costs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/225212/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Revealed: R18 (Cabaret) Rating
<http://cyclingturtle.blogspot.com/2006/08/revealed-r18-cabaret-rating.html>
Chelonia Munnster

I'm calling their bluff. They are targetting the NS boys.

*** Dr M Should Seek Own Path In Retirement
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/55451>
Anthony Low, Malaysiakini

Maybe the Malaysian government should investigate if Mahathir is linked to the companies involved in the bridge project.

*** Social Welfare
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/08/social-welfare.html>
Singabloodypore

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu