[MyAppleMenu] Aug 16, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 16 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Quietly Updates MBP Logic Boards
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/16/mbp.logic.boards.updated/>
MacNN

*** Apple Files For 'Multi-Pass' Trademark
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/16/multi.pass.trademark/>
MacNN

*** Mail Stamps Stamp Out Apple's Poor Interface Design
<http://www.macuser.com/software/mail_stamps_stamps_out_apples.php>
Dan Moren, MacUser

*** Apple Releases Boot Camp 1.1 Beta
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/15/apple-releases-boot-camp-1-1-beta/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Study: Apple Leads Industry In Customer Satisfaction
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/15/acsi/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Newly published data from the American Customer Satisfaction Index show that Apple leads other personal computer manufacturers, beating out Dell, HP and others.

[Opinion]

*** Time Machine And The Future Of The File System
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/8/15/4995>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

*** Dell's Battery Recall: MacBook Pro Batteries Shipped From The Same Manufacturer?
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060814183025383>
MacFixIt

*** Yes Virginia, Macs Crash Too
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/08/15.html#yesVirginiaMacsCrashToo>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Better to promise to help users when the computer you sold them crashes, than to promise they don't crash.

[Review]

*** Rage Of Magic II
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/reviews/romii/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

A throwback to the coin-op battle games of yore, Rage of Magic II is a retro game of reasonable quality, if you're willing to put up with some limitations and general wonkiness.

[Sidetrack]

*** Ideas Are Free; Visual Basic Is Not
Heng-Cheong Leong

If you are a developer looking for an idea to develop into the next money-making shareware product, look no further than Microsoft: Converting Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Application scripts into AppleScripts and vice versa.

Or you can try your hand in adding support for Visual Basic in OpenOffice.org. :-)

*** Seeing By Sound
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17315&ch=infotech>
Susan Nasr, MIT Technology Review

A new wearable computer can transform cities and buildings into soundscapes, researchers say, helping visually impaired people get around more easily.

*** Ads Coming To Textbooks
<http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2006/08/15/ap/us/d8jh14jg0.txt>
Justin Pope, Associated Press

Textbook prices are soaring into the hundreds of dollars, but in some couses this fall, students won't pay a dime. The catch: Their textbooks will have ads for companies including FedEx Kinko's and Pura Vida coffee.

*** MIT Media Lab Research: Less Media, More Helathcare
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060815-7505.html>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

[Tech & Science]

*** For Now, Pluto Holds Its Place In Solar System
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/16/us/16pluto.html?ex=1313380800&en=9f6789344376a6c9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

Pluto dodged a bullet today.

*** Pluto's New Place In Space Could Be As A 'Pluton'
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081500330.html>
Rob Stein, Washington Post

Hoping to end the agnoizing over whether Pluto is really a planet, an international committee of astronomers has come up with a new definition that would save the tiny body's place in the sun's family.

*** Elusive Proof, Elusive Prover: A New Mathematical Mystery
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/science/15math.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

"It's very unusual in math that somebody announcs a result this big and leaves it hanging."

[Life]

*** Actually, Hell Is Other People
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/08/16/fewer_friends/index_np.html>
Lisa Selin Davis, Salon

A new study says Americans have fewer friends than ever -- but what if we're enjoying more solitude and intimacy?

*** Disappearing Ink
<http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=106>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

The Four Seasons still keeps a stash of menus without prices and still gets plenty of requests for them. Just not as many as in 1977.

[Expressions]

*** The Recidivist
<http://www.absinthe-literary-review.com/poetics/daniel_a.htm>
Alison Daniel, Absinthe Literary Review

*** Montana Without A Map
<http://www.poetserv.org/SRR25/thornbrugh.html>
David Thornbrugh, Salt River Review

*** The Girl Inside The Doll
<http://www.themontserratreview.com/issue-07-03/poem-07.html>
Sharon Doyle, The Montserrat Review

*** The Diocese Of Rain
<http://s_s_bentley.home.comcast.net/fm/pushcart.htm#mueller>
Melinda Mueller, Fine Madness

*** Removed At The Moment Of Perfection
<http://www.slate.com/id/2141994/>
Timothy Liu, Slate

*** Stop Discussing Bridge, Dr M Issues, Najib Says
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=214167&cat=ct>
Bernama

[Opinion]

*** U.S. Could Learn A Thing Or Two From Singapore
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-14-singapore-transportation_x.htm>
Alan M. Webber, USA Today

The only question is whether we'll choose to implement new transportation and energy policies, or whether we'll wait until we're forced to do it.

*** Chiam Replies To Mah's Comment
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:85b6eba22421d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Chiam See Tong, MP for Potong Pasir, Straits Times

I have never changed my position on serving the residents, as Mah claimed.

*** Dangerous Minds
<http://cobaltpaladin.blogspot.com/2006/08/dangerous-minds.html>
A Long And Arduous Road Of An Entrepreneur

Who has the more dangerous minds? The journalists who have the power to reach the mass, the blogers whose entries are only read by niche groups or the people who are naive, ignorant, non-discerning and unable to form critical and independent thinking?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]