[MyAppleMenu] Aug 18, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 18 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Mac Hackers Admit Modification
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15605>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

*** No Jobs Keynote At Apple Expo Paris
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=15590&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Representing the show organisers, Reed Expositions France, Apple Expo Communications contact, Clementine Tisserand, confirmed the lack of keynote to Macworld UK.

*** Marathon Is Back Again For Free
<http://www.macuser.com/games/marathon_is_back_again_for_fre.php>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** Studio Spills Aple's iTunes Movie Store Plans
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1976>
AppleInsider

*** Apple To Meet With Norwegians, Danes, And Swedes Over Alleged Unfairness Of FairPlay
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3515>
David Berlind, ZDNet

*** Report On iPod Manufacturing
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/ipodreport/>
Apple

We found the supplier to be in compliance in the majority of the areas audited. However, we did find violations to our Code of Conduct, as well as other areas for improvement that we are working with the supplier to address. What follows is a summary of what we've learned, what's already being done in response,a nd our commitment to future diligence and action.

*** Leopard First Looks: Core Animation
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leocoreani/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

Low-level animation support should lead to better apps.

*** Leopard First Looks: The Rest
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leowrap/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Additional apps, parental controls, Xcode round out OS X preview.

*** MacBook Wi-Fi Hack Didn't Use Apple Drivers
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/17/wirelesshack/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

"Despite SecureWorks being quoted saying the Mac is threatened by the exploit demonstrated at Black Hat, they have provided no evidence that in fact it is," Apple Director of Mac PR, Lynn Fox, told Macworld. "To the contrary, the SecureWorks demonstration used a third party USB 802.11 device -- not the 8021.11 hardware in the Mac -- a device which uses a different chip and different softare drivers than those on the Mac."

*** MacBook Firmware Update Adjusts Fan Behavior
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/17/macbook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Trapped At The Apple Store
<http://www.blogd.com/archives/001999.html>
The Blog From Another Dimension

One thing Apple knows, it's service.

*** Time Machine - Offsite Solutions
<http://www.nickstarr.com/2006/08/17/time-machine-offsite-solutions/>
Nick Starr

*** Back To The Mac
<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/08/16/Back-to-the-Mac>
Tim Bray, ongoing

On balance, the Mac experience is better. But Ubuntu is not that far behind, and it's catching up.

*** Apple Spaces, Virtual Desktop Usage
<http://showngo.wordpress.com/2006/08/17/apple-spaces-virtual-desktop-usage/>
Showngo's Mind

*** Apple Keeps Twisting My Melon, Man
<http://cogdogblog.com/2006/08/17/apple-keeps-twisting-my-melon-man/>
CogDogBlog

The sad, tired tale of my lemon-scented MacBook Pro continues.

*** .Mac Needs To Be Radically Retooled
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/mac-needs-to-be-radically-retooled/>
Hadley Stern, Apple Matters

Be bold with .Mac Apple. Stop thinking about how to milk users for every $99. .Mac membership when customers buy a Mac and yes, think different.

*** The Skinny On Desktop Linux Pros, Cons And Adoption
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3513>
David Berlind, ZDNet

Every day, as consumers purchase more and more of that DRM-saddled content, the less and less viable desktop Linux becomes since it's fundamentally incompatible with that growing "installed-base" of content.

*** Flying The Silent Skies
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/08/silentskies/index.php?lsrc=todayatpl>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

[World]

*** What If 9/11 Never Happened?
<http://newyorkmetro.com/news/features/19147/>
John Heilemann, New York

Without 9/11, would the London plot have been foiled? Without 9/11, would there have been an Iraq war? Without the Iraq war, ould there have been a London plot?

*** Japan's History Problem
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/16/AR2006081601427.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
G. John Ikenberry, Washington Post

Japan has a serious geopolitical problem -- and increasingly it is an American problem as well.

[Life]

*** Grasping The Reins Of Reality
<http://insidehighered.com/views/2006/08/16/fryshman>
Bernard Fryshman, Inside Higher Ed

Look around you. Virtually everyone in the room is engaged in a job different from the one they prepared for in college.

*** Singapore To Allow Local Firms To Hire Foreign Lawyers
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=214480>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

Singapore has agreed in principle to allow local law firms, especially those doing regional work involving foreign law and cross border transactions, to hire foreign lawyers.

*** Take It Up In Parliament, Chiam Told
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/137114.asp>
Today

"I think he got his facts wrong, but I don't intend to debate him through the media on this issue. So, I hope he raises this issue in Parliament, so that I can give him a proper response."

*** Case Closed, Falungong Member To Be Deported
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/137096.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

[Opinion]

*** Retreat From Power: Why Should Singapore's PAP Oblige?
<http://www.opinionasia.org/RetreatfromPower>
Russell Heng Hiang Khng, OpinionAsia

So long as the PAP deploys its immense power to maintain the status quo, it will never know how much of that precious X-factor its recruits really have.

*** Who Will Rid Me Of This Troublesome Priest?
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/08/who-will-rid-me-of-this-troublesome.html>
Singabloodypore

Dissent is finally becoming public, although slowly, in the courts and the government. These institutions are gradually asserting their neutrality in the PAP vs opposition saga.

*** Govt Gives More Help To Low Income Families!!!
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2006/08/govt-gives-more-help-to-low-income.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The message to Singapoeans is simple -- if you need help, go to the bankis. They are very nice to you. There is little need for the PAP govt to have something as comprehensive as what the Hong Kong govt provide for its people.

*** An Insider's View Of The Legal Profession In Singapore
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/insiders-view-of-legal-profession-in.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

The Singapore government does screw up big-time in its micro-management readings of the needs of the economy. If you are making your next career move based on the government's prediction of the next "hot" area or the next "dead" area, just be aware that the government has a record of getting things wrong.

*** Now We Can Practise Law. But Will We?
<http://vantan.org/archives/2006/08/now_we_can_prac.php>
vantan.org

With the new policies, the net will be cast wider. But ultimately if the workplace environment for lawyers remains highly stressful, there will still be high dropout rates.

*** PAP v2.0 Special Edition
<http://twostepsfromtwilight.wordpress.com/2006/08/17/pap-v20-special-edition/>
Two Steps Frm Twilight

Singaporeans aren't so bleeding stupid -- of all the things the PAP can do to improve its position, tacit acknowledgement of that bare fact by toning down will earn it much goodwill. They will do well to focus on a few wars and forget the rest.

*** Shocking Arguments Made By The Lees
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/08/shocking-arguments-made-by-lees.html>
Singapore Democrats, Singapore Election Watch

It has taken years for the judiciary to develop a legal system that is in sync with the rest of the world. To now negate everything by decreeing that "This is Singapore" is to turn back the clock and destroy the last vestiges of human decency in this country.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]