[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 21 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Mac Sales Exceeding Forecasts
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12691&Page=1&pagePos=2>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple is seeing stronger-than-expected Mac hardware sales, an analyst said last night.

*** Invasion Of The Pod People
<http://www2.dailynews.com/music/ci_3046440>
sandra Barrera, LA Daily News

New technology gives anyone a public voice -- and mainstream media is scrambling to catch up.

*** Apple Servers Drive New EU Supercomputer
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1861506,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000611>
Mark Hachman, eWeek

A startup on tuesday unveiled plans at the Apple Expo here at Paris to build a distributed supercomputer cluster that could use some thousands of Apple's Xserve servers.

*** BBC TV Watchdog Reveals iPod's Achilles' Heel
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12684>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple's decision to announce the UK price of its iPod Battery Replacement scheme following two months of obfustication became clear last night when battery problems in its iPod music players became the focus of a BBC TV investigation.

*** Analyst: iPod Nano Sales Skewed Towards 4GB Black Model
<http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/analyst-ipod-nano-sales-skewed-towards-4gb-black-model/>
Larry Angell, iLounge

*** Vendors: iPod Nano Accessories Coming Soon
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/09/20/nanocoming/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

The most notable change, as far as developers are concerned, is the lack of a remote control port. Currently, it's the main impediment preventing developers from flodding the market with new nano nicknacks.

*** Apple Releases iTunes 5.0.1
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/20/itunes/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple describes iTunes 5.0.1 as having "several stability improvements" over the previous 5.0 release.

*** Mac Office SP2 Boosts Mac OS X Integration With Exchange Server
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1861008,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John Rizzo, eWeek

Microsoft has released Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 2, a free update that focuses on improving Entourage as a collaboration client for Exchange Server 2000 and later.

*** iPod Accessories Are The Rage At Apple Expo
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1861137,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Jim Louderback, eWeek

*** Three Apple Stores To Open This Weekend
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/09/20/three-apple-stores-to-open-this-weekend/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** It's A Nice Day For An iPod Wedding
<http://news.com.com/Its+a+nice+day+for+an+iPod+wedding/2100-1041_3-5874790.html?part=rss&tag=5874790&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Keeping wedding budgets in check is one reason couples are going the digital-DJ route.

[Opinion]

*** Ponzi's Technology Blues...
<http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20050920_ponzis_technology_blues.phtml>
GnomeREPORT

Think about my poor Mom, how would she deal with all this tech drama. I'll tell you how, she wouldn't "fool around with it" until it was one button sync and pay, a better alternative than whatever she uses now for music and more reliable with more features.

*** Taking/Losing Control Of .Mac
<http://alt.cc/jk/49>
Joe Kissell

Apple have actually made Backup a useful backup application.

[Review]

*** Web Apps With Tiger: MediaWiki
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/09/20/apache.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Kevin Hemenway, O'Reilly Network

*** Backup 3 QuickStart Guide
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7865?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft To Reorg: Allchin To Retire
<http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-5874926.html>
Mike Ricciuti and Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com

*** Long Life Mobile Battery 'Vital'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4265220.stm>
BBC News

Top of the list for the most desirable feature of a next generation mobile device is not some fancy new function, but a battery that lasts much longer.

*** Fraud Sinks Subway's Sub Club
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,68909,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Jacob Ogles, Wired News

*** Telling You What You Like
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-preference20sep20,1,7134417.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Alex Pham and Jon Healey, Los Angeles Times

Preference engines track consumers' choices online and suggest other things to try. But do they broaden tastes or narrow them?

*** Demo Show Unveils $800 ThinkPad
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/20/HNdemotues_1.html>
Ephraim Schwartz, IDG News Service

The two most outstanding features of the ThinkPad Z-60 models unveiled were the price and a first-of-a-kind broadband wireless capability.

*** Why Software Sucks (And What To Do About It)
<http://www.scottberkun.com/essays/essay46.htm>
Scott Berkun

No one makes bad software on purpose. Bad software, or bad anything, happens because making things is hard, making good things doubly so.

*** DEMOfall Gets In On The Photo Loop
<http://news.com.com/2061-10802_3-5874978.html?part=rss&tag=5874978&subj=news>
Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com

With the success of photo sharing services like Flickr on everyone's minds these days, the space is hot -- and getting hotter.

*** Firefox Faces Challenges As It Matures
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/20/HNfirefoxmatures_1.html>
Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service

The browser's obstacles include: security issues, attracting new, non-technical users and, of course,t he forthcoming IE 7.

[Linux]

*** Linux Standard Effort Edges Ahead
<http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5874887.html?part=rss&tag=5874887&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

[World]

*** Incompetence, Not Racism
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/19/AR2005091901298.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
Richard Cohen, Washington Post

If you told me that George W. Bush is a dummy, I would argue with you but understand why you thought so: all those idiotic statements. But if you told me, as shome have been implying, that Bush is a racist or that he doesn't care about black people, I would not only say that you're wrong but add, "Not the George Bush I know."

*** Bush's Hard Fall
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2005/09/21/keillor_bush/index.html>
Garrison Keillor, Salon

His career was based on creating low expectations and then meeting them, but Katrina brought a cold blast of reality.

*** Deep Flaws, And Little Justice, In China's Court System
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/international/asia/21confess.html>
Joseph Kahn, New York Times

Miscarriages of justice that have come to light this year suggest that China is struggling with a fundamental question of jurisprudence. Do officials serve the law, or do laws serve the officials?

[Life]

*** Where Did Our Waists Go?
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,11812,1574728,00.html>
Mimi Spencer, The Guardian

The catwalks are suddenly full of 'traditional' womanly shapes, complete with nipped-in waists. In real world, women are losing their curves and looking more like men. What's gong on?

[Expressions]

*** Bus Stop
<http://www.pifmagazine.com/SID/793/>
Thea Atkinson, PIF

Watching a homeless woman struggle onto the bus, her hair arranged into grimy tufts of cotton. Watching you sitting there showing your momentary sickness at her cracked and yellow fingers that grab the steel bar as she tries to hoist her worn out frame; up one step at a time.

*** These Beautiful Territories
<http://www.longshot.org/ls25/Eliot_Katz.htm>
Eliot Katz, Long Shot

*** Doing What I Can For The Minotaur Mind
<http://www.3ammagazine.com/fiction/2005/jun/minotaur_mind.html>
Timber Masterson, 3AM

*** Boyfriend Blues At 55
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120089/>
Sharon Olds, Slate

*** The Kidney-Shaped Stone That Moves Every Day
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/050926fi_fiction>
Haruki Murakami, New Yorker

*** Singapore Mosques To Teach Sexuality To Teenagers
<http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=World_News&subsection=Rest+of+the+World&month=September2005&file=World_News200509213142.xml>
Reuters

Singapore mosques will teach sexuality to Muslim teenagers from December in a bid to revamp religious education for youths, the city-state's Islamic religious council said yesterday.

*** Singapore Haven For Pedestrians
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailcity.asp?fileid=20050921.G02&irec=1>
Damar Harsanto, Jarkarta Post

Spacious sidewalks, lush city parks, clean and free public toilets, air-conditioned underpasses equipped with elevators are all provided for pedestrians in Singapore.

*** Singapore PM Meets Chinese Vice Premier
<http://english.people.com.cn/200509/21/eng20050921_209791.html>
Xinhua

*** No Rest For Singaporeans
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/73626.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

Singapore is "not a good place to retire in."

[Opinion]

*** School Rankings
<http://coupdegras.zenguerrilla.org/?p=38>
Coup De Grace

*** Bus Fares On Distance Covered
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/73664.asp>
John Bay, Today

Revise the bus-fare structure to one based on the total distance travelled -- irrespective of the number of transfers.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]