[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 22 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Apple Computer Could Sell 43 Million iPods In 2006
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/09/21/apple-computer-ipod-0921markets01.html?partner=yahootix>
Maya Roney, Forbes

Deutsche Bank expects Apple to drive strong earnings and cash-flow growth as it capitalizes on the growth of the MP3 market over the next three to five years.

*** Unpeeling Apple's Nano
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2005/tc20050921_4557.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Researcher iSupply took a look inside the latest iPod to find out how much Apple is making off it and who supplies its parts.

*** iPod Users Breaking Piracy Laws
<http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16678650%255E2902,00.html>
Liam Houlihan, Herald Sun

A Herald Sun investigation has found -- despite the popularity of the pastime -- no legal method exists for Australian iPod owners to fill their player with music.

*** The Coolest Player In Town
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1575194,00.html>
Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

In a parallel world, Steve Jobs could have been a poker player with a reputation as a cool hand. After three decades at the top table of technology, all the required skills are there: patience, self-belief, bravado -- and, most importantly, the ability to ride a streak of luck.

*** Ambrosia Releases El Ballo
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=12068>
Blake Buck, Inside Mac Games

*** Apple Head Calls Labels 'Greedy' For Suggesting iTunes Price Hike
<http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1510065/20050921/index.jhtml>
MTV

Labels accuse CEO of a double standard.

*** Students Jam On iPods, With Music Department
<http://www.thetartan.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/09/21/4331eb1dc3cf5>
Catherine Maurakis, The Tartan

Professor David Zuschin has been using the iPod in his classroom since it first came out in 2002 to demonstrate and play music. Now, the Department of Music is investigating the possibility of making the iPod a tool used by all music majors.

*** Tech Note 31 Offline; No Moof Is Good Moof?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/09/21/tech-note-31-offline-no-moof-is-good-moof/>
Jay Savage, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Tn31, where we were first introduced to dogcow habits and habitats, first learned Clarus' name, and first heard the 'Moof' of a real, live dogcow seems to be gone forever.

[Opinion]

*** More Stores! Should We Worry?
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/justathought/2005/20050921.shtml>
Vern Seward, Mac Observer

*** Can Nothing Halt The March Of The iPod?
<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article314122.ece>
Charles Arthur, Independent

The question is whether rivals will realize that the best way to win a game is to start a new one.

*** Towards A Better Dongle
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7879?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Jobs promised new technology on Intel Macs that will prevent the installation of OS X on non-Apple hardware.

*** Good Night, Beantown
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/09/expomemories/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Scholle Sawyer McFarland, Macworld

The end of the East Coast expos marks the end of an era.

[Review]

*** Tiger? Where Did You Go?
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/547/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

Like everybody, I dived in to using all Tiger's new features as much as possible -- or trying to. But this article was inspired when I reached for my desk calculator rather than Dashboard's. I realised I wasn't using some of Steve's babies anymore.

*** Backup 3.0: Review, Troubleshooting Issues
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050921062849639>
MacFixIt

Backup has matured as a strategic tool but remains lacking in some areas.

*** Email Client Spleen Venting
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7878?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

This week, I have been mostly getting annoyed by email software.

*** A Neat Way To Search Lyrics
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/technology/poguesposts/21pogues-posts.html?ex=1284955200&en=9f310180df326696&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Which Mac Is Right For You?
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/09/features/whichmac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Adam C. Engst, Macworld

Desktop or laptop? Professional or consumer? Here's how to decide.

*** Can Bloggers Strike It Rich?
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68934,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Adam L. Peneberg, Wired News

Blog network pioneers keep their finances close to the chest, but salary information for scribes behind hit sites like Gizmodo, Fleshbot and Gawker is starting to trickle out. Time to quit your day job and blog for a living?

*** Aha! Video Straight To A Computer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/technology/circuits/22pogue.html?ex=1285041600&en=97de9213ba90747e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Startup Spirit thrives Again At Demo
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1861797,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Ryan Naraine, eWeek

It's starting to feel a lot like the rah-rah dot-com days, as emerging tech startups battle for venture capital attention at Demo.

*** Google Builds An Empire To Rival Microsoft
<http://news.com.com/Googles+grand+ambition/2100-1032_3-5875433.html?part=rss&tag=5875433&subj=news>
Elinor Millls, CNET News.com

[Tech & Science]

*** One Find, Two Astronomers: An Ethical Brawl
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/science/space/13plan.html?ex=1284264000&en=7f5f96302a67ae30&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

A little clicking can bring you a shocking amount of information about what your colleagues and rivals are up to.

[Life]

*** Craving Hyphenated Chinese
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/dining/21chin.html>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

Over the past decade, as large communities of people from India, Peru, Korea, Trinidad and Guyana have formed here, New York ahs had to expand its ideas about what Chinese food can be.

*** Egg Drop Soup Is Comfort In A Pot
<http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2005/09/21/egg_drop_soup_is_comfort_in_a_pot/>
Emily Schwab, Boston Globe

"My mom always does it the traditional way. I always do it the easy way." And so begins a cooking lesson in my kitchen for egg drop soup, given by my visiting mother-in-law.

*** Salad, Compose Thyself
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-salads21sep21,1,3146993.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
Leslie Brenner, Los Angeles Times

Could it be a conspiracy? Who (or what) is preventing Angelenos from being allowed to enjoy the lunch that better suits us than anything in the world? That lunch would be a salade composee.

*** It's Dark, It's Autumn -- Let's Eat!
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002508764_platkin21.html>
Charles Stuart Platkin, Seattle Times

How do the times of day, month or year affect eating? Actually, more than you might think.

*** The Case Of The Servant With The Fur Collar
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/arts/design/22remb.html?8hpib>
Carol Vogel, New York Times

Why was she wearing fur? That was one of the first questions experts asked when they began studying a 17th-century portrait of a woman who had the unmistakably stolid face of a servant but was decked out in a sumptuous fur collar.

*** What Is Old Age For?
<http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?id=1273>
William Thomas, Yes!

Old age is humanity's greatest invention, and on an even deeper level, it invented us.

*** This Doll Has An Accessory Barbie Lacks: A Prayer Mat
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/international/middleeast/22doll.html>
Katherine Zoepf, New York Times

In the last year or so, Barbie dolls have all but disappeared fromt he shelves of many toy stores in the Middle East. In their place, there is Fulla, a dark-eyed doll with, as her creator puts it, "Muslim values."

[EOF]

*** For The Busy Faithful, The Greatest Story Ever Told -- In 100 Minutes
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1575313,00.html>
Ed Vulliamy, The Guardian

They may be the words of the Lord. But there are simply too many of them for the modern attention span. That, at least, was the reasoning behind the launch yesterday of a more "user-friendly" edition of the great work.

*** Secondary School Students May Be Allowed To Enter Polytechnics Without 'O' Levels
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/169621/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Begins Trial To Transport Chilled Meat Under New National Standard
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/169456/1/.html>
Chua Chin Chye, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** How Do Bus Companies Know They Lost $9 Million To Fare Cheats?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,342155,00.html?>
Lai Ming Shan, Straits Times

I am curious to know how bus companies estimate the loss of $9 million a year to fare cheats.

*** Punish Bus Operators Who Overcharge Too
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,342334,00.html?>
Lim Soo Heng, Straits Times

Bus operators should not get away scot-free when they overcharge honest fare-paying commuters.

*** What About Cabbies Who Cheat Commuters?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,342289,00.html?>
Audrey Verma, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Save New Orleans
<http://www.songs.myvirtualband.com/index.php/archives/2005/09/17/save-new-orleans/>
Ronnie Marler, Marty Keil, Robert Pursley
<http://www.files.myvirtualband.com/neworleans/saveneworleans.mp3>