[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 20 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Apple Expo: Steve Jobs Talks Macintosh
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=12672>
Jonny Evans and Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

*** Apple CEO Nixes iTunes Price Hike
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050920/ap_on_hi_te/apple_itunes%3b_ylt=A9FJqZ5p.S9DRRMB5QWs0NUE%3b_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg->
Associated Press

Steve Jobs vowed to resist music companies "greedy" demands for price increases on the iTunes music download site and warned that such a move would encourage piracy.

*** Apple Expo: Apple CEO Steve Jobs slams "Greedy" Labels
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12673>
Jonny Evans and Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

*** Apple Expo: Jobs On Mobile Music And Living Room PCs
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12675>
Jonny Evans and Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

"We wrote the iTunes software for that phone. We see it as something we can learn from. It was a way to put our toe in the water, and learn something."

*** Apple Expo: Steve Jobs, 'Excellence' Is Apple's 'Secret Sauce'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12674>
Jonny Evans and Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

Apple's competitors need to overcome a foe that boasts: "World class hardware, applications and services."

*** Apple Expo: Jobs On iPods And Apple Secrecy
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12676>
Jonny Evans and Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

"We launched the iPod nano two weeks ago rather than at the Apple Expo because in the run-up to Christmas every week counts."

*** Apple Releases Backup 3.0
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/20/backup/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Apple Increases .Mac Storage To 1GB, Adds Groups
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/20/mac/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple on Tuesday made several changes to its .Mac service, providing members with increased storage and adding a new feature called Groups.

*** Firefox And Mac Security Sanctuaries 'Under Attack'
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/19/symantec_threat_report/>
John Leyden, The Register

Symantec attacks sacred cows.

*** Apple Rethinking Mini Retail Store Strategy
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1276>
Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Apple is said to be experiencing difficulties with its initial batch of mini retail stores and may be forced to rearrange or put on hold future plans for the scaled-down retail format.

[Opinion]

*** .Mac Is Back, Bigger, Brighter, Bluer
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7854?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

Once again, Apple has become adventurous with web development.

*** The iWork Programming Guide Document Now Live And Posted...
<http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/keynote-tools/2005-September/000213.html>
Ernie Prabhakar

We've made the conscious decision to focus on ease-of-use and ease-of-development, even if that has the unfortunate side-effect of fragile document formats.

*** Apple File Formats
<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/09/18/Apple-XML>
Tim Bray

The whole world has been giving Microsoft's a hard time over their Office XML file formats; it turns out that there are far worse sinners. Apple, for one.

*** Real World Nano Battery Life
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7841?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

*** Good Service Is Hard To Find These Days
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7842?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

I'm constantly telling myself that I need to start taking advantage of the Services menu -- but I never do because there's something that I just don't like about it being up in the corner of the screen.

*** Rokr: What Might Have Been
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/09/rokrmight/index.php?lsrc=plrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

The Rokr doesn't meet the Steve Standard and in its current incarnation, it would be just another stillborn device in Apple's R&D labs.

*** Video Store? Sure, Right After Ogg Vorbis...
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/09/19/video-store-sure-right-after-ogg-vorbis/>
C.K. Sample, III, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** News Flash
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/09/flashstorage/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Miller, Macworld

Flash prices  will likely fall quickly over the next couple of years. And as they do, Apple's going to have ample opportunity to do what it does best: out-innovate the rest of the computer industry.

[Review]

*** A Camino User Gets Unreasonably Excited
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7839?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

This wonderful little Cocoa browser has performed like a good app should.

*** iPod Switcher Issues
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/09/ipodswitch/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>

*** Rumor Today: New Laptops Coming In Paris
Heng-Cheong Leong

Your Mac Life <http://www.yourmaclife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=932#932>: Apple's booth looks the same as it always does... except for the black cloth draping one section of the booth and the absence of Powerbooks and iBooks in the booth. Obviously, Apple is going to announce upgrades to the laptop line.

[Wintel]

*** Office 12 Makeover Takes On 'Feature Creep'
<http://news.com.com/Office+12+makeover+takes+on+feature+creep/2100-1012_3-5873597.html?part=rss&tag=5873597&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Having sensed that the software has reached the limits of functionality, Microsoft has been preparing its most radical overhaul ever for Word, Excel and friends.

*** Google Plans Own WiFi Service: Web Site
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092000348.html?nav=rss_technology>
Adam Pasick, Reuters

Google is preparing to launch its own wireless internet service, Google WiFi, according to several pages found on the company's web site on Tuesday.

*** Fighting To Get In On The Next Little Thing
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/business/businessspecial/20rivlin.html?ex=1284868800&en=7099c125db0bd0c8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Gary Rivlin, New York Times

After several years of caution and hesitation, if not outright fear, the venture capitalists are again opening their wallets to the start-ups.

*** Magazines Further Experiment With Print's Digital Format
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112717467236945593-BAsEP4KDsIFJAY49N_e3GAeTna8_20060920,00.html?mod=rss_free>
Brian Steinberg, Wall Street Journal

An increasing number of magazine publishers are testing "digital editions" -- electronic versions of their publications that replicate every page of the print edition down to the table of contents and the ads.

*** Making Their Own Breaks
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9378645/site/newsweek/>
Tara Pepper, Newsweek

Technology is helping aspiring writers, musicians, artists and filmmakers go from amateur to pro. Who needs an agent when you've got the net?

*** The Next 50 Years Of Computer Security: An Interview With Alan Cox
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/09/12/alan-cox.html>
Edd Dumbill, O'Reilly Network

[Tech & Science]

*** Challenged By Creationists, Museums Answer Back
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/science/20doce.html?8hpib>
Cornelia Dean, New York Times

Efforts are under way or planned around the country as science museums and other institutions struggle to contend with challenges to the theory of evolution that they say are growing common and sometimes aggressive.

*** Almost Before We Spoke, We Swore
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/science/20curs.html?ei=5088&en=aa9497f028be8281&ex=1284868800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1127189667-ezdpGbC3TC0h0mM0ck9ZaA>
Natalie Angier, New York Times

Could cursing, a universal form of expression, be a peephole into the architecture of the brain?

[Life]

*** For Sale: Roadside Fixture With Wary But Loyal Patrons
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/international/europe/20chef.html?8hpib>
Sarah Lyall, New York Times

Say what you like about the Little Chef roadside restaurants -- their haphazard service, their eggs swimming in grease, the ceaseless sizzling of their kitchens' grills. For the British motorist, Little Chef holds a unique appeal.

*** AP Reporter Included In Dengue Fever Cases
<http://www.newsday.com/news/health/wire/sns-ap-down-with-dengue,0,7000139.story?coll=sns-ap-health-headlines>
Christopher Torchia, Associated Press

After escaping serious illness or injury in less developed countries, it was hard to imagine that I would succumb in clean, orderly Singapore.

*** LTA Needs A Few Months For Buangkok Review
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,341783,00.html?>
Ken Kwek, Straits Times

The LTA can complete its feasibility review only 'in a few months time', Transport Minister Yeo Choew Tong said yesterday.

*** Bus, Taxi Fare Cheats Could End Up In Jail
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,341763,00.html?>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Computers who cheat on bus and taxi fares could end up behind bars under proposed legislation to stamp out a problem that has dogged Singaporean transport operators for years.

*** Dengue: HDB 'Water Traps' To Go
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/73422.asp>
Tan Hui Leng, Today

As part of the battle against dengue, the government will look into making long-term structural changes of infrastructure to avoid having areas that would trap stagnant water.

*** Singapore, Malaysia Warn Bloggers
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2005/09/19/2003272361>
Associated Press

Some defend jail terms for internet users who post racist commentary, but others say the punishments are simply an extension of state controls over expression.

[Opinion]

*** Bus Driver Left 12-Year-Old girl Stranded Because She Didn't Have Enough Fare
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,341739,00.html?>
M. Sainava Buang, Straits Times

My husband and I are appalled that the bus driver had dropped my daughter far from home just for 30 cents without any regard for her safety.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]