[MyAppleMenu] Oct 30, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 30 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Bustling Singapore Bazaar Provides Last Hurrah For Ramadhan Shoppers
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20051030.H02&irec=14>
Nauval Yazid, Jarkarta Post

When the sun has set and the breaking of the fast has been observed, the only destination worth visiting in Singapore during Ramadhan -- if you wish to spend an entire evening indulging in shopping while basking under bright street lights -- is none other than the legendary bazaar at Geylang Serai.

*** Steve Jobs: The Guru Behind Apple
<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article323133.ece>
Charles Arthur, Independent

He's chief executive of two of the most powerful technology brands in the world: Apple and Pixar. But what motivates Steve Jobs? And how does he choose a new washing machine?

*** From Your Living Room To The World, Via Podcast
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/business/yourmoney/30podcast.html?ex=1288324800&en=267a6b8923322264&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Anne Eisenberg, New York Times

Entry into this form of broadcasting is open to anyone who owns a computer. The cost can be as little as $10 for a microphone, or as much as $30,000 for a well-equipped recording studio.

[Opinion]

*** The Perpendicular Pronoun (I) Gets Cut Down To S(i)ze
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3424608>
William Safire, New York Times

When was the lowercase i before an uppercase anything born, and what did it stand for?

*** Our 'Can't We All Just Get Along?' Awards
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9863954/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

Take my word for it, Steve -- when people pay for music, they want it to be playable on any device they choose.

*** New Mac
<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/10/29/New-Mac>
Tim Bray, ongoing

Two years, one month, and twenty-three days ago I got a new PowerBook. Yesterday afternoon I got another.

*** The Incredible Shrinking Movies
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113045505033481891-FIECLnwTJnIaICA7_m36icU4m6I_20061028.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

Video iPods pose a threat to the filmgoing experience -- but they also offer an opportunity.

[Sidetrack]

*** Long Tail
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dave Winer <http://archive.scripting.com/2005/10/29#When:4:18:22PM>: The "Long Tail" makes me want to barf. I'm not in anyone's tail. I'm a head, a heart, if I must choose an organ, kidneys or lungs. Anyone who calls bloggers a tail of anything has his head up his ass.

*** A Virtual Holiday In The Virtual Sun
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/28/travel/escapes/28virtual.html>
Mark Wallace, New York Times

More than 10 million people around the world travel to imaginary destinations regularly.

*** Open Source 2.0: New Kids On The Block
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/28/HNopensource2_1.html>
China Martens, IDG News Service

With the boom in the number of open source startups some are predicting fallout.

[World]

*** In Blame Game, Take A Number
<http://www.calendarlive.com/columnists/rutten/cl-et-rutten29oct29,0,2195146.column?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Tim Rutten, Los Angeles Times

The New York Times clearly wasn't the only journalistic institution that failed, and the duty to set the public record straight about how this mistake was made is a shared one.

[Tech & Science]

*** Dreams Are Made Of This
<http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5080881>
The Economist

Studies are shedding light on the mystery of sleep.

[Life]

*** Breaking The Chain
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501371.html>
Lonnae O'Neal Parker, Washington Post

An African American women reclaims thesexuality that history tried to steal from her.

*** The Same-Name Game
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/10/30/the_same_name_game/>
Alison Lobron, Boston Globe

Not that she needed it, but one woman gets a little more incentive to keep her name just as it is.

*** The Industry: Gastronomics
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/magazine/30food.html>
Matt Lee and Ted Lee, New York Times

Why high prices at the pump aren't touching your plate -- yet.

*** The End Of Pensions
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/magazine/30pensions.html>
Roger Lowenstein, New York Times

Corporations were happy to offer rich retirement plans to their workers as long as accounting tricks and federal insurance made it easy to delay the day of reckoning. But now the game is up.

*** Why Series Games Won't See Light Of Day
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/28/sports/baseball/28sandomir.html?ex=1288152000&en=a5fe76fb0661221c&ei=5090>
Richard Sandomir, New York Times

The World Series is over, but certain fan questions are eternal: Why can't games start earlier? Why can't there be day games? Why can't Major League Baseball take less money to put one or two games on in the daylight?

*** At The Holidays, Few Gifts For Travelers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/travel/30holiday.html?ex=1288324800&en=5529b11ce7c85872&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Amy Gunderson, New York Times

Renee Coon, a travel agent in Erie, Pa., has some advice for her clients who want to take a trip the week between Christmas and New Year's Day: Don't go.

*** Qantas Gives Up Singapore Dream
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/qantas-gives-up-singapore-dream/2005/10/30/1130607149287.html>
Scott Rochfort, Sydney Morning Herald

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has closed the door on the possibility of merging the national airline with Singapore Airlines to form an Asia-Pacific mega carrier.

*** Politicians Support Nguyen
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17085959%255E1702,00.html>
The Australian

*** Breaking The Fast In Singapore
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20051030.H01&irec=13>
Nauval Yazid, Jarkarta Post

Whereas most Indonesians favor being at home with their families for buka puasa (the breaking of the fast) Singaporeans prefer to gather at mosques with fellow Muslims to quench their thirst and enjoy a light meal.

*** Too Close For Comfort?
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/10/30/lifefocus/12368860&sec=lifefocus>
Daphne Lee, The Star

It's been 40 years since Singapore and Malaysia went their separate ways. Taking a cue from a recent play and a just published book that bring hte break-up into fresh focus, we look at what attracts and repels the citizens of both countries.

*** Amicable Parting, Friendly Rivalry
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/10/30/lifefocus/12438761&sec=lifefocus>
Daphne Lee, The Star

*** Choosing His Country
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/10/30/lifefocus/12369391&sec=lifefocus>
Daphne Lee, The Star

Rowland Gomez was 22 years old when Malaysia and Singapore went their separate ways. Forty years on, he takes stock of one of the msot important decisions he ever made.

*** His Real Ministry
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/Showtime/20051029143622/Article/indexb_html>
Lam Lin Shi, New Straits Times

Homosexuality and the gay community aren't topics that many are comfortable with, but not Edmund Smith.

*** Amnesty's Death Row Campaign Draws Record Response
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200510/s1493804.htm>
ABC

*** Mother Begs Queen To Help Save Her Son
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mother-begs-queen-to-help-save-her-son/2005/10/29/1130400402035.html>
Mark Russell, The Age

The mother of condemned Melbourne man Nguyen Tuong Van has written a letter to the Queen in a desperate last-ditch bid to save her son from being executed in Singapore.

*** Last Plea To Singapore For Nguyen's Life
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Last-plea-to-Singapore-for-Nguyens-life/2005/10/29/1130400392929.html>
AAP

The lawyer for a Melbourne drug courier on death row in Changi Prison will meet the Singapore High Commissioner next week to make a final plea for his client's life.

*** Singapore Urges Citizens To Shower Faster To Save Water
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=58561>
DPA

Singaporeans were urged on Saturday to shower a minute less as part of a national water conservation effort in the hot and humid city-state.