[MyAppleMenu] Oct 29, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 29 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Your College Education Via iTunes
<http://www.siliconbeat.com/entries/2005/10/27/your_college_education_via_itunes.html>
Michael Bazeley, SiliconBeat

Stanford has announced an agreement with Apple to produce free podcasts of lectures, student music, play-by-play of its football games and more.

*** Henrico Restarts Laptop Bidding
<http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767802048&path=%21news%21localnews&s=1031784331421>
Olympia Meola, Richmond Times-Dispatch

Middle school contract for student computers could wait till January.

*** iPod Goes Trick-Or-Treating
<http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-5919830-1.html?part=rss&tag=5919830&subj=news>
CNET News.com

Still trying to come up with a Halloween costume idea? Here's some inspiration from enthusiasts who have dressed as their favorite music player with varying degrees of artistic and technical prowess.

[Opinion]

*** Buying An iPod Through iTunes
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/28/draft-buying-an-ipod-through-itunes/>
Jan Kabili, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Why not make it easier for iTunes users to get to the iPod store?

[Review]

*** Apple's Brilliant, Deceptively Simple Front Row Software Has A Bright Future And Raises Questions
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apples_brilliant_deceptively_simple_front_row_software_has_a_bright_future/>
Steve Jack, MacDailyNews

*** Video iPod In The Wild
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2005/10/videoipodtrip/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

I can say that the screen size mattered much less than I thought it would.

*** 30GB And 60GB iPods With Video: Think You Can't Enjoy Movies On An iPod? Think Again
<http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/10/30gbipod/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** Oracle To Offer Free Database
<http://news.com.com/Oracle+to+offer+free+database/2100-1012_3-5920796.html?part=rss&tag=5920796&subj=news>
Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com

Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source databases.

*** Raising Retirement Age May Backfire
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/81124.asp>
Today

While it is pushing for people to work as long as they can, the labor movement does not endorse raising the official retirement age as it may backfire and create other problems, said National Trade Union Congress' deputy secretary-general Lim Swee Say.

[Opinion]

*** What Really Is The Problem Here?
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Letters/20051028124944/Article/indexb_html>
B.B., New Straits Times

*** TransitLink's Numbers On Fare Cheats Don't Tally
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,349513,00.html?>
Gangasudhan Bala Supramaniam, Straits Times

*** Shouldn't We Be Boycotting Singapore?
<http://blogs.smh.com.au/thecontrarian/archives/2005/10/shouldnt_we_be.html>
Andrew West, Sydney Morning Herald

Some correspondents have responded to Mark baker's call for a boycott -- both as a travel destination and of its companies, such as Singapore Airlines and Optus -- by asking why single out Singapore. I tell you why. Because it is a petty dictatorship that pretends to be so much more.

*** Mei Ling Street
<http://tankokseng.blogspot.com/2005/10/mei-ling-street.html>
Tan Kok Seng, Son Of Singapore

*** Take A Hard Look At Bad Press On Freedom
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=32411>
Chua Mui Hoong, Straits Times

Singapore must acknowledge international political criticism in order to develop its own style of democracy.