[MyAppleMenu] Oct 28, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 28 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** The iTunes Music Store In New Zealand (Unofficially)
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/27/the-itunes-music-store-in-new-zealand-unofficially/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

New Zealanders, you too can purchase music from the iTunes music store.

*** The iPod Industry: Firms Launch A New Raft Of Gadget Accessories
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113037481758580768-undntAqtielmIPrjJbXOdM3JSv0_20061027.html?mod=rss_free>
Donna Fuscaldo, Dow Jones Newswires

The iPod craze has spawned a mini-industry for the device. And it isn't happening by accident.

*** Apple Seen As Top Pick As PC Sector Faces Tough Q4
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/10/27/apple-computers-pcs-1027markets05.html?partner=topix>
Ed Lin, Forbes

*** Podcast UI Changes To 5th Gen iPods
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8221?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Todd Ogasawara, O'Reilly Network

There are two wewlcome changes for 5th generation iPod (nano and video) owners.

*** iTheater To Be Released December 23rd
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/27/itheater-to-be-released-december-23rd/>
Damien Barrett, Unofficial Apple Weblog

A group of Macintosh developers has been working on an open-source home theatre media center project called iTheater Mac Media Center.

*** Need A Job? Don't Use A Mac
<http://news.com.com/Need+a+job+Dont+use+a+Mac/2100-1046_3-5917696.html?part=rss&tag=5917696&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

When it comes to some big-name companies, Macintosh users may have a tough time landing a job. It's not just that the business world is dominated by Windows-based computers. It's because, at a number of large companies, Mac users literally can't apply.

[Opinion]

*** Television Physics And The $1.99 Price Point
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000250065426/>
Peter Rojas, Engadget

Suddenly you're not only skipping commercials you're skipping shows and they just can't have that.

*** ROKR Is For SUKRs
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/10/wo/wo_102805hellweg.asp?trk=top>
Eric Hellweg, MIT Technology Review

*** Shopping, Dell Vs. Apple
<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/10/26/Dell-Huh>
ongoing

*** The Mac Mini Software Challenge
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/10/minisoftware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jennifer Berger, Macworld

That's right -- I'm not installing anything new on my new Mac mini, until I truly must. Let's see how good a value this nice-looking bundle really is.

[Review]

*** Music Still Rules On Video iPod
<http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/business/13015205.htm>
Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press

The biggest problem is the anemic selection of commercial programming.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Could Pull Windows From S. Korea
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/28/microsoft/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

Microsoft has warned that if South Korean regulators order it to remove code or redesign Windows as part of an ongoing unfair competition investigation, it could pull the operating system from the market or delay the introduction of new versions.

[Village Voice 50th Anniversary Special]

*** 'Mass Naked Happening'
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thwetzsteo,69178,31.html>
Ross Wetzsteon, Village Voice

The way of all flesh: stripping for inaction.

*** The Detached Cool Of Andy Warhol
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thwilcock,69176,31.html>
John Wilcock, Village Voice

*** A Rape In Cyberspace
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thdibbell,69273,31.html>
Julian Dibbell, Village Voice

How an evil clown, a Haitian trickster spirirt, two wizards, and a cast of dozens turned a database into a society.

*** Stage Beauty
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thefein,69322,31.html>
Michael Feingold, Village Voice

Downtown theater and the 'Voice' grow up together.

*** To Tell The Truth
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thcook,69292,31.html>
Karen Cook, Village Voice

What if Clinton had said he loved those blowjobs?

*** Generation Ex
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thweisbard,69297,31.html>
Eric Weisbard, Village Voice

Some get a decade; we get a moment.

*** Terror Attack
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thsolomon,69305,31.html>
Alisa Solomon, Village Voice

*** A New Kind Of Abortion War
<http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/0543,50thlerner,69315,31.html>
Sharon Lerner, Village Voice

Stealth pro-life campaign erodes reproductive rights.

[Life]

*** On Not Having Sex
<http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0543,bussel,69197,24.html>
Rachel Kramer Bussel, Village Voice

Three months of sleeping alone yield some surprising conclusions.

*** It's A Marriage Of Sorts
<http://bostonworks.boston.com/globe/articles/102305_spousework.html>
Kate M. Jackson, Boston Globe

With people spending so much time at the office these days, the notion of work wives and husbands is a growing phenomenon in offices across the country.

[Ramblings]

*** Customers Are Not Statstics
Heng-Cheong Leong

In the midst of Singapore going full gear in raising the standard of its service industry, here we have SBS Transit and TransitLink treating their customers as mere statistics, mere numbers.

"System faults which result in incorrect fare charges are random occurrences. For every case of overcharging, there is an equal probability of undercharging," claims SBS Transit and TransitLink <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,349298,00.html?>. Why is SBS Transit and TransitLink even stating this fact (over and over again in various letters, I'll add) is beyond me.

Customers are not mere statistics. It does not matter if the transport companies doesn't make any profits out of the mistakes. An overcharge is an overcharge, and it does not matter how many undercharge occurs. It does not balance out, especially since overcharging and undercharging are occuring on separate individuals.

Is TransitLink telling me that if I over-paid SBS Transit on one trip -- say, paying a $1.50 trip with a $2 note, it's okay for me to underpay my next trip on a SMRT bus -- say, paying another $1.50 trip with a $1 coin? I don't think so. So why is SBS Transit and TransitLink making this excuse?

LTA and the transport companies should get their act together. Commuters have heard enough of excuses and empty promises.

[News]

*** Singapore Bans Gay Website
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/singapore-bans-gay-website/2005/10/28/1130400335787.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

Authorities in Singapore banned a gay website after receiving complaints about the promotion of promiscuous homosexual behavior and recruitment of underage boys for sex and nude photography, news reports say.

*** Singapore Executioner Wants Out
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Singapore-executioner-wants-out/2005/10/28/1130400330251.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

The man due to execute convicted Australian drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van in Singapore is a 73-year-old grandfater who can't retire because no one will take his job.

[Opinion]

*** Key Is To Enforce Existing Laws, Not Have New Ones
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,349479,00.html?>
Jean Tan, Ministry of Manpower, Straits Times

*** A Sense Of False Safety In Numbers
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/80834.asp>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

Zooming in on home equity may not give an accurate picture of lower-income households' finances.

*** Don't Ask Singapore To Make An Exception
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17056258%255E7583,00.html>
Asad Latif, The Australian

The laws of Singpaore are not to blame. Drugs are.