[MyAppleMenu] Oct 31, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 31 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Freescale Releases CodeWarrior As Download
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13013>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Freescale's Developer Technology Organization (formerly Metrowerks) will make CodeWarrior Development Studio for Mac OS X available as a download today, Monday, October 31.

*** Bringing Aperture Into Focus
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7887-8063>
Rob Galbraith

Watching Aperture run, we couldn't help but think that we've put up with the poorly-designed interfaces of certain applications, and the seriously slow underpinnings of others, for far too long. Aperture appears to demonstrate that there is a better way to design certain aspects of applications for pro photographers.

[Opinion]

*** iPod Party Animals
<http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2005/10/30/ipod_party_animals>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

*** The Trouble With iPod
<http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2005/10/31-0957-9869.html>
Alex Malik, Crikey

If majors like Universal and Warner are being forced to bow to Apple, what hope do independent recording artists have to survive the digital age, let alone thrive?

[Review]

*** Five Reasons Why The 4G iPod Is Better -- For Audio
<http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/harddisk/0,39029137,40057883,00.htm>
James Kim, CNET

*** Disney's Technology Grows Up
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69297,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Jacob Ogles, Wired News

Fifty years after Walt Disney unleashed his vision of an immersive theme park at Disneyland, Disney storytellers are taking the dream to new heights with interactivity.

*** Google Wants To Dominate Madison Avenue, Too
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/business/yourmoney/30google.html>
Saul Hansell, New York Times

Google is preparing to disrupt the advertising business itself, by replacing creative salesmanship with cold number-crunching.

*** Why Race Isn't As 'Black' And 'White' As We Think
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/31/opinion/31mon4.html?ex=1288414800&en=ab33463465ce1adf&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Brent Staples, New York Times

The ultimate point is that none of us really know who we are, ancestrally speaking.

*** Shack Attack
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/10/30/shack_attack/>
Jan Freeman, Boston Globe

Birds do it, bees do it. Brad and Angelina, too, do it: Shacking up may be 70 years old, but it's as spry as ever, cocking its skeptical eyebrow at live-in lovers everywhere.

[EOF]

*** How To Greet The Accused So You Won't Feel Guilty
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/29/AR2005102901575.html>
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts, Washington Post

So, you run into Scooter Libby, Tom DeLay or Marion Barry at a party. Awkward, huh?

*** Meeting With PM Gives Nguyen Hope
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/meeting-with-pm-gives-nguyen-hope/2005/10/31/1130720478030.html>
The Age

A young Australian on death row in Singapore has been given new hope after a meeting between his lawyer and Prime Minister John Howard.

*** Howard Could Save Death Row Man: Lawyer
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/howard-could-save-death-row-man-lawyer/2005/10/31/1130607179654.html>
AAP, Sydney Morning Herald

*** AdamAir Plans Flights From Singapore To Hong Kong, India
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=58913>
DPA

*** Singapore's Unemployment Rate Dips
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8DIPVQO0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
BusinessWeek

*** Singapore Activists To Protest Hanging
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Singapore-activists-to-protest-hanging/2005/10/31/1130720469464.html>
AAP

Activists in tightly controlled Singapore plan to stage a rare public protest against the impending execution of convicted Austrlian drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van. Next week's indoor vigil would be an unusual show of opposition to capital punishment in Singapore.

*** Local Mindsets Must Change
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/81349.asp>
Valerie Law, Today

*** Restaurants Free To Allow Guide Dogs In
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/81304.asp>
Vinita Ramani, Today

In a further easing of rules to make Singapore a friendlier place for the visually handicapped who rely on guide dogs, restaurant owners will soon be able to allow guide dogs on their premises without having to apply for a special licence.

*** Maids Beware Of Employers Who Spy
<http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=7816&CatID=9>
AFP

Singaporean employers are planting high-tech security cameras at home to spy on their foreign maids, a report said on Sunday.

*** Travel Agents Protest New Singapore Airlines Fare
<http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=107069>
Financial Express

Singapore Airlines has come under fire from travel agents in India for announcing a special fare structure with non-refundable taxes, which agents say is illegal.

[Opinion]

*** The New Poor?
<http://stardomdreams.blogspot.com/2005/10/new-poor.html>
Stardom Dreamer

*** Balance Of Benefits A Priority
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Letters/20051031083032/Article/indexb_html>
Craig Lim, Singapore High Commission, New Straits Times

As discussions between the two sides are still in progress, Singapore will not take up the assessments made in the above-mentioned letter point by point.

*** Little Kiki Died. She Could Have Done With Some Help
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,349749,00.html?>
Ong Kian Seng, Straits Times

*** Jams At Checkpoints? Security Must Come First
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,349968,00.html?>
Chia Wei Kiang, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority, Straits Times

The type and volume of traffic cleared at Woodlands Checkpoint is different from that at Changi Airport.

*** Are We Game To Stand Up And Be Counted On Death Penalty?
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/are-we-game-to-stand-up-and-be-counted-on-death-penalty/2005/10/30/1130607137898.html>
Michelle Grattan, Sun-Herald

It takes a delicate balancing act to match our human rights stance with regional sensitivities.

*** Stop Hanging People!
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2005/yax-503.htm>
Yawningbread.org

The truly sorry thing is, it's not as if we benefit from hanging people. It's not as if we'd automatically suffer more criminal activity if we stopped hanging people, as studies about (the absence of) deterrence have shown. It's just false pride.

*** Academic Freedom Or Freedom From Academic
<http://mykel-ism.blogspot.com/2005/10/academic-freedom-or-freedom-from.html>
The Art Of Being Me

This episode is telling because it reveals how the PAP's efforts of political consolidation run counter to its economic aspirations of becoming an educational hub for Asia.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]