[MyAppleMenu] Nov 9, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 9 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** iPod Marketing Exposed
<http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Entertainment/Industry/?article=/Entertainment/Industry/Magazine%20Articles/X9G7J8H6>
David Richards, Smarthouse

The chances are that during the next 12 months you or your children or someone in your family will want to purchase an Apple iPod, an iPod accessory or a Mac computer.

*** Apple To Open Retail Store In Brea, CA On Nov 12th
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/11/08/apple-store-brea/>
MacMinute

*** New Motorola Razr Phone Features iTunes
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/11/08/razrv3i/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

A new version of Motorola's popular wide-bodied but slim cell phone, the Razr V3i features an "updated and streamlined" design, according to the company.

*** Networks Consider iTunes To Sell Video
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/11/networks/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

*** Apple Aims To Protect Rosetta Mark
<http://news.com.com/Apple+aims+to+protect+Rosetta+mark/2100-1047_3-5939915.html?part=rss&tag=5939915&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple has applied for a trademark for Rosetta, the translation technology that will act as a bridge as Apple moves to Intel chips beginning next year.

*** Another QuickTime Flaw Found
<http://news.com.com/Another+QuickTime+flaw+found/2100-1002_3-5940081.html?part=rss&tag=5940081&subj=news>
Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com

Less than three weeks after Apple issued an update to patch four security flaws in its QuickTime media player, a new "critical" problem has been discovered.

*** RadioShack To Sell iPods, Becomes Authorized Apple Reseller
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/11/08/radioshack-to-sell-ipods-becomes-authorized-apple-reseller/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** The Story Of Shufflicious - Making An iPod Case To Sell
<http://www.bull5hit.org/blog/2005/11/story-of-shufflicious-making-ipod-case.html>
Bull5Hit

This is the story of one man's simple crusade to produce an iPod case that isn't a glorified condom, in the face of adversity from having no idea how to do it, erratic manufacturers and suppliers, and all under the knowledge that ultimately you are at the mercy of Uncle Steve Jobs and his iPod massive.

*** Tradeoffs In Video Downloads
<http://theocacao.com/document.page/193>
Scott Stevenson, Theocacao

Several media outlets have compared Comcast $1 fee to the $2 price at iTunes, but practically no one has mentioned that you actually get to keep the videos you download from iTunes.

*** Gates, Jobs & The Zen Aesthetic
<http://presentationzen.blogs.com/presentationzen/2005/11/the_zen_estheti.html>
Presentation Zen

"Visual-Zen Master," Steve Jobs, allows the screen to fade completely empty at appropriate, short moments while he tells his story.

[Review]

*** Graphire4: New Tablet Features Revamped Design And Great Software
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/11/reviews/graphire4/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Ben Long, Macworld

*** Care Bears Catch A Star
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2005/11/carebears/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The games are innocuous fun for small kids, but that's about it.

[Sidetrack]

*** It Doesn't Stand For Anything
Heng-Cheong Leong

Whether you call it AirPort or Wi-Fi <http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/08/wifi_isnt_short_for_.html>, it doesn't really stand for anything. Both are made-up names.

[Wintel]

*** Memos Plot A Course At Microsoft
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/technology/09web-soft.html?ex=1289106000&en=01ddd0c3cc492372&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Markoff, New York Times

Microsoft must fundamentally alter its business or face a significant competitive disadvantage from a growing array of companies offering internet services, according to memorandums written by two of the company's top executives.

*** Battling Bugs: A Digital Quagmire
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/bugs/0,2924,69369,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Simson Garfinkel, Wired News

*** Throwing Google At The Book
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/11/09/google/index.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Salon

Google's new search engine of books puts a world of knowledge at our fingertips. Publishers say the internet giant is robbing them of their rightful fees. Maybe it's time to call copyright laws history.

*** Costs, Culture Or Communism? Why Governments Choose Open Source
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39235934,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

Governments in Europe and the US have different reasons for adopting open source and cost isn't always high on the agenda.

*** Liberty Alliance Eases Way For Stronger ID Checks
<http://news.com.com/Liberty+Alliance+eases+way+for+stronger+ID+checks/2100-1029_3-5940442.html?part=rss&tag=5940442&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

To drive adoption of secure authentication, the Liberty Alliance has launched an effort to make password tokens, smart cards and similar products work smoothly together.

[World]

*** A Miracle And A Menace
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,7369,1637382,00.html>
Jonathan Watts, The Guardian

Hu Jintao is visitng London as president of a China at its most powerful for 200 years. It now needs resources to keep its factories running, its people sated. Its leaders want the economy to more than triple by 2020. For some, it is the business opportunity of a lifetime, but for others, the geostrategic and environmental threat of the century.

[Life]

*** His Night In The Sun
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/07/AR2005110701686.html>
Howard Kurtz, Washington Post

After 25 years, Ted Koppel is leaving the show that did it his way.

*** Making Books: The Politics Of Publishing
<http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110301847.html>
Paula Span, Washington Post

If you can't say anything nice, the current thinking goes, maybe you should be an author.

*** For Tourists, A Calmer Paris
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/07/travel/07parisweb.html>
Donald Morrison, New York Times

For a city under siege, Paris, in its center, is oddly pleasant these days.

[Expressions]

*** Gladiators
<http://www.crabcreekreview.org/ccr_volume18_2/gladiator.html>
S. D. Tullis, Crab Creek Review

I remember it differently from Mom and Dad. Of course, they weren&iacute;t around all the time like I was back then. Even Mom had started working again, after I had shown her that I wasn&iacute;t one of those hyperactive kids we always saw in the supermarket, running down the aisles yelling and screaming as though war had just been declared. Being an only child had something to do with that, I think. I was so used to living out of my own head I had no reason to cause trouble for anybody. And the times were a little different back then, too. The towns were a little smaller. You could leave a kid alone in the house for an afternoon without one of the busybody neighbors calling the police and reporting you. But Cutty was also living with us by that time, so I wasn&iacute;t exactly all by myself.

*** Advice For Little Girls
<http://www.quercusreview.com/Amanda%20Auchter.htm>
Amanda Auchter, Quercus Review

*** Lines Written Upon A Prophylactic Found In A Brixton Gutter
<http://www.thepoem.co.uk/poems/caley.htm>
Matthew Caley, The Poem

*** Gravity
<http://www.slate.com/id/2119883/>
Brian R. Lutz, Slate

*** Last-Ditch Plea To Stop Hangman
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/lastditch-plea-to-stop-hangman/2005/11/09/1131407690247.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

A Singapore human rights lawyer battling to block the execution of convicted Austrlian drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van has asked the United Nations to intervene and prevent a "manmade disaster."

*** Tough On Drugs, Soft On Drug Lords
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tough-on-drugs-soft-on-drug-lords/2005/11/08/1131407638823.html>
Connie Levett, Sydney Morning Herald

Singapore's tough stand on drug traffickers is at odds with its own economic relationship with a Burmese drug lord, according to Singapore's leading opposition figure, Dr Chee Soon Juan.

*** Singapore FM's Words Not "Threat": MFA
<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-11/08/content_3751812.htm>
Xinhua

A spokesman from Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Tuesday that Foreign Minister George Yeo's words "about the implications of building a half-bridge (by Malaysia) without Singapore's agreement was not a 'threat'."

*** Singapore Says FM's Remark Over Bridge Not A Threat
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=163979>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

*** Marina Bay: More Attractions To Come
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/83158.asp>
Shobha Tsering Bhalla, Today

The government is planning to put up for sale a site at Collyer Quay that will encompass the existing Clifford Pier and former Customs Harbour Branch buildings.

*** 'A' Level Curriculum Undergoes Major Revamp
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/177580/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

'A' level students will have a host of new subjects to choose from. Also, the overall curriculum time will be reduced by 16 to 18 percent, even though the students have to take on extra subject.

[Opinion]

*** Tough Drug Laws Can Still Have Heart
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/83148.asp>
Jacqueline Tan, Today

We should provide avenues for these drug couriers to surrender the drugs... with legal immunity from prosecution and the death penalty. In return, the couriers should provide the authorities with information on how and to whom they are supposed to deliver the drugs.

*** 'Bollywood' Lane Closures
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/83151.asp>
Muhd Rostam bin Umar, Singapore Police Force, Today

In this specific instance, we had exhausted options to conduct the shoot over the weekends.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]