[MyAppleMenu] Nov 8, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 8 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** iPod Class Action Lawsuit Goes International
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/07/nanosuit/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Lawyers representing users of a class action lawsuit filed in the United States that purchased iPod nanos have now filed suits on behalf of users in the United Kingdom and Mexico.

*** New iPod Means More TV Time, But Is It Needed?
<http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_3191333>
Aaron Wasserman, Sentinel & Enterprise

The first words Sterling resident Leewood Lane, 19, uttered upon viewing Apple's latest iPod model: "I actually think it's better than my own TV at home."

*** Over 1 Million Winodws To Mac Converts So Far In 2005?
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1360>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

"If we assume that all of the growth in Mac shipments during the past three quarters resulted from Windows users purchasing a Mac, then purchases by Windows users exceeded one million."

*** NBC Says Safeguards Needed For Wider Programming
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2005-11-07T193148Z_01_KNE770277_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-NBCUNIVERSAL-PIRACY.xml>
Michele Gershberg, Reuters

NBC Universal is prepared to offer more programming in new media outlets but is not yet assured of the protections against piracy in some venues, the media company's chairman and chief executive said on Monday.

*** Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Celebrates The Homebrew Computer Club Turning 30
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2127&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdblog>
Dan Farber, ZDNet

[Opinion]

*** The Score So Far: Dad 0, iPod $1,700
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/13082157.htm>
Mike Casidy, San Jose Mercury News

Steve Jobs got me spending money I don't have faster than I can count it. And it all started with a 3 1/2-ounce gizmo that is taking over the world.

*** Mac Takes Bite Out Of Windows
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002608438_paul07.html>
Paul Andrews, Seattle Times

A lot of techies I know, including some former Micro-softies, have switched. Among holdouts, I kept hearing their next computer would be a Mac.

*** iPod Video Confessional
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8347?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Fraser Speirs, O'Reilly Network

[Review]

*** Sprint Nextel Data Service Could Help Traveling Mac Users
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08320>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

*** iCamShare & ImageTricks Top Photo Booth
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08319>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

*** Missing Sync For Palm OS 5.0 Modernizes Palm Interaction
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08317>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

*** PhoneValet Message Center 3.0: New Features Keep Phone-Answering System At The Top Of Its Game
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/10/reviews/phonevalet30/index.php>
Ted Wallingford, Macworld

*** iCorrect Portrait 1.0.1: Fast And Accurate Color Correction Plug-In For Photoshop
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/09/reviews/icorrect101/index.php>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

*** DoorStop X 1.0: Software Firewall's Simple Interface Offers Easy Security Customization
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/09/reviews/doorstopx10/index.php>
Matt Vance, Macworld

*** Open Terminal Here
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/11/openterminalhere/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Planning For Your Holiday Destination?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Need to check whether there's an Apple Store nearby? Now, you can, thanks to FreeMacBlog.com who has mapped out each and every store <http://www.freemacblog.com/apple-retail-stores-on-a-google-map/> in the States on Google Map.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft's 'Live' Isn't New
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1882826,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Scot Petersen, eWeek

Microsoft, with its Live software-as-a-service initiative, is late to the hosted online app game.

*** The Online Travel Landscape Is Getting Crowded
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/07/technology/07ecom.html?8hpib>
Bob Tedeschi, New York Times

*** Extra Services, Extra Charges
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/11/07/BUGP0FIIMD1.DTL&type=tech>
Ryan Kim, San Francisco Chronicle

GPS, music, now cable -- it's all coming to a handset near you, but will you pay?

*** Grokster Goes Down
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,69503,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Associated Press

Grokster, a leading developer of internet file-sharing software popular for stealing songs and movies online, agreed Monday to shut down operations to settle a landmark piracy case filed by Hollywood and the music industry.

*** RFID Could Revolutionize Patient Safety
<http://news.com.com/RFID+could+revolutionize+patient+safety/2100-11393_3-5937878.html?part=rss&tag=5937878&subj=news>
Andrew Donoghue, CNET News.com

[Tech & Science]

*** Science And Religion Share Fascination In Things Unseen
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/science/08essay.html?ex=1289106000&en=8ad779a6983e2862&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Lawrence M. Krauss, New York Times

Mathematicians, artists and writers may choose beauty over truth. Scientists can only hope that we do not have to make the choice.

[Life]

*** Some Meditations Upon The Enigma That Is Stonehenge
<http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/05/31/specials/fowles-stonehenge.html>
John Fowles, New York Times

My earliest memory of Stonehenge is, like so many childhood memories, as much fiction as fact.

*** On The Wal-Mart Money Trail
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051121/featherstone>
Liza Featherstone, The Nation

As the nation's wealthiest family, the Waltons could be a force for social good. But when they choose to spend their fortune lobbying for pet projects, tax cuts and charter schools instead of providing a living wage for their workers, they are dangerous (and costly) to the nation.

*** Star Wars
<http://www.slate.com/id/2129306/>
Mike Steinberger, Slate

Did Michelin lower the bar for New York?

*** Book Hunting In Britain
<http://www.slate.com/id/2129497/entry/2129498/>
Jacob Weisberg, Slate

Book collectors are thrill-seekers. It is a vegetarian hunt to be sure, without much exertion or risk, but the endorphin rush of the chase and the adrenaline high of the capture are much the same with first editions as I imagine they must be in the pursuit of 10-point stags, largemouth bass, or 20-foot waves at Maverick's.

*** The Naked Truth
<http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/features/index.php?ntid=60554>
John Wiedenhdeft, Wisconsin State Journal

I'm not an exhibitionist. I don't even particularly like being nude. I get cold easily and I'm usually the last person in a room to take off his coat. The answer: It's a part-time job paying $13 per hour.

[Expressions]

*** The Best Year Of Life
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051114fi_fiction>
Paul Theroux, New Yorker

I got the appalling news as the whole family watched, all of them chewing and gabbling at the kitchen table, near where the phone hung on the wall. It was a few days before Christmas, so everyone was at home, all six of my siblings, the entire cast assembled at the footlights for this--not tragedy, since tragedy seldom visits the young--this cruel farce. I had just turned nineteen.

*** Singapore Blocks Letter Drop To Nguyen
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Singapore-blocks-letter-drop-to-Nguyen/2005/11/08/1131407630359.html?oneclick=true>
Sydney Morning Herald

Singapore activists have tried and failed to deliver a bundle of messages of support to Australian drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van as he sits on Singapore's death row.

*** Singaproe Tops Sacramento To Lure Firm
<http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2005/11/07/daily6.html>
Daniel S. Levine, Sacramento Business Journal

*** Save Australian: Singapore Activists
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Save-Australian-Singapore-activists/2005/11/07/1131211991481.html?oneclick=true>
The Age

Activists in Singapore have protested against the planned execution of a convicted Australian drug carrier, urging the government to relax its harsh drug laws.

*** Shanghai Port Overtakes Singapore By October
<http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2005/11/08/211547/Shanghai_port_overtakes_Singapore_by_October.htm>
Zhang Liuhao, Shanghai Daily

Shanghai is likely to overtake Singapore to be hte world's biggest port in terms of the total cargo volume this year.

*** Think 'Diesel' Means 'Smoky, Noisy'? Not Any More
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/82906.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

*** Solidarity Vigil - No To Death Penalty Draws Crowd Of 130
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/11/solidarity-vigil-no-to-death-penalty.html>
Singabloodypore

The forum touched on the various perspectives and issues concerning the death penalty in Singapore.

[Opinion]

*** Where Do We Stand In This Fight For Clemency?
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/11/where-do-we-stand-in-this-fight-for.html>
Singabloodypore

With the recent posts focusing on Nguyen Tuong Van, I am very much afraid that I do not know right from wrong and wrong from right anymore.

*** Why Is 'Race' Needed To Apply For Cable TV?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,351458,00.html?>
Robert F. Bruch, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>