[MyAppleMenu] Nov 10, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 10 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Pieces Fall Into Place For Intel-Apple
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1884611,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John G. Spooner and Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

With all of the components it needs to offer the machines apparently at its fingertips, Apple should be on track to begin offering its first Intel-based systems as soon as early 2006.

*** Intel-Powered Mac Mini May Be Close
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/mac/0,39020393,39236479,00.htm>
Karen Gomm, ZDNet UK

A financial analyst has got tongues wagging by predicting that the first fruits of Apple's partnership with Intel could be just a few weeks away.

*** Pixar Sells 125,000 Movies Via iTunes
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/11/09/pixar/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

*** Apple Tries To Patent 'Tamper-Resistant Software'
<http://news.com.com/Apple+tries+to+patent+tamper-resistant+software/2100-1045_3-5942107.html?part=rss&tag=5942107&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple, which is in the process of switching to computers based on the omnipresent Intel processor, has filed a patent application describing a method for securing running Mac OS X on specific hardware.

*** A Chat With The Brains Behind Myst
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/09/randmiller/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

With the release of Myst V: End of Ages, Cyan Worlds has officially offered the closing chapter of the Myst saga, 13 years after it got started.

*** Get 200 Hours Of Battery Life Out Of Your iPod
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/11/09/get-200-hours-of-battery-life-out-of-your-ipod/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** Connecting The Dots
<http://www.itnetcentral.com/computerworld/article.asp?id=15219&leveli=0&info=Computerworld>
Jack Madrid, Computerworld Philippines

*** DRM - Digital Rights Minimization
<http://writersblocklive.com/?p=62>
Writers Block Live

>From this day forward I will never spend another dime on content that I can't use the way I please.

*** Apple's Growing Army Of Converts
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051110_197491.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Sure, the iPod has its halo effect. But there are other reasons -- disparate and difficult to track -- that are encouraging a small-but-measurable migration away from Windows to the Mac.

*** Imagine It: The Sun, Some Ancient Ruins, You With No Laptop
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113157670822192797-F_LcKmKyW0_X_BgvTgxqUeYPDAI_20061109.html?mod=rss_free>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

Increasingly, it's possible to leave a laptop home on some types of trips and rely on a combination of a high-end cellphone and an iPod.

*** Can Apple Keep Shining?
<http://online.barrons.com/article/SB113155506951592443.html>
Barron's

The frenetic pace of innovation at Apple could present new opportunities, which could trigger an upgrade at a price that's much higher than it is today.

*** It's Time For Microsoft To Support OpenDoc
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8391>
Preston Gralla, O'Reilly Network

[Review]

*** WMP, Begone!
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/11/wmvplayer/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Ah, if only QuickTime understood Windows Media, right?

[Sidetrack]

*** Another Reason Why Apple Should Consider Making Computers With Different Colors
Heng-Cheong Leong

So that your husband doesn't accientally take yours to work in the morning. Aaahh.... the trouble with a two-PowerBooks family <http://worldofwati.blogspot.com/2005/11/problems-with-having-2-powerbooks.html>.

*** Imagine It: The Sun, Some Ancient Ruins, You With No Laptop
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113157670822192797-F_LcKmKyW0_X_BgvTgxqUeYPDAI_20061109.html?mod=rss_free>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

Increasingly, it's possible to leave a laptop home on some types of trips and rely on a combination of a high-end cellphone and an iPod.

*** C++ Poised For Its Next Stages
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1884735,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Esther Schindler, eWeek

[Tech & Science]

*** The Big Idea: No More Breakthroughs
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/11/10/big_idea_science/index.html>
John Horgan, Salon

We live in a period of explosive scientific progress. But admitting that science has limits may be our greatest achievement.

[Life]

*** Why Vote On Tuesdays?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/09/AR2005110901650.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
David S. Broder, Washington Post

If Andrew Young has his way, never again will we have a Tuesday election. The former mayor of Atlanta and ambassador ot the United Nations wants to switch the antion's voting to the weekend.

*** Gotta Scoot
<http://www.calendarlive.com/cl-wk-cover10nov10,0,2680671.story?coll=cl-home-top-blurb-right>
Elizabeth Segal, Los Angeles Times

In Southern California, motor scooter clubs are riding a wave of nostalgia -- and sweet gas mileage.

*** My Dinner With Google
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/08/AR2005110800242.html>
Andrea Sachs, Washington Post

I typed 'tofu oranges cauliflower.' And my computer concocted a meal.

*** Singapore Yet To Destroy Mines
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/10/nation/12554116&sec=nation>
Shahanaaz Habib, The Star

Singapore has one of the largest stockpiles of anti-personnel landmines in South-East Asia and a retired Canadian general who is an advocate for the banning of landmines hopes the Singapore leadership will not continue on that path.

*** Why Singapore Hums And Paris Burns
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,351908,00.html?>
Roger Cohen, New York Times

Singapore is a multiracial society with a large Muslim minority. So is France. But their approaches to that shared characteristic could scarcely differ more.

*** 5 With HIV Who Gave Blood Charged With Lying
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,351867,00.html?>
Chong Chee Kin, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** The Death Penalty Is Abhorrent. Full Stop.
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/11/death-penalty-is-abhorrent-full-stop.html>
Singabloodypore

To me, on humane grounds, the death penalty is anachronistic and abhorrent.

*** PLU3 Banned From National Library
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/11/plu3-banned-from-national-library.html>
Singabloodypore

This stands in stark opposition to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's statement, "I don't think the government is homophobic."

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]