[MyAppleMenu] May 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 6 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Tiger Caged By SMB, Active Directory Problems
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1813445,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John Rizzo, eWeek

A number of sites running Apple's new "Tiger" operating system are experiencing problems with SMB file sharing and authentication with Microsoft's Active Directory.

*** Apple Pays No Homage To Catalonia
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11517>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple has raised the ire of perhaps ten million Europeans -- because it chose not to deliver Catalanese localization within Mac OS X Tiger.

*** Apple Releases Bonjour For Windows
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_releases_bonjour_for_windows/>
MacDailyNews

*** iPod Shuffle Gets A Speaker System
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/05/05/shufflestation/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

[Review]

*** Automator Audiobooks
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/05/automatoraudiobooks/index.php?lsrc=plrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** Upgrade Or No?
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/05/upgradeorno/index.php?lsrc=mac911blog>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Tiger's First Tweaks
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/05/tigertweaks/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Tiger's been out less than a week, and there are already a number of interesting utilities to customize it -- in subtle ways -- to your preferences.

*** Apple Shatters Windows With Tiger
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy05.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

All I can tell you is that with Tiger on store shelves, and a new Windows a mere shapeless dot shimmering vaguely over the horizon, there has never been a more compelling time to switch to a Mac.

[Sidetrack]

*** We Just Have More Fun
Heng-Cheong Leong

Develop Windows applications, and you'll probably need to read books like "Programming .NET Windows Applications" and "Programming 'Indigo': The Unified Framework for Building Service-Oriented Applications On The Microsoft Windows Platform Beta Edition".

Develop Macintosh applications, and you can read books like "Happy Macintosh Development Time <http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/05/mac_developers_.html>".

Now, tell me, which is better? :-)

*** Coffee Or Password -- Which Would You Choose?
<http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-5697143.html?part=rss&tag=5697143&subj=news>
Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com

Security vendor VeriSign found 66 percent would choose to give up their passwords for a Starbucks coffee.

[Tech & Science]

*** Earth Has Become Brighter, But No One Is Sure Why
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/science/06bright.html?ex=1273032000&en=0d78692f9689f649&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Kenneth Chang, New York Times

The brightening means that more sunlight -- and thus more heat -- is reaching the ground. That could partly explain the record-high global temperatures reported in the late 1990's, and it could accelerate the planet's warming trend.

*** Dealing With The Political Singaporean
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/49048.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

One of the challenges facing the government is managing the growing political consciousness of Singaporeans, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

[Opinion]

*** Channel NewsAsia On AcidFlask
<http://sg-comment.blogspot.com/2005/05/channel-newsasia-on-acidflask.html>
Singapore Commentator

It would probably be a good idea for Channel NewsAsia to do some serious soul-searching.

*** Singapore Is The Victim
<http://slmjd.blogspot.com/2005/05/singapore-is-victim.html>
Gilbert Koh, Singapore Legal Mumbo Jumbo Demystified

If I were Lee Hsien Loong or Goh Chok Tong, I would be upset. Because the biggest victim is not Acidflask, nor Philip Yeo, nor A*STAR. In my opinion, Singapore is the biggest victim.

*** Acidflask's Story
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/05/acidflasks-story.html>
Singabloodypore

"I am disappointed and discouraged that Mr Philip Yeo had not attempt to correct any possible misconceptions that I may have had over the interpretation of publicly available information, deciding instead to threaten to sue me for defamation."

*** Set Deadline For A Solution
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/49009.asp>
Today

I do not understand what they mean by taking this matter "seriously", when the issue has remained unresolved for such a long time.

*** CNA Article On Acidflask's Case
<http://slmjd.blogspot.com/2005/05/cna-article-on-acidflasks-case.html>
Gilbert Koh, Singapore Legal Mumbo Jumbo Demystified

In my entire life, I don't think I've ever seen a news report about a defamation case, that didn't even state what the alledgedly defamatory statement was!

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]