[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 5 13:15:00 EDT 2005

[Top Stories]

*** Apple Exec: Shuffle Grabs 58% Of Flash Player Market; What Cell Phone Threat?
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/05/04.4.shtml>
Brad Gibson, Mac Observer

On the market less than six months, Apple's iPod shuffle has grabbed a 58% share of the flash-based digital media player market, company chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer said.

[News]

*** Trimming Costs? Shrink The Motherboard
<http://www.ncasia.com/ViewArt.cfm?Magid=3&Artid=26751&Catid=1&subcat=1>
Seamus Phan, Network Computing Asia

*** iPod's Halo
<http://washingtontimes.com/business/20050504-085829-1155r.htm>
Chris Baker, Washington Times

For now, the halo effect exists primarily as a theory in the minds of executives and some analysts, but evidence is emerging that it is becoming a real phenomenon.

*** Get A Mac Mini For More Vroom
<http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20050505.html>
Alred Siew, Straits Times

When Mr Ferdinand Tang climbs into his Beemer these days, it is not the lights on the dashboard that catch his eye. Instead, it's a Mac OS X screen powering up at the center console.

*** Apple Files SEC Form 10Q For March Quarter
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/05/05/apple.files.sec.form.10q/>
MacNN

*** Apple And Sony Battle It Out For Music Download Throne
<http://japantoday.com/e/?content=shukan&id=276>
Japan Today

"Sure, Sony pioneered the Walkman, but nowadays, we don't even consider them a competitor." Famous last words?

*** Now, iButtons For The iPod; Soon, iCuff Links And iTie?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/technology/circuits/05button.html?ex=1272945600&en=b7b631260518fe6e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Andrew Zipern, New York Times

As any owner of the original Sony Walkman will tell you, there's something uniquely satisfying about the feel of real buttons.

*** iTunes Hits The Pause Button
<http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15177683%255E953,00.html>
Jennifer Dudley, Courier-Mail

An agreement with one major record company stands between Australian iPod users and their Holy Grail -- the long-awaited Apple iTunes Music Store.

[Opinion]

*** Go Break Something
<http://www.backupbrain.com/2005_05_01_archive.html#a004517>
Dori Smith, Backup Brain

So, Microsoft -- go break something. Then you'll be interesting.

*** Can Apple Stay On Top?
<http://laptopmag.com/Pundit/Can-Apple-Stay-on-Top.htm>
Joel Johnson, Laptop Magazine

Now that the iPod has taken over the free world, Apple's biggest enemy might not be its competitors, but itself.

*** AMD And Apple Are Made For Each Other
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/04/19OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/04/19OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

The companies unwittingly and reluctantly help the market shed its addiction to low expectations.

*** The Downside Of Upgrades
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/05/osxupgrade/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Scholle Sawyer McFarland, Macworld

Upgrading to a new operating system has gotten easier over the past decade. But I still look forward to the day when I can boot into my new OS for the first time without needing an aspirin and a stiff drink.

*** Operating Systems And Recent History
<http://dangillmor.typepad.com/dan_gillmor_on_grassroots/2005/05/operating_syste.html>
Dan Gillmor, Grassroots Journalism

Personal computers are cheaper than ever, but they remain too uunreliable and difficult to use. Only competition -- from commercial and non-commercial sources alike -- can make a difference.

[Review]

*** iPod Photo Interference Issue Traced, Explained
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-photo-interference-issue-traced-explained/>
Jeremy Horwitz, iPodlounge

*** Mac Anti-Virus: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
<http://www.mrbarrett.com/archives/2005/05/mac_antivirus_t.html>
Damien Barrett, MrBarrett.com

The state of anti-virus protection on the Mac (as I see it).

[Sidetrack]

*** iPod Yum Yum
Heng-Cheong Leong

>From lickable interface to edible iPods <http://www.boingboing.net/2005/05/04/ipod_shuffles_made_o.html>, we've come a long way, baby.

*** Evaluating A Patent System Gone Awry
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/04/AR2005050402140.html>
Jonathan Krim, Washington Post

Problem is, reform is in the eye of the patent holder.

*** In Technology Race, China Has Powerful Strategy
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/11563679.htm>
Miguel Helft, San Jose Mercury News

It's jus tplain dumb for the United States to think it can compete in the tech race against China and other nations without a technology policy of its own.

*** Your Phone Is Calling Your Car
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/technology/techspecial/04rothman.html?ex=1272859200&en=3529272f3d30dcd8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Wilson Rothman, New York Times

[World]

*** Now That's What I Call Democracy
<http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election/story/0,15803,1476621,00.html>
Simon Schama, The Guardian

The godless knowabout of British democracy felt like a breath of fresh air. And even ROusseau would have approved.

[Life]

*** M Is For The Many Meals She Made
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/03/AR2005050300394.html>
DeNeen L. Brown, Washington Post

My grandmother, stil serving her Sunday best.

*** Do Parents Matter?
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-05-03-parents-edit_x.htm>
Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt, USA Today

The most interesting conclusion is one that many modern parents may find disturbing: Parenting technique is highly overrated. When it comes to early test scores, it's not so much what you do as a parent, it's who you are.

*** Singapore Budget Airline Considers Eastern Australia Routes
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/5/latest/20050505115700&sec=Latest>
Associated Press

Singapore budget carrier Valuair is considering routes to eastern Australia, a move the would put it in direct competition with several major international airlines.

*** Singapore Falun Gong Practitioners Released
<http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-5/28488.html>
Li Qun, Epoch Times

*** Two Falungong Women Released
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/48837.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

*** Low Cost, Not Low Comfort
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/48823.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

Upcoming budget-airline terminal will be 'funa nd comfortable.'

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]