[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 4 13:15:00 EDT 2005

[Top Stories]

*** Apple's Tiger Will Rule Non-Tech Innovator Jungle For More Than A Year
<http://www.yeald.com/Yeald/a/35201/apple_s_tiger_will_rule_non-tech_innovator_jungle_for_more_than_a_year.html>
Marcel van Leeuwen, Yeald

Most techs agree that Apple's TIger is better than current Windows OS versions and possibly better than the omni-absent Longhorn OS. In the past, it was hard for Apple to transform technical superiority into sales. This time, things are different.

[News]

*** Stay At Algonquin And Borrow An iPod
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/04/stay-at-the-algonquin-and-borrow-an-ipod/>
scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The legendary Algonquin hotel is offering their guests a little something extra.

*** iPod Takes Tunes To A New Level
<http://www.journalreview.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=17607>
Brittney Dick, Journal Review

*** The History Of Apple's iPod
<http://osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4259>
Saad, osViews

*** In A Snarl Over 'Tiger'
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050502.gttigermay2/BNStory/Technology/>
Jack kapica, Globe And Mail

Robert F. Young -- a founder of Linux distributor Red Hat and now owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Candian football team, has offered to license the team's historical use of the word Tiger to Apple free of charge.

*** Apple Releases Panther Security Update
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/05/03/security-update/>
MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** Apple Matters
<http://artfishman.com/apple-matters>
artfishman.com

Apple must remain hungry, humble and intelligent yet there are already visible signs of procrastination and arrogance; let's hope stupidity won't kick in.

*** The Soul Of WWDC 2005
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/03/wwdc.html>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

At this year's conference, you're going to see something new. The keyword is community. Not only will Apple connect you to its engineers and its leader, but a whole environment is being created to immerse you in the Mac development community.

[Review]

*** EarJams Are Helpful, To A Point
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/4411/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum

*** Automator "Run Web Service" Parameters
<http://rentzsch.com/macosx/automatorRunWebServiceParameters>
Rentzsch.com

*** Dear Steve, Fix Safari
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/03/dear-steve-fix-safari/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Safari should warn you that you have several tabs open, and do you really want to close the window.

*** Write Your Own Automator Actions
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/03/automator.html>
Matt Neuburg, O'Reilly Network

*** Atari Arcade Classics
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=573>
Mark Sabbatini, Inside Mac Games

If Hasbro can fix the loading problems and perhaps offer its entire collection of remakes on a single similarly-priced DVD its value in a crowded field of tributes to yesteryear will be greatly enhanced.

*** Tiger's Gem-Worthy Features
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/05/tigersbuiltingems/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** A Gamer's Look At The New iMac G5
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2005/05/gamerg5/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Top Stories]

*** Galaxy Quest
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2117942/fr/rss/>
Paul Boutin, Slate

It's too bad Douglas Adams wasn't able to see his vision brought to life. I don't mean the so-so movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm talking about WIkipedia, the Web's own don't-panic guide to everything.

[News]

*** Bluetooth Looks To USB For Bandwidth
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/04/HNbluetoothuwb_1.html>
Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

Bluetooth group sees piggy-backing on UWB as a way to speed up Bluetooth for future products.

*** New Technology Is The Big Challenge For Madison Avenue's Executives
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/business/media/04adco.html>
Stuart Elliott, New York Times

*** The Man Who Brewed Up Java
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2005/tc2005054_3448_tc057.htm>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

James Gosling sees new uses for the programming language he created 10 years ago, such as making his home-entertainment system work right.

*** As Cellphones Bulk Up, How Much Is Too Much?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/technology/techspecial/04lohr.html?ex=1272859200&en=e979623512027ecd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

There is a digital land rush going on, driven by rapid advances in technology that makes it possible to put more and more tools of higher and higher quality into phones.

[World]

*** Torture's Tortured Cultural Roots
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/02/AR2005050201699.html>
Teresa Wiltz, Washington Post

In the real world, we're all doing a soft-shoe over the oversize primate in the courtroom.

[Life]

*** Forget The Specials, Explain The Restroom
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/dining/04john.html?8hpib>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

I couldn't figure out why, in restaurant after restaurant, the attempt to relieve oneself turned out to be anything but a relief.

*** The Woodpecker In All Of Us
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/03/opinion/03rosen.html?ex=1272772800&en=ec4e93b053394345&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jonathan Rosen, New York Times

Among its gifts to us, the ivory bill can help us see ourselves as we really are, torn between our own desire to be free -- to shoot and develop and cut down and expand -- and the desire to live among free things that can survive only if we are less free.

*** When Did We Get "Cold Feet"?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2117944/fr/rss/>
Daniel Engber, Slate

The Germans had 'em first!

*** Students Singaporean Experience
<http://cootamundra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=390798&y=2005&m=5>
Cootamundra Herald

"We have a lot to learn from Singapore and other countries that practice water conservation."

*** fair Grounds for Fare Hikes?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/48640.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

SBS Transit joins SMRT Corp in applying to raise bus, train fees.

[Opinion]

*** Your Name On Your Favorite LT Chair, $1000. Your Name In Everyone's Hearts & Minds, Priceless.
<http://www.djourne.net/singaporeink/index.php/archives/2005/05/02/your-name-on-your-favourite-lt-chair-1000-your-name-in-everyones-hearts-minds-priceless/>
Singapore Ink

*** Ideal Hair
<http://beconfused.com/blog/2005/05/01/ideal-hair/>
BeConfused

I never understood what has good hair got to do with good school results and I probably will never.

*** Throwing Good Money After High-Tech
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/48578.asp>
Prithpal Singh, Today

Technology and funds need not always provide the best approach to solving Singapore's problems.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]