[MyAppleMenu] May 7, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 7 13:15:01 EDT 2005

[Announcement]

*** Minimal Updates On MyAppleMenu Between May 8 - 15
Heng-Cheong Leong

Tomorrow, I'm going off to Guangzhou (China, if you didn't recognize that) for a business trip. One week of meetings, programming, and tons of bugs-fixing.

As such, I will probably not be updating this web site too much, if at all. The amount of updates will depend on whether I have the time, the internet connect, and the access to my online tools (Bloglines, Google, etc) and news sites (New York Times, Washhington Post). But, it is probably be safe to say, updates will be less than normal.

Normal updates will resume on May 16th.

[Opinion]

*** When Will Apple Grow Up?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1813718,00.asp>
David Coursey, eWeek

Tiger is great, or it will be soon. But if Apple wants to be considered a player in the enterprise, then it needs to improve its beta trial system to avoid the surprises now visitng networked Macs.

*** The Future Of Music Distribution And Sales?
<http://www.ktoddstorch.com/business/2005/05/the_future_of_m.html>
ktoddstorch @ business thoughts

It took zero radio play, zero ad budget and no retail store was necessary for this transaction.

[Review]

*** Tiger Makes Mac's Edge Even Sharper
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_19/b3932036_mz006.htm>
Stephen H. Wildstrom, BusinessWeek

Unlike search add-ons for PCs, Tiger's Spotlight is always available.

*** The Sims 2
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/reviews/sims2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The Sims 2 keeps what was fun about the original while offering a huge amount of new challenge.

*** Tiger Evaluated: Spotlight
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/05/tigerevalspotlight/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Yes, it hasn't reached its full potential. But what's already there in Mac OS X 10.4.0 is pretty impressive, and I have the feeling that it'll only get better.

[Sidetrack]

*** In A World Of Their Own
Heng-Cheong Leong

iPod users already immerse themselves in a musical (and/or podcasting) world, cutting off communications with others in the "real" world.

And now, you don't even have to talk to anyone when purchasing an iPod. (Even if you buy from Apple's online store, you still may have to speak with the delivery guy.)

Introducing: the iPod Vending Machine <http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbisson/12619332/>.

*** Headless USB Drive
Heng-Cheong Leong

You've seen the headless iMac. (a.k.a. Mac mini) Now, see the headless USB drive <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/storage/barbie-usb-drive-102600.php> that may give you or your daughter nightmares.

[Wintel]

*** Meet The Head Of Microsoft's Linux Lab
<http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1813672,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535>
Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft Watch

Bill Hilf is the techie behind Microsoft's Linux listening post. He also is a key player in Microsoff's evolving strategy to reach out to the open-source community.

[Announcement]

*** Minimal Updates On MyAppleMenu Between May 8 - 15
Heng-Cheong Leong

Tomorrow, I'm going off to Guangzhou (China, if you didn't recognize that) for a business trip. One week of meetings, programming, and tons of bugs-fixing.

As such, I will probably not be updating this web site too much, if at all. The amount of updates will depend on whether I have the time, the internet connect, and the access to my online tools (Bloglines, Google, etc) and news sites (New York Times, Washhington Post). But, it is probably be safe to say, updates will be less than normal.

Normal updates will resume on May 16th.

[Top Stories]

*** Antipiracy Rule For Broadcasts Is Struck Down
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/technology/07tele.html?ex=1273118400&en=16d1869b8c756dd5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Stephen Labaton, New York Times

A federal appeals court handed a major setback to Hollywood and the television networks on Friday when it struck down an antipiracy regulation requiring computer and television makers to use new technology that would make it difficult for consumers to copy and distribute digital programs.

[News]

*** Google Speed Bump Draws Scorn
<http://news.com.com/Google+speed+bump+draws+scorn/2100-1032_3-5698447.html?part=rss&tag=5698447&subj=news>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Google has raised privacy and security hackles once again, this time by developing an application that accelerates Web surfing but can also delete pages or serve up password-protected content.

[Announcement]

*** Minimal Updates On MyAppleMenu Between May 8 - 15
Heng-Cheong Leong

Tomorrow, I'm going off to Guangzhou (China, if you didn't recognize that) for a business trip. One week of meetings, programming, and tons of bugs-fixing.

As such, I will probably not be updating this web site too much, if at all. The amount of updates will depend on whether I have the time, the internet connect, and the access to my online tools (Bloglines, Google, etc) and news sites (New York Times, Washhington Post). But, it is probably be safe to say, updates will be less than normal.

Normal updates will resume on May 16th.

[World]

*** We Must Not Forget How War Was Won
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,2763,1478657,00.html>
Richard Overy, The Guardian

It was the Soviet and Chinese sacrifice that made victory possible.

[Life]

*** Celebrating The U.S.S.R. In Song, Uncle Joe And All
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/international/europe/07gazmanov.html?>
Erin E. Arvedlund, New York Times

Oleg M. Gazmanov makes no apologies for putting the leading figures of Russian history, artists and mass murderers alike, on an equal plane.

[Announcement]

*** Minimal Updates On MyAppleMenu Between May 8 - 15
Heng-Cheong Leong

Tomorrow, I'm going off to Guangzhou (China, if you didn't recognize that) for a business trip. One week of meetings, programming, and tons of bugs-fixing.

As such, I will probably not be updating this web site too much, if at all. The amount of updates will depend on whether I have the time, the internet connect, and the access to my online tools (Bloglines, Google, etc) and news sites (New York Times, Washhington Post). But, it is probably be safe to say, updates will be less than normal.

Normal updates will resume on May 16th.

[News]

*** Simple Apology Not Enough, Says A*Star
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/49255.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

It wants 'unreserved apology' from PhD student by Sunday.

[Opinion]

*** To Speak Up Or Not To Speak Up?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/49237.asp>
Lim Boon Hee, Today

A*Star should take this kind of opportunity to brand itself by winning the debate convincingly and not degrade its image by invoking its legal rights.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.