[MyAppleMenu] Jun 5, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 5 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** 16 Percent Of Computer Users Are Unaffected By Viruses, Malware Because They Use Apple Macs
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5933/>
MacDailyNews

*** Intel, Apple Coupling Could Woo Hollywood
<http://news.com.com/Intel,+Apple+coupling+could+win+in+Hollywood/2100-7341_3-5732238.html>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

The new alliance between Apple and Intel will reverberate through Silicon Valley, and it will likely make waves in Hollywood, too.

*** Apple Seeds: iPod Innovators Seen As Blueprint For U.S. Future
<http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=88087>
Brett Arends, Boston Herald

If you want to see the future of American manufacturing, turn over your iPod and look on the back. "Designed by Apple in California," it reads in small print at the bottom. Then it adds: "Assembled in China."

*** iPod: A World In Your Ear
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1499365,00.html>
Carl Wilikinson, The Observer

Such is the burgeoning world of the iPod.

*** Internet Busy With Talk Of Apple/IBM Parting
<http://news.com.com/Internet+busy+with+talk+of+AppleIBM+parting/2100-1006_3-5732127.html?part=rss&tag=5732127&subj=news>
Michelle Meyers, CNET News.com

*** Intel's Ongoing Courtship Of Apple
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/03/HNchandrasekher_1.html>
Sumner Lemon, Martyn Williams and Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service

"Apple is a design win that we've coveted for 20 years and we continue to covet them as a design win. We will never give up on Apple."

*** Apple To Ditch IBM, Switch To Intel Chips
<http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM%2C+switch+to+Intel+chips/2100-1006_3-5731398.html?tag=nefd.lede>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

Apple  plans to announce Monday that it's scrapping its partnership with IBM and switching its computers to Intel's microprocessors, CNET News.com has learned.

[Opinion]

*** What's Right About The PowerPC?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1824223,00.asp>
David Morgenstern, eWeek

I find it difficult to understand the insistence by some in the industry that Apple would be attracted to Intel's processor lines since, for the most part, the PowerPC is working well for it.

*** I'll See You Intel
<http://daringfireball.net/2005/06/see_you_intel>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

I can't think of a single sceanrio, no matter how contrived, that both fits with what CNet and the Journal have reported and makes sense for Apple and its customers and developers.

*** But Which Chip Is Intel Making For Apple?
<http://www.kottke.org/05/06/apple-intel-chip-switch>
Jason Kottke

What if Intel's going to be manufacturing the PowerPC chips that OS X already runs on?

*** Back To My iPod 15gb From The Shufffle
<http://tokerud.typepad.com/blog/2005/06/back_to_my_ipod.html>
Tech Ronin

Neither a big iPod nor the current shuffle are ideal.

*** Our Passion, Your Whatever :) - Microsoft's Mediocre Marketing
<http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/008572.html>
Michael Gartenberg, Jupiter Research

Apple markets their products in a way that emphasizes lifestyle as well as creates aspirational desires that users believe they can achieve.

*** Apple's Lost Opportunity
<http://stanforth.org/geekview/2005/20050604-apples-lost-opportunity.html>
Stanforth

AMD [is] absolutely crushing Intel. Imagine what PowerBooks could do on AMD's kind of power-performance point.

*** Will Jobs Embrace Intel?
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@738.6eO3a32u2kc.0@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c68dcd8>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

My gut tells me that this is Steve Jobs' greatest revenge on the folks running rumor sites and that this information was seeded to unreliable insiders who then blabbed.

*** Skeptics Can't Believe Apple Is Giving IBM The Boot
<http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/06/03.html#a10320>
Robert Scoble, Scobleizer

This is a real story, and I've gotten confirmation from people who know. I can't say more, though, cause I don't want Apple to sue me to find out my sources.

*** Apple On Intel?
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/06/intelspeculation/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

If I had to guess, I'd join several of the pundits out there in saying that any new Apple-Intel relationship is more likely about a new technology or new piece of hardware, and not about a wholesale abandonment of the PowerPC chips.

[Review]

*** Jammin' Racer
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=580>
Ryan Fritsch, Inside Mac Games

Jammin' Racer is an excellent product with great graphics, phenomenal control, pleasing music and sound effects, and lots of intense, raw speed.

*** Everything You Wanted To Know About Safari RSS, Part 2
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/06/03/safari_rss.html>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

In this article, F.J. focuses on viewing and customizing your news feeds in Safari RSS.

*** Tinkering With Tiger
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/06/tigerfixes/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Evil Thoughts
Heng-Cheong Leong

Intel has been making denials <http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=855BE440-D4B2-47DD-98AF-C4131AB606D8> about the DRM system embedded in the latest Pentium D processor.

Now, what if Intel is not confirming the DRM not because it isn't there, or it wanted security through obscurity, but because Steve Jobs told Intel not to say anything?

:-)

*** One More Thing...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Intel Inside <http://www.flickr.com/photos/76824761@N00/17500380/> the Apple.

*** Don't Feel Like Shelling Out Money For QuickTime Pro?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here's <http://www.intarweb-master.com/index.php/2005/06/04/quicktime-full-screen-widget/> how you can play full-screen movies with a Dashboard widget...

*** Tidbits From The Blogs
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here' how you can check your battery life <http://www.intarweb-master.com/index.php/2005/06/04/check-your-battery-life-via-terminal/>.

*** User-Interface Designers Take Note
Heng-Cheong Leong

Spencer Critchley <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7189> is going to travel with a hammer from now on. Watch Out!

*** Silicon Valley Goes To Washington
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-techlobby5jun05,1,228987.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Jonathan Peterson, Los Angeles Times

A free-trade accord with Central America is the latest priority for a sector that once steered clear of Capitol Hill.

*** If You Can Make It In Silicon Valley, You Can Make It... In Silicon Valley Again
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/magazine/05RATPACK.html?ex=1275624000&en=3ddc4bcb43fb7518&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Gary Rivlin, New York Times

The miracle of Silicon Valley is that it is a system finely calibrated to spit out new companies -- some of which have come to be worth hundreds of millions, if not billions, within a few years' time.

*** Revenge Of The Amateurs
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-neil23jun05,1,7359938.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Dan Neil, Los Angeles Times

If a handful of overachieving basement dwellers armed with a consumer-qualty digital camera and some inexpensive 3D animation and video-editing programs can produce such a finely lacquered bit of sci-fi cinema, what precisely do we need Hollywood for?

*** Not So Star-Struck
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/06/05/not_so_star_struck/>
Janice Page, Boston Globe

We're a little funny when it comes to giving people the star treatment here. Chefs and newscasters, jocks and furniture salesmen, professors and pols -- these are our biggest celebrities. Is something wrong with us? Maybe we're the only ones getting it right in these celebrity-obsessed times.

*** The Woman Who Went To The Front Of The Mosque
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060401646.html>
Teresa Wiltz, Washington Post

Feminist faces ostracism -- or worse -- for praying among men.

*** Question Authorities
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.06/start.html?pg=3>
Gary Wolf, Wired

Why it's smart to disobey officials in emergencies.

*** Singapore PM Warns Against Pre-Emptive Strike On North Korea
<http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2005/06/05/afx2077099.html>
AFX

*** Singapore Cable Car Service Shut Down Temporarily
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/151090/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore Cable Car Service said on Saturday that there were "inconsistencies" in one of the cables during a recent maintenance check.

*** Singapore PM: Containing China Is Short-Sighted
<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-06/05/content_3045968.htm>
Xinhua Net

"A strategy of confronting China will incur its enmity without seriously blocking its growth, while any attempt to contain China will have few takers in the (Asian) region."

[Opinion]

*** Storytelling At The MRT -- READ! Singapore
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2005/06/storytelling-at-mrt-read-singapore.html>
Rambling Librarian

*** The Life Of A Lesbian In Singapore Vs. Australia
<http://www.kiss-.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_kiss-_archive.html#111767441586781732>
Hold Me, Thrill Me. K i ss Me. Kill me.

*** A Eureka Moment
<http://garotaipanema.blogspot.com/2005/06/eureka-moment.html>
Garota

[Entertainment]

*** A Singapore Fling
<http://www.cherwell.org/?id=3283>
Katherine John, Cherwell Online

Singapore is like a European city transposed to Asia, gaining on the way a better sense of cleanliness, a slick public transport system and a beneficial distance from America.