[MyAppleMenu] Jun 4, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 4 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Dual-Core PowerPC G5s Due For Apple
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1823273,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John G. Spooner, eWeek

The company will pack a forthcoming dual-core PowerPC 970 processor into future Mac desktop and even notebooks, analysts predict.

*** Digital Neural Axis: Evolutionary Leap
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/dna/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

"We realized that we were going to need a very smooth pipeline to handle this much work."

*** Catherine Margerin: A Little Bit Of Hope
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/margerin/>
J. Russell Kliegel, Apple

"Final Cut Pro HD made it very easy to create an offline project by capturing and compressing the footage on the fly, using the offline photo-jpeg codec."

*** The State Of Mac OS X Security
<http://comment.silicon.com/0,39024711,39130941,00.htm>
Seb Janacek, Silicon.com

The security experts tend to agree that Mac security is solid, but social engineering has a key role in whether OS X remains secure.

*** Apple Shares Dip On iPod Sales Reports
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=817183>
Associated Press

Shares of Apple slid nearly 5 percent Friday following reports that sales of its iPod digital music player appear to be slowing.

*** Apple Announces Free iPod Recycling Program
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/06/03/ipod-recycling/>
MacMinute

Those who drop off an iPod, iPod mini or iPod photo will receive a 10 percent discount on the purchase of a new iPod that day.

*** Apple Offers New HomePage Templates
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/06/03/homepage-templates/>
MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** Fat Shuffles: Is More Better?
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/06/fatshuffles/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

It seems to me that a 4GB music player cries out for navigation controls more extensive than Next and Previous Track.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: It's Here! It's Finally Here!
Heng-Cheong Leong

For those who are still holding out from buying a Macintosh laptop, it's finally here (if you can believe today's rumor): Powerbook G5 <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops-pcs/apple/powerbook-g5-next-tuesday-106453.php>.

Prices start at $1,699.

*** Foldover
Heng-Cheong Leong

The Grilled Chicken Foldover <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylittlerascal/17235777/> is my current favorite McDonald's food right now, although what you see <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylittlerascal/17235776/> is not that great.

[World]

*** Democratic Cuba
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2120231/fr/rss/>
Jacob Weisberg, Slate

How serious is President Bush about this spreading-democracy business?

*** Lies, Guts & Deep Throat
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050620&s=greider>
William Greider, The Nation

Quaint as it seems, this is called courage. It's not surprising that contemporary Washington wishes to devalue it.

[Life]

*** The Arts Matter -- And So Does Drawing Crowds
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/02/DDG61D1F6O1.DTL>
Steven Winn, San Francisco Chronicle

"Crisis" may be too easy a word to throw around, when it comes to the perennially dicey business of arts funding, but things are at a pretty bad pass now.

*** Singapore Says Sea Attack Threat Real, Seeks Help
<http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=891610&C=asiapac>
Reuters

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on June 3 that a vital sea lane in Southeast Asia remained under threat from terror attacks and sought security support from countries outside the region.

*** Singapore's Temasek Eyes Malaysia Energy Sector
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3302186a6026,00.html>
New Zealand Stuff

Singapore state investment agency Temasek is scouting Malaysia for investment opportunities in the energy sector, as the two neighbors drive for closer collaboration, including possible cross-border electricity sales.

[Opinion]

*** Ease The Rules And Watch Them Grow
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/54293.asp>
Haslinda Shamsudin, Today

The current sad state of affairs for the mobile food vans is a good example of how stifling rules and regulations governing our business entities can cause a business to fold up and kill entrepreneurship.

*** SMU - Open Campus?
<http://breaking-rules.blogspot.com/2005/06/smu-open-campus.html>
Breaking Rules