[MyAppleMenu] Jun 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 6 13:15:06 EDT 2005

[Top Stories]

*** Developers Sound Off As Apple's WWDC Nears
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1823822,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

As Apple's 2005 Worldwide Developer Conference approaches, four developers spoke with eWEEK.com and expressed both enthusiasm and concerns about the development tools, user interface and APIs tied to Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) operating system.

[News]

*** FileMaker Announces Widgets, Automator Actions
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/filemaker_announces_widgets_automator_actions/>
Macsimum

*** .Mac Down During Jobs' WWDC Speech
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11760>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Maintenance is scheduled to begin at 10am (PST) today, around the same time as Apple CEO Steve Jobs climbs the stage at the Moscone Centre.

*** Outsourcing Apple Is 'Symbol Of US Industry'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11754>
Macworld UK

US policymakers are looking to Apple as a "symbol of US industry" thanks to the success of the iPod, but is Apple's a good example to copy in the light of a collapse in the US manufacturing employment market.

*** Apple Plans To Switch From I.B.M. To Intel For Chips
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/technology/06apple.html?ei=5088&en=3fa62e7f37e44e02&ex=1275710400&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1118012549-4KJMbf2dFewfrO85nxA50Q>
John Markoff and Steve Lohr, New York Times

"Apple is not so important a customer [to IBM] that you would take the financial hit to hold onto the relationship."

[Opinion]

*** The Tech Industry Is Quaking And We're All Trying To Figure Out What It Means
<http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/06/06.html#a10325>
Robert Scoble, Scobleizer

Think about how such a large decision needs to ripple through every part of an organization.

[Sidetrack]

*** Personally...
Heng-Cheong Leong

I don't understand why Intel can build a better PowerPC chip than IBM, and I don't understand why Pentium chips are worth all the trouble. But if Apple decides on any of these, I'd expect my reality to be explained by Steve tonight.

*** So, Will Anyone Get Fired Going With Intel?
Heng-Cheong Leong

The Unofficial Apple Weblog <http://www.tuaw.com/2005/06/05/wwdc-rumor-roundup-apple-moving-to-intel/> has a nice list of the blogosphere's reaction.

Oh, and, hey! James Zellmer <http://www.zmetro.com/archives/002364.php> is having the same evil DRM <http://www.myapplemenu.com/2005/06/05/#20050605bg000002> thoughts as me. :--)

*** Warning: Out-Of-Topic Geek Stuff
Heng-Cheong Leong

Hey! I didn't even know that there is even an HTML dialog feature <http://archive.scripting.com/2005/06/05#When:1:44:43PM> in Frontier. :-)

*** Get Ready For The 9-To-5 Notebook
<http://news.com.com/Get+ready+for+the+9-to-5+notebook/2100-1044_3-5731373.html?part=rss&tag=5731373&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

The magic number for notebook designers in the near future just might be eight -- as in the hours of a full workday.

[World]

*** A Long Shadow
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8101507/site/newsweek/>
Evan Thomas, Newsweek

Understanding Deep Throat: Why a source took on a president then, and how Nixon's fall shapes us even now.

[Life]

*** Turbulence
<http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/articles/050613sh_shouts>
David Sedaris, New Yorker

When it's time to change your seat.

*** When You Wish Upon TV
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1069089,00.html>
James Poniewozik, Time

Need surgery? Can't afford college? House too small? If you've got a sad story, the networks would love to help.

*** The Season Of Second Chances
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/arts/television/05stan.html?8hpib>
Alessandra Stanley, New York Times

Summer reruns, like forest fires, are a clamity with a good side -- nature's way of balancing the ecosystem of television.

[Expressions]

*** An Ex-Mas Feast
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/050613fi_fiction1>
Uwem Akpan, New Yorker

*** Agencies Want 4 Days Off A Month For Maids
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/54476.asp>
Wong Fei Wan, Today

Proposal aims to improve working conditions in Singapore.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]