[MyAppleMenu] Aug 7, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 7 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Playing On Emotion
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0508060063aug06,1,3737537.story?coll=chi-business-hed>
Alex Pham, Chicago Tribune

As a given technology saturates the market, traditionally geeky manufacturers work to evoke feelings, including joy, desire, comfort and nostalgia.

*** Will Podcasts Kill The Radio Ads?
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1723795,00.html>
Paul Durman, The Times

Advertisers fear their messages may get edited out by the growing band of iPod listeners.

*** Apple Store -- Glass Staircases
<http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/glass_staircase.html>
ifo Apple Store

The staircases were designed by strctural engineer James O'Callaghan. As simple as the staircases appear to store visitors, an enormous amount of engineering and research went into their design.

[Opinion]

*** Trusted
<http://daringfireball.net/2005/08/trusted>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Doctorow is clearly ascribing deviousness onto Apple, without a single shred of evidence to back it up.

*** Now, if My Software Only Had A Brain...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/business/yourmoney/07techno.html?ex=1281067200&en=acbef803ca2c361d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
James Fallows, New York Times

This is one more chapter in a continuing story: the quest for intelligent software.

[World]

*** An Anniversary To Forget
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/opinion/07ito.html?ex=1281067200&en=e6b897762b09f727&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joichi Ito, New York Times

For my generation, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and the war in general now represent the equivalent of a cultural "game over" or "reset" button.

[Life]

*** The Workhorse Of Higher Education
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/06/AR2005080600414.html>
Jay Mathews, Washington Post

How many millions of people have changed their lives by attending community colleges? How many adults with jobs and families have managed to acquire new skills by taking night classes at what we used to call the local junior college? How many underachievers have earned a degree by starting at a community college and then transferring to a four-year school?

*** Chaos Theory
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/magazine/07FOODL.html>
Dan Barber, New York Times

If you can't take the chaos, get out of the kitchen.

*** Post-Popism
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/magazine/WLN103810.html?>
A. O. Scott, New York Times

In the future, we may be complaining about those annoying movies that get in the way of the ads we paid good money to see.

*** We Know What Is Good And You Don't
<http://cakapayam.blogspot.com/2005/08/we-know-what-is-good-and-you-dont.html>
cakapayam

Boy, isn't that a dangerous thought?