[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 8 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Radio Just Got A Lot More Portable
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/12325147.htm>
Tony Hicks, Contra Costa Times

The entertainment technology learning curve is again steepening, with the advent of podcasting, the latest innovation in the ever-changing landscape of do-it-yourself media.

*** Apple Buys NZ Domain As Download Wars Begins
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/breaking/apple-buys-nz-domain-as-download-wars-begin/2005/08/08/1123353237105.html>
Reuben Schwarz, The Age

Apple has mvoed a step closer to launching its long-awaited iTunes online music store in New Zealand, taking over the itunes.co.nz domain name from a Dunedin businessman who first registered the web address.

*** Apple Sells 1 Million Songs IN Four Days In Japan
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/07/itunesjapan/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

It only took Apple four days to dominate the lucrative Japanese music market as the company announced on Sunday that it had already sold more than 1 million songs on the iTunes Music Store Japan.

[Opinion]

*** iPod A Hit Because It Is Bron Out Of A Big Idea
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050808_333262.html>
Subodh Deshpande, Straits Times

The game is not just about creating the next big digital thing, because that can be easily replicated, but creating the next big value or idea.

[Sidetrack]

*** Put Me On Hold, Please
Heng-Cheong Leong

John Sinkevics, of The Grand Rapids Press, has, apparently, too much free time. So he is doing us all a favor by finding out which company has some of the better on-hold music. And Apple made the list. :-)

"Call the Apple Store at Woodland Mall, not surprisingly, and you'll hear catchy modern rock songs that can be downloaded via iTunes."

*** Google's PR Hissy Fit
<http://bayosphere.com/blog/dangillmor/080705/google>
Dan Gillmor, Bayosphere

Google's response only shows that it needs more adult supervision.

*** Gimmicky Magazine Inserts Aim To Grab Page Flippers
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112346384833807207-XFCvTjZIi3u8qxtcjDr5Bt1sIkI_20060808,00.html?mod=rss_free>
Brian Steinberg, Wall Street Journal

Readers have long been able to shun magazine ads by simply turning the pages. But advertisers are seeking more ways to command busy consumers' attention in the digital age.

*** Red, White, And Blueberry
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/050815/15ender.htm>
Joan Nathan, U.S. News

In researching my latest cookbook on American food, I have traveled the country, seeking the answer. I have found a cuisine in a perpetual state of flux, marked by a collaborative spirit that's been around for centuries.

*** In Praise Of Chop Suey
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/050815/15chinese.htm>
Nancy Shute, U.S. News

When the first Chinese restaurant opened in 1849 in San Francisco, no doubt owner Norman Asing hadn't a clue about the trend he was launching.

*** Black Day For THe Blue Pencil
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,6000,1543308,00.html>
Blake Morrison, The Guardian

A culture that doesn't care about editing is a culture that doesn't care about writing. And that has to be bad.

*** Peter Jennings, Urbane News Anchor, Dies At 67
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/08/business/media/08jennings_obit.html?hp&ex=1123560000&en=02a097e623baae4d&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Jacques Steinberg, New York Times

For more than two decades, the magnitude of a news event could be measured, at least in part, by whether Mr Jennings and his counterparts on the other two networks showed up on the scene.

*** The Amazing Racer
<http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel/bee/story/13364035p-14205701c.html>
Reed Parsell, Sacramento Bee

Practicing for a shot at reality TV means rediscovering public transit.

[EOF]

*** Mum Was RIght. You Will Feel A Whole Lot Better After A Cuddle
<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article304281.ece>
Roger Dobson, Independent

Scientists have confirmed the wisdom of mothers down the ages -- a real hug does you good.

[Ramblings]

*** Work With Us, Says Government, To Make Singapore Safe
Heng-Cheong Leong

Singaporeans must work with the government to keep the country safe, says Tony Tan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/162015/1/.html>.

Great. But how about Singaporeans having a say on what kind of security is appropriate and what are the risks we are willing to take?

Do we want big tall fences on our islands? Do we want to be searched in MRT stations? Do we want no predictability on how much time we need to schedule in order to clear the customs at our borders?

[News]

*** Singapore's Unemployment Rate Rises
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8BREM3G0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
Associated Press

Singapore's jobless rate rose to 3.4 percent in the second quarter, the government said Monday, as the city-state's job-hunting graduates joined its unemployment ranks.

*** Kuan Joined JTC To Boost Chances
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050808_333275.html>
Li Xueying, Straits Times

Andrew Kuan joined JTC Corporation as its group chief financial officer in June 2001, in a calculated move to boost his chances.

*** Singaporeans Must Work With Government To Keep Country Safe: DPM Tan
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/162015/1/.html>
Hasnita A. Majid, Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans have to work with the government to keep Singapore safe and secure. Deputy Prime Minister Tony Tan said although the government was taking all the necessary measures to safeguard Singapore, Singaporeans could not leave it to the government to protect the country.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Bags Top Prize In Cooking Contest At Chinese Food Festival
<http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/Society/2005/08/08/1123465714.htm>
Taiwan News

After cooking seven Chinese dishes in four hours, a Singapore culinary team defeated Taiwan's team to win the World Culinary Contest at the 2005 Taipei Chinese Food Festival yesterday.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]