[MyAppleMenu] Aug 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 6 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Nominet Wins iTunes Domain Decision
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25191>
Tamlin Magee, The Inquirer

*** Cisco Views Apple As Potential Partner
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/cisco_views_apple_as_potential_partner/>
Macsimum

*** Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Coming To Mac
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/08/05/rollercoaster/>
MacMinute

*** Labels May Force 2006 iTunes Price Hike
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12279>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Real Disputes Apple's Rolling Stones Catalogue Claims
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12275>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Rhapsody does not presently offer the new tracks, meaning Apple has the most extensive catalgue, available for purchase and download in twenty countries.

*** Keane: The Power Of Three
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/keane/>
Bronwyn Jones, Apple

"Applying the capabilities of a program like Logic to more classic band sounds is a blend that opens up a world of possibilities that I feel I've just barely scratched the surface of."

*** Profiles In Success: Lab Of Ornithology's Macaulay Library, Cornell University: Bird Archive Takes Wing With Apple
<http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/cornell/>
Apple

Thanks to the reliability and scalability of the Apple solution, the creativity of researchers, educators, and filmmakers is free to take flight.

[Opinion]

*** The Open Apple Question
<http://michael-mccracken.net/blog/blosxom.pl/computers/mac/OpenAppleQ.html>
Michael McCracken

Why not open source some user-level software? Turn some significant piece of the software that ships free with OS X into an open source project.

*** My iPod Baby
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/technology/poguesposts/05POGUES-POSTS.html?ex=1280980800&en=1e9ab8370c489d5a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

OK, have you ever, ever seen anything this cute?

[Review]

*** Digital Photography Hack: A Hands-Free Shooting Rig
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/05/photography.html>
Romain Guy, O'Reilly Network

This rig allows you to take photographs by saing "Take shot" into the microphone of a Bluetooth headset. The picture itself is taken by an iSight fixed on my shoulder.

*** Apple Mighty Mouse
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/08/reviews/mightymouse/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jennifer Berger, Macworld

The Might Mouse's $49 price seems a bit much for such a simple little item.

*** Sucking Websites
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/08/suckwebsite/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft: Virus Won't Be In Vista
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Virus+target+wont+be+in+Vista/2100-1002_3-5820706.html?part=rss&tag=5820706&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

A new scripting tool targeted by a virus writer will not be part of Windows Vista, the next Windows client release, Microsoft announced Friday.

*** The New Threat To Hollywood: Darknets
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/12306819.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Dawn C. Chmielewski, San Jose Mercury News

*** Notebook Prices Breaking The $500 Barrier
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/04/HNnotebookprices_1.html>
Tom Krazit, IDG News Service

Bargain hunters out and about U.S. retail stores are having no trouble finding inexpeensive notebooks for sale, as PC vendors are aggressively promoting notebooks for under $500 in August, according to research released this week from Current nalaysis.

*** New For Back-To-School: 'Clickers'
<http://news.com.com/New+for+back-to-school+clickers/2100-1041_3-5819171.html?part=rss&tag=5819171&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Students used the handheld gadgets, which look and work a lot like TV remote controls, to respond to classroom polls and quizzes without ever raising their hands or voices.

*** Poking Fun
<http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4246393>
The Economist

Why people laugh.

*** Why I Don't Trust Readers
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2124083/fr/rss/>
Jack Shafer, Slate

I've had it with all you unreliable, inconsistent, and detestable blockheads. I've given you every posible chance and you've failed me miserably. Tonight I'm ordering a custom bumper-sticker that reads, "I Don't Trust the Mainstream Media Audience."

*** Singapore's Air Hub Status Under Threat, Official Warns
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050805/ts_afp/singaporeairaerospace_050805062650;_ylt=Ak1AM9an_.ME3Lnh6xFnRE6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGI2aDNqBHNlYwM3NDk->
AFP

Singapore's status as one of Asia's main air hubs is threatened by the emergence of larger long-range aircraft and the upgrading of rival airports in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Dubai, a senior official said.