[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 4 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, October 4, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Apple, Mobiles And 3G
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9792&Page=1&pagePos=5>
by Macworld UK
Apple's gentle push toward the mobile market continues, as wireless carriers Verizon and SmarTone adopt QuickTime.

[News]

*** iPod Adapterc Can Be Installed In Vehicles
<http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/business/technology/9831073.htm>
by Bradenton Herald
Bad news: You no longer have an excuse to buy a BMW so you can listen to your iPod on the road.

*** Incase Charger Keeps Your iPod Juiced At Hoem Or In Your VW
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/7424422665576399/>
by Engadget

*** Alleged Apple Flash iPod 'Partner' Signs With Rio
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/04/flash_ipod_rumoured/>
by Tony Smith, The Register
Hopes that Apple may be preparing a Flash-based iPod appeared to be dashed on Friday when the company's alleged MP3 chip partner announced a deal with Aple portable player rival Rio.

*** Check In And Chill Out:iPods At High-End Hotels
<http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-09-30-ipod_x.htm>
by Kitty Bean Yancey, USA Today
Music by request is the latest guest freebie at upscale hotels.

[Review]

*** To The Patio And Beyond: Speakers WIthout Wires
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/technology/circuits/30stat.html?ex=1254628800&#38;en=83a2a72fc52d1eb7&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by David Pogue, New York Times
It's important to understand that no wireless speakers can match the sound quality of a wired spekaer at similar price and size. The Acoustic Research set, however, comes very close.

*** Tracking Your Tunes
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/10/tunestracker/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
TunesTracker is a free service that automatically emails you when new releases from preferred artists hit the shelves of the iTunes Music Store.

*** Easy Emulator Allows Mac Purchase Instead Of Windows Shopping
<http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=47250>
by Eric Convey, Boston Herald
Virtual PC is still a great asset to someone who wants to enjoy the many benefits of a Mac but retain access to powerful business applications and Windows-only servers.

[Sidetrack]

*** Too Much Real Is Not Good For Your TV
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/04/#20041004bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Every weekend, I like to switch on my television, sit back, relax, and watch Jon Steward<http://www.cnn.com/CNNI/Programs/daily.show/index.html> on CNN. (Didn't you know that CNN International broadcast a highlight reel of the Daily Show weekly outside of U.S.? They have to run a disclaimer before the show that states that this is not a news show.)

Unfortunately, every time I watch this program, I have this nagging feeling that the television is going to freeze any moment, and the irrating message "Buffering..." is going to scroll across the bottom of the screen.

Yes, I have been watching clips of the Daily Show on the web via RealPlayer, and I have been tortured too much by it. :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Meeting Site Stands Nearly Alone
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/04/business/04ecom.html?oref=login&ex=1254542400&#38;en=ca384c2ac5709c2c&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Bob Tedeschi, New York Times
In nearly every Internet category imaginable, successful sites have triggered copycats, sometimes by the dozens. But Meetup, which has helped more than 30,000 groups, remains virtually without competition.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** How The White House Embraced Disputed Arms Intelligence
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/international/middleeast/03tube.html?ei=1&en=c8b1d940a7b425cc&ex=1097746395&pagewanted=all&position=?NYT_REG_SYSTEM_IS_A_POX_ON_DECENCY>
by David Barstow, William J. Broad and Jeff Gerth, New York Times
The White House embraced the theory that aluminum tubes bound for Iraq were for uclear centrifuges despite contrary views from America's leading nuclear scientists.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Smell Of A Pre-War Countdown
<http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/opinion/200410/kt2004100318574054240.htm>
by Tom Plate, Korea Times
Say whatever you want about Singapore -- make all the caning and chewing-gum jokes you want. But one thing you can't say is that it's a stupid country. And stupid is quite far from the first word that comes to mind when you think about a brain like George Yeo.

*** A Boost For Diplomacy
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/10/4/nation/9040652&sec=nation>
by Paul Gabriel, The Star
The fresh start to diplomatic relations with Singapore enters its "second phase" with Lee Hsien Loong's maiden trip to Malaysia as Prime Minister.

[News]

*** New PMs Of Malaysia And Singapore To Meet For The First Time
<http://www.abc.net.au/ra/newstories/RANewsStories_1212660.htm>
by ABC Radio
During the meeting, Singapore's Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysia's Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, are expected to sign a revised double taxation agreement between the two nations.

*** WP Chief: Why Was Help Plan Not Publicised Earlier?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,275992,00.html?>
by Straits Times
"Even if SingPower deemed that as an elected Member of Parliament for Hougang, who regularly receives requests for help from residents, I am not in the best position to disburse the vouchers, I should at least be informed of the availability of hte scheme... I can then refer those in need of help to the people administering the scheme."

[Opinion]

*** Singapore's Speech Ran Counter To Basic Rights
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2004/10/04/2003205529>
by Taiwan Association Of University Professors, Taipei Times
[Yeo's] statements only serve to further encourage aggressive powers to violate human rights with military force.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.