[MyAppleMenu] Oct 3, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 3 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, October 3, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** iChat AV For Jaguar Official EOL'd
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1400620184127152/>
by Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog
If you were still waiting for a good reason to upgrade your OS -- this is a pretty good one.

*** iPod Wins 'Gold' In Japan's 'Good Design Awards'
<http://www.macnn.com/news/26481>
by MacNN

[Opinion]

*** Stand Up, Maui Queen
<http://www.yourmaclife.com/article.php?story=20041002010126281>
by Shawn King, Your Mac Life
Sometimes, organizations make mistakes that seem completely innocent -- until... they try and cover it up.

[Review]

*** New iMac Looks Good, Works Even Better
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/gizmos/story/0,4386,275849,00.html>
by Yeong Ah Seng, Straits Times
Whether it's used for serious applications or just plain Web surfing, the iMac does the job efficiently and well.

*** Mac OS X For The Traveler, Part 5
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/10/01/traveller.html>
by Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network
In this final installment, F.J. shares some of his most clever tips for surviving on the road.

*** Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/G5/G5-1.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica
The machine runs quietly, is stable, and fasat. The elegant, brushed aluminum design makes the machine a showpiece as opposed to something to be hidden under the desk.

*** iMac G5
<http://www.macintouch.com/imacg5/review.html>
by MacInTouch
The iMac offers a surprising amount of punch with very few limitations.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Layoffs Hits FileMaker Development Team
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/03/#20041003bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Think Secret<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0409fmilayoffs.html>: Insiders suggest that up to 13 develoeprs, or one-third of FileMaker's development team, were axed in recent weeks.

[Wintel]

*** Gates Undaunted By Linux
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/01/HNgatestalksmuseum_1.html>
by Paul Krill, Infoworld

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** The Tomorrow That Never Was
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/10/wo_jenkins100104.asp?trk=top>
by Henry Jenkins, MIT Technology Review
Are we living at a moment when yesterday's ideas about the future are more attractive than our own?

*** Before Applying, Check Out The Blogs
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/jobs/03BLOG.html?oref=login&ex=1254542400&>
by Eilene Zimmerman, New York Times
There is no conclusive data on the spread of blogs to the job market, laregly because they are difficult to track. But based on anecdotal information, people are using blogs on both sides of the job search process.

*** Scan This Book
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/01/40secadvise_1.html>
by P.J. Connolly, Infoworld
Sometimes I wonder whether people stay up at nights thinking about conspiracy theories involving RFID, black helicopters, and the FBI.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** A Virtuoso And His Technology
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/technology/circuits/30yoyo.html?ex=1254542400&#38;en=6a3e0f434f62ba7f&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
by Seth Schiesel, New York Times
Yo-Yo Ma has found technology an ally, not only in making music but in imagining its audience, too.

[Life]

*** Life Without Miramax?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/magazine/03ESSAY.html>
by A.O. Scott, New York Times
Because of Miramax, which took chances on challenging pictures and maverick directors, independent film is thriving. Because of Miramax, which ran roughshod over the artists it claimed to nurture, independent film is dead. In the wake of recent layoffs, however, the more pressing matter is whether Miramax itself will survive.

*** The Industry Standard
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/magazine/03NONESUCH.html>
by Russell Shorto, New York Times
How Nonesuch Records became hte label for a moment when new music is hard to label.

*** The Stuff Of City Life
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/magazine/03WWLN.html>
by James Traub, New York Times
Museums are where New Yorkers have always gone to escape the speeded-up and ephemeral. But for how much longer?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Singapore Issues Stern Warning To Taiwan
<http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/03/content_379589.htm>
by China Daily
Singaporean Foreign Ministry has issued a statement warning Taiwan authorities must not belittle Singapore, and avoid using "vulgar words" to hurt others.

[Opinion]

*** An Open Letter To Singapore
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2004/10/03/2003205386>
by Rao Kok-sia, Taipei Times
I do not understand how you in Singapore can forget your own struggle to break away from Malaysia.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.