[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 5 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, October 5, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Barred From The Apple Sotre
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,65200,00.html?tw=wn_1culthead>
by Leander Kahney, Wired News
Last week, Apple barred Bare Feats' webmaster Robert Morgan from using the Mac at his local Apple Store as a performance test lab -- right after Morgan published tests results for the iMac G5 that contradict Apple's claims for the machine.

*** Windows Desktop Strnaglehold Slipping
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,10947082%5E15423%5E%5Enbv%5E15309,00.html>
by David Frith, The Australian
There are a few straws blowing in an increasingly strong wind for Apple.

[News]

*** Movie Magic Touches Students
<http://education.guardian.co.uk/elearning/story/0,10577,1314012,00.html>
by Jerome Monahan, The Guardian
Pupils are no longer dragging their heels to traditionally 'boring' lessons like maths and French thanks to an inventive teacher who uses digital video to boost the appeal of unpopular subjects.

*** Jobs Back To Work As Apple Chief Executive
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/9839246.htm?1c>
by Dawn C. Chmielewski, San Jose Mercury News
Employees and others who have had dealings with Jobs since his return say he never acknowledges his illness or recovery. He is the same old Steve and just as intensely driven as before.

*** Apple Store Offers Price Matching Policy
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/05/applestore/>
by MacMinute
Apple's online store is offering a price matching policy for new purchases.

*** Microsoft Releases Virtual PC 7
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/04/virtualpc/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral
Among the many new features, Microsoft executives boast about a 10 percent to 30 percent increase in performance and support for Apple's Power Mac G5.

*** The Newton O.S. Creeps Toward New Hardware
<http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/05/0023212&tid=180&tid=100&tid=190&tid=3>
by Slashdot
There is real hope for an emulator.

*** Laptops Joins Lists Of School Supplies
<http://www.columbiatribune.com/2004/Oct/20041004News004.asp>
by Nate Carlisle, Columbia Tribune
Mid-Missouri colleges and universities are encouraging or requiring more students to purchase laptops, which educators say provide students with versatility and instructional benefits.

*** Ballmer: iPods Packed With Stolen Tunes
<http://news.com.com/Ballmer%3A+iPods+packed+with+stolen+tunes/2100-1027_3-5395870.html?part=rss&tag=5395870&subj=news.1027.20>
by Andy McCue, CNET News.com
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, speaking to a gathering of reporters in London, didn't pass up the opportunity to take several digs at archrival Apple.

*** RealPlayer 10 Beta, RealOne Player For Mac OS X Affected By Security Issue
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=200410040711520>
by MacFixIt
In the case of Mac OS X, users are vulnerable if they play a local Real media file in either Real Player 10 Beta or RealOne Player. RealNetworks has since released a patch for this vulnerability.

*** iPod To Drive Apple's Market Share Higher
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/10/04/1004automarketscan01.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=>
by Forbes
Piper Jaffray maintained an "outperform" rating and $40 target price on Apple, saying a 0.5% increase in market share "is not unrealistic" for the computer company if the current acceleration in interest and demand for its products continue.

*** Microsoft CEO Ballmer On The Digital Home: "There Is No Way That You Can Get There With Apple'
<http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3569_0_1_0>
by MacDailyNews
Worried about something, Mr. Ballmer?

*** Eric Meyer: Turning The Tables Using CSS
<http://www.apple.com/pro/words/meyer/>
by Nancy Eaton, Apple
"I'm so much mor eproductive on a Mac that it's almost silly."

*** Apple Help For iMac G5 Owners
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9788>
by Macworld UK
Apple is offering a Web-based troubleshooting assistant for owners of iMac G5s.

*** Florida Apple Reseller Closes Doors
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/04/macstore/>
by MacMinute
"The slow economy, the three hurricanes, the break-ins, lack of G5s and iMacs for many months, are some of the elements that played against us."

*** Pepsi Canada To Give Away 2,016 iPods
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/04/pepsi/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Apple's iTunes Music Store still isn't available in Canada, but iPods are -- and now Pepsi drinkers can try to win a free iPod.

*** Apple Releases Security Update 2004-09-30
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/04/securityupdate/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Brad Cook and Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Apple fixes two AFP Server and CUPS issues as well as problems with NetInfoManager, postfix and the ServerAdmin component in Mac OS X Server v10.2.8 and v10.3.5.

[Opinion]

*** MarsEdit User Interface Notes
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=2936>
by Brent Simmons, Inessential.com
I like writing about user interface -- I like to write about the choices we made and why we made them.

*** Steve Ballmer: Where Is Your Survey?
<http://www.lnreview.co.uk/music/004396.php>
by London News Review
We don't want your clumsy Microsoft DRM, we don't want your players, and we will listen to music the way we want to. Your control over this sort of thing is so over.

*** Ballmer: Apple The Wrong Bandwagon To Reach Digital Utopia
<http://www.internet-nexus.com/2004_10_03_archive.htm#109690984667882514>
by Paul Thurrott, Internet Nexus
Say what you will about Microsoft, but they have an end-to-end solution for digital media in the home that just doesn't exist anywhere else.

*** Microsoft Can't Out-Cool Apple
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/other/0,39020682,39168867,00.htm>
by ZDNet UK
You don't tell people you're cool. You show it. You offer it. You have to know what people want, and then give them more than they expect. Microsoft doesn't have that gene: it tells, not hears. And that won't play int he cool converged consumer space.

[Review]

*** Colour And Computers
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07840>
by Charles Maurer, TidBITS

*** ManOpen Opens Man Pages
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07839>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
ManOpen is plenty useful in its current incarnation, and I've installed it everywhere I find myself using man pages. It's a great example of how using a graphical interface can improve the Unix experience for those who prefer a graphical approach.

*** FileMaker On Track
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/04/1096870396977.html?oneclick=true>
by Adam Turner, The Age
What is compelling about FileMaker Applications is their flexibility, with the prospect of low-cost customisation.

*** Why The RadioSHARK May Change Our Lives
<http://backstage.ipodlounge.com/index.php?id=P5140>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iPodlounge
RadioSHARK is the device that Howard Stern and other talk radio fans have wanted for more than a decade, and it supports AAC format (read: iPod compatible, highly compressed) recording.

*** ToyViewer, A Cool Free Graphics Tool For OS X
<http://lowendmac.com/misc/04/1004.html>
by Charles Moore, Low End Mac

*** Deep Tinderbox
<http://www.atpm.com/10.10/atpo.shtml>
by Ted Goranson, ATPM
Tinderbox -- here's something of a polarizing application.

*** Magic Bullet Editors 1.0: Final Cut Pro Plug-In Creates Magical Film Effects
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/magicbullet/index.php>
by Robert Ellis, Macworld
Magic Bullet Editors 1.0 is the perfect tool for achieving a stylish film look or an authentic-looking "classic." Just make sure your hardware is up for some heavy lifting.

[Sidetrack]

*** A Little Knowledge Is A Dangerous (And Sometimes Stupid) Thing
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/05/#20041005bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Or, why you might want to consult someone who do know Chinese before you pick up a Chinese character tatoo<http://www.tian.cc/hanzismatter/>.

[Wintel]

*** Future Windows Component Could Spur Old-School Viruses
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/04/HNfuturewindows_1.html>
by Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
A planned component for Microsoft's next version of Windows is causing consternation among antivirus experts, who say that the new module, a scripting platform called Microsoft Shell, could give birth to a  whole new generation of viruses and remotely exploitable attacks.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** 2024 -- A Media Odyssey
<http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/articles/2004/10/05/mediaodyssey>
by Alastair Ray, Media Week
Predicting what the media landscape might be like in 2024 is fraught with difficulties.

[News]

*** Where's The Simplicity In Web Services?
<http://news.com.com/Where%27s+the+simplicity+in+Web+services%3F/2100-7345_3-5395630.html?part=rss&tag=5395630&subj=news.7345.20>
by Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com
A debate is raging over whether the number of specifications based on XML, defining everything from how to add security to where to send data, has mushroomed out of control.

*** Network TV Bigwigs Rail Against Bloggers
<http://news.com.com/Network+TV+bigwigs+rail+against+bloggers/2100-1025_3-5395911.html?part=rss&tag=5395911&subj=news.1025.20>
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com
Network news anchors are taking off their gloves as they go toe to toe with Internet bloggers.

*** Almost Here: Cellphones At 37,000 Feet
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/05/business/05road.html?oref=login&ex=1254628800&#38;en=2bdab49da0567c7b&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Joe Sharkey, New York Times
For those who need to make telephone calls in flight and don't want to sell the second car to finance them, help is on the way.

*** Tools For Power Players
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/04/1096871805560.html>
by Paul Best, Sydney Morning Herald
Today's electronic gadgets used by executives are smarter, more powerful, and more portable than ever.

*** Startup Devises New Way To Squash Worms
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1665212,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Dennis Fisher, eWeek
The solution relies on virtual machine technology to tell which messages should be blocked and which can be safely forwarded. iSolation Server opens each potentially dangerous message -- including Zip files -- on a virtual desktop and observes its behavior. Actual virus-infected e-mail messages are quarantined for cleanup or deletion.

*** Bye-Bye, Blueprint: 3D Modeling Catches On
<http://news.com.com/Bye-bye+blueprint%3A+3D+modeling+catches+on/2100-1012_3-5390945.html?part=rss&tag=5390945&subj=news.1012.20>
by David Becker, CNET News.com

[Internet]

*** Yahoo Launches Local-Search Engine
<http://news.com.com/Yahoo+launches+local-search+engine/2110-1024_3-5394882.html?part=rss&tag=5394882&subj=news.1024.20>
by Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com
Yahoo announced Monday that it's launched Yahoo Local, part of a move to give Web survers more exact and more comprehensive local-search results.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** What A Story Lice Can Tell
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/05/science/05lice.html?8hpib>
by Nicholas Wade, New York Times
A spectator with an especially intimate view of human evolution is beginning to tell its story and has so far divulged two quite unexpected findings.

[Life]

*** Art That Goes On The Blink
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-art4oct04,1,4403571.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
by Alex Pham, Los Angeles Times
When TV's burn out, videotapes age or wires fray in technology-based works, which is more important, the medium or the message?

[Expressions]

*** My Mother In Shock
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2105256/fr/rss/>
by David Baker, Slate
The sound was too low-pitched to be singingor a baby -- too far off through the woods.

*** The Scheme Of Things
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?041011fi_fiction>
by Charles D'ambrosio, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** SM Goh To Handle Negotiations With Malaysia On Outstanding Issues: PM Lee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/110103/1/.html>
by S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Mr Lee announced that his predecessor Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong will handle negotiations with Malaysia.

*** Singapore, Malaysia Sign Agreement On Avoidance Of Double Taxation
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/110131/1/.html>
by S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Both sides also say they plan to boost cooperation in tourism and transportation, and to encourage companies to jointly seek investment opportunities.

[Opinion]

*** Butt Out, Singapore
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2004/10/05/2003205662>
by Taitzer Wang, Taipei Times
Taiwan was ceded to Japan by the Qing Dynasty in 1895, which had absolutely nothing to do with the civil war between the Nationalists and Communists in China.

[Entertainment]

*** Chingay To Be 16-Day Event Next Year
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,276131,00.html?>
by Straits Times
The organiser seeks to draw more people and companies into the festivities.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.