[MyAppleMenu] Jul 27, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 27 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Cellphones, Say Hello To iTunes
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/27/technology/27music.html?ex=1248580800&>
by New York Times
Customers of iTunes will be able to transfer possibly a dozen to a few dozen songs from their PC or Mac to their Motorola phones over a cable or wireless connection.

[News]

*** REALbasic 5.5.3 Adds New Plug-In Options, More
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/27/realbasic/?lsrc=mcrss-0704>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

*** Timid Tokyoites Delay iPod Frenzy
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64352,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Nobuyuki Hayashi, Wired News
Thousands of Japanese shoppers lined up outside Apple's Tokyo store on Saturday morning for a chance to buy a coveted iPod mini -- but were delayed by a pair of camera-shy customers at the head of the line.

*** Apple Execs 'In The Money'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9259>
by Macworld UK
Apple senior vice presidents Avie Tevanian and Jon Rubinstein cased out a chunk of options last week.

*** PC Beats Mac In TV Face-Off
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9252>
by Nick Spence, Macworld UK
The Power Mac lost out in speed tests involving gaming and Photoshop filters. However Macs scored highly in ease of use.

*** Interview With Aspyr's Ted Staloch
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=303>
by Michael Phillips, Inside Mac Games
Aspyr Media is one of the Mac gaming industry's most heavy hitters.

*** Aladdin Systems Changes Name To Allume Systems
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/26/allume>
by MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** ADHOC 2004: Some Old, Some New, Continued Success
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07752>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
For those regular attendees who skipped thi syear, we missed you, but it was definitely you rloss. See you all next year, if not before!

*** What Real's Hacking Of FairPlay Doesn't Do
<http://www.corante.com/importance/archives/005301.php>
by Ernest Miller, Corante
Note what Real is not doing. You can convert Real files into FairPlay files, but you can't convert FairPlay files into Real files.

*** Getting On The Same Sheet Of Music
<http://news.com.com/Commentary%3A+Getting+on+the+same+sheet+of+music/2030-1069_3-5283947.html?part=rss&tag=5283947&subj=news.1069.20>
by Forrester Research, CNET News.com
As Apple's 70 percent market share in portable devices and downloads erodes, the iPod maker could be forced to license its format or once again see a market it created swarmed by Microsoft-compatible hardware and software.

[Review]

*** The Game Room: Take Command
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/07/reviews/augustthegameroom/>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Word Menu 2.2: Entertaining, Useful Lexicon Program Makes Good Sense
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/07/reviews/wordmenu2x2/>
by Charles Purdy, Macworld
Word Menu 2.2 is a practical investment if you work with words or if you're a crossword aficionado. It has some flaws -- which, to be fair, don't stop it from doing what it promises to do.

*** Managing Fonts With FontAgent Pro
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07753>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
FontAgent Pro is simple and easy to use.

*** Easy Mono On The Mac
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/wlg/5284>
by Russ Miles, O'Reilly Network

*** Click Wheel iPod: More Mini Than Maxi?
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/archives/2004/07/000271.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Is Apple's new click-wheel iPod really a mini with greater storage capacity and battery life or a maxi that bears a click wheel? If you look under the hood, you'll discover it's a bit of both.

*** A Weekend With The 4G iPod
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000273.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
It's definitely a step forward. And I can't tell you how great it is not to have those touch-sensitive buttons anymore.

[Sidetrack]

*** Apple Parady Fuse Ads
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/27/#20040727bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Apple is threatening to sue Fuse over these advertisements<http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/apple-parody-fuse-ads-018249.php>.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Internet]

*** Loss Of Google Sends Users Scrambling
<http://news.com.com/Loss+of+Google+sends+users+scrambling/2100-1023_3-5284130.html?part=rss&tag=5284130&subj=news.1023.20>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com
While an Internet worm hampered Google, AltaVista and Lycos, other search engines attracted surfers looking for another source of answers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Feature]

*** Boston Week
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/27/#20040727bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Welcome to the third day of Boston Week, where we explore works from Boston writers. Today, Ms Margot Livesey.

*** The Niece
<http://www.newyorker.com/printable/?fiction/030407fi_fiction>
by Margot Livesey
He had replaced five light bulbs that day, and by late afternoon he couldn't help anticipating the soft ping of the element flying apart whenever he reached for a switch. The third time -- the fixture on the landing -- the thought zigzagged across his mind that these little explosions were a sign, like the two dogs he had come across in the autumn, greyhound and bulldog, locked together on the grassy slope of the local park. He had given them a wide berth; still, he'd felt responsible on the bus the next day when a man had turned puce and slid to the floor. By the fifth light, though, he had given up on superstition and was blaming London Electricity. Some irregularity int he current, some unexpected surge, was slaughtering the bulbs.

*** The Third Servant
<http://www.webdelsol.com/Five_Points/issues/v3n1/livesey.htm>
by Margot Livvesey
In the small Dutch village of Goes where my first lover grew up, the traditional dress for women is a short sleeved blouse which reveals the biceps, polished on special occasions with red wax until they shine like apples. If there is a Mount Olympus where the gods keep house, I like to think that Mnemosyne must be polishing her biceps vigorously theses days, flashing them at such lowly beings as Aphrodite and Zeus and Pluto.

[World]

*** Free Speech Under Fire All Around The Nation
<http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-et-rutten24jul24.story>
by Tim Rutten, Los Angeles Times
At some pont over the last decade the words "I think you're wrong about that" were replaced by the dismissive "you can't say that."

[Life]

*** Why Do We Crave Continuity?
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_browndan/20040722.html>
by Dan Brown, CBC News
On the face of it, the desire for continuity seems absurd: if we're willing to accept the notion of a superhero with the powers of a human spider, then why does it matter if that superhero's costume is ripped in one shot and not in the next?

[Expressions]

*** Cape
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2104314/fr/rss/>
by Dana Goodyear, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Goh To Be 'Number-Two' In New Singapore Government
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/7/27/latest/18193Gohtobe&sec=latest>
by Associated Press
Singapore's outgoing Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong will become the "number two" in his successor's Cabinet, a government spokeswoman said Tuesday. However, it was not stated what the No. 2 post would be, nor the exact role the elder Lee would play.

[News]

*** Longest Flyover Set To Be Ready In Mid-2005
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,263584,00.html?>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Troubled contractor will be allowed to compelte second part of project, work on which had stopped for 10 months.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.