[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 26 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, July 26, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** RealNetworks Says Files Can Play On iPod
<http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/9242507.htm>
by Allison Linn, Associated Press
RealNetworks says it has created technology that allows songs purchased through its online music services to be played on Apple's iPod, just a few months after complaining that Apple was rebuffing attempts to form an alliance.

[News]

*** Channel Five Plans Mac Crash Dummies
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9246>
by Macworld UK
Mac users beware. Tonight's Gadget Show on Channel Five may disturb the sesitively disposed.

*** Some DUke Students Critical Of iPods Expense
<http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1466906p-7608514c.html>
by Jane Stancill, News And Observer
Not everyone is high-fiving the plan, which will cost Duke $500,000 combined with discounts by Apple.

*** Final Cut Users In Bid For New Features
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9243&Page=1&pagePos=7>
by Macworld UK

*** Newsweek Editor Discusses iPod In Live Chat
<http://www.macnn.com/news/25587>
by MacNN
The Newsweek's breaking iPod story was a planned early announcement, and not a leak or snafu.

[Opinion]

*** All Hail The iPhone
<http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archives/000026.php>
by Mike Davidson
If Apple doesn't capitalize on this opportunity soon, the market for iPods will dry up and they won't have a digital lifestyle leg to stand on.

*** My iTunes Music Server (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Compressed Music)
<http://www.stretta.com/%7Ematthew/resources/music_server/>
by Matthew Davidson

[Review]

*** Doing More With GarageBand (Again)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2004/20040723.shtml>
by Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus, Mac Observer
This is a tale of a couple more ways I've been using GarageBand to do things I am relatively certain it was not designed to do.

*** Initial Hands-On Report -- Apple AirPort Express Base Station
<http://www.macsonly.com/index.html#261>
by Macs Only!
AirPort Express works well for the primary purpose that we purchased ours, i.e. to create and extend Wi-Fi network.

*** You Control 1.1: Increase Productivity With 15 Menu Utilities That Access Files And Information Quickly
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=248>
by Chuck Rogers, MacHome

[Sidetrack]

*** Show Me Your Hands? No?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/26/#20040726bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
One has to be aware of the make-up of the audience present, but this story is probably one that will be circulate far and wide among the techies this week...

Danese Cooper<http://blogs.sun.com/roller/comments/DaneseCooper?anchor=what_if_mozilla_were_to1>: The presenter... [from Microsoft] looked up into the audience and said "Show of hands... How many of you use Internet Explorer?" Probably 99 times out of 100 when he asks that question allt he hands go up, right? Well, first there was a pause and then a giggle and then a whoop of laughter as the audience looked around and realized that *no one* had raised a hand.

The presenter was thrown off his mark, but he recovered and ask, "Wow! Okay how many of you wish we'd fix IE so you could use it?" *Still* no hands...

*** Visit MyAppleMenu Reader, My Other Blog
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/26/#20040726bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
All week long, we are exploring different works from Boston writers. Join us at MyAppleMenu Reader<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/> if fiction, poems, and such are your cup of tea.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[Top Stories]

*** Anybody Can Be TV: How P2P Home Video Will Challenge The Network News
<http://journal.planetwork.net/article.php?lab=pantic0704>
by Drazen Pantic, PlaNetwork Journal
To be a real-time video journalist, all you need is a blog, a camcorder, and a laptop with WiFi.

[News]

*** Less Lost In Translation
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/07/wo_hadenius072604.asp?trk=nl>
by Patric Hadenius, MIT Technology Review
Non-native English speakers attempting to express themselves in the global language of business and science get a software assist from Microsoft's Beijing lab.

*** The Empire Blogs Back
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64332,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Ryan Singel, Wired News
The promise of blogs, wikis and social networks to upend business as usual was on display at a high-powered conference Friday, when blogging software company Six Apart and evangelists from Microsoft co-chaired a panel detailing how these tools lead to better customer relationships.

*** Put A Trainer In Your Pocket
<http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,64338,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Reuters
For decades, joggers have toted portable radios to avoid boredom. Now, between choruses of a digital recording of Paul McCartney's "Band on the Run," the MP3RUN, developed by Nike and Philips Electronics, can report the distance run and the pace through the wearer's headphones.

*** Busineses Help Organize Photos
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/26/business/26ecom.html?ex=1248580800&#38;en=a74314e538522458&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Bob Tedeschi, New York Times
As digital cameras continue their sales boom, Web sites have found an increasingly attractive business helping consumers share their photos with friends and family.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Feature]

*** Boston Week
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/26/#20040726bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
It's "Boston Week" all week long here at MyAppleMenu Reader, as we explore the works of some of the best Boston writers.

Today, two poems from Mr Robert Lowell. Enjoy.

*** To Speak Of Woe That Is In Marriage
<http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?45442B7C000C07050C70>
by Robert Lowell

*** For The Union Dead
<http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?45442B7C000C07050C72>
by Robert Lowell
The old South Boston Aquarium stands.in a Sahara of snow now. Its broken windows are boarded.The bronze weathervane cod has lost half its scales.The airy tanks are dry.

[Expressions]

*** The Shore
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040802fi_fiction>
by Richard Ford, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Wanted: Assessment Book Writer; No Experience Necessary
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,263396,00.html?>
by Ho Ai Li, Straits Times

*** Buffer Zones For New Petrol Stations Here
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,263421,00.html?>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
New petrol kiosks can be no closer than 90m from malls and town centres, under safety rules believed to be aimed at thwarting terrorist attacks.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.