[MyAppleMenu] Jul 17, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 17 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, July 17, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Apple's Market Share At 3.7 Percent
<http://www.macnn.com/news/25499>
by MacNN
Apple was the No 5 PC vendor in the US market in the second quarter with a 3.7% market share behind Dell, HP, Gateway, and IBM.

[Opinion]

*** Unix Leap Of Faith
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/07/16/29OPcurve_1.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
Don't wait until the rest of the world notices the efforts of Apple, Novell, and Sun.

*** Now Everyone Is A Security Risk
<http://www.itweek.co.uk/Comment/1156675>
by David Neal, IT Week
There is definitely a culture of paranoia and secrecy growing up -- much of it fertilised by attention-seeking analysts.

*** My Boston, My Macworld Expo
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5209>
by Ming Chow, O'Reilly Network
I am satisfied that Macworld has returned to Boston, my home, that is synonymous with the Macworld Expo, and I am confident that this is the start of something insanely great in the years to come.

*** Are Mac Users Smarter Than PC Users?
<http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/35130.html>
by Paul Murphy, LinuxInsider
I doubt it's possible to get a definitive answer, but as long as you don't take it too seriously you can have a lot of fun playing with proxies such as the average user's ability to read and write his or her native language.

*** Macworld Expo -- There It Went
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000260.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
A quiet show with a bunch of fun, little products, a lot of great conference sessions, and a few wacky feature presentations. Plus, most importantly, a great community of users and Mac professionals getting together to talk about the Mac.

[Review]

*** Can't Wait For A New iMac? eMac Is Available, Affordable
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001981886_ptmacc17.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
If you're looking for a desktop machine for a student or a recent graduate, the eMac lacks the sleekness of an iMac but makes up for it with a great price and included options.

*** 12 Steps To Improving Your Mac's Performance
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/07/16/DegunkYourMac.html>
by Joli Ballew, O'Reilly Network
What happened to cause your computer to slow down, and why does it run more slowly than it did the day you bought it home?

*** Higher-Order Messages In Cocoa
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/07/16/hom.html>
by Rob Rix, O'Reilly Network

[Sidetrack]

*** Making Movies
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/17/#20040717bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Catch Roger Ebert<http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-robot16f.html> in action, this Wednesday at the Apple Store in Chicago, on making ultra-low-budget movies on the Macintosh.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Living The Broadband Life
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/technology/circuits/15broa.html?ex=1247803200&>
by Katie Hafner, New York Times
Broadband, with its "always on" connection, is so ingrained here in San Diego that residents can't imagine life without it.

*** Open-Source Software A Big Tech Player
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54880-2004Jul16.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press
It powers more than 70 percent of all Web servers and routes much of the world's e-mail traffic. It makes surfing the Internet simple and provides the muscle behind Google's search engine and countless e-commerce sites.

*** It's Open Source From Now On
<http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2004/7/16/technology/8461653&sec=technology>
by Raslan Sharif, Malaysia Star
All government technology procurement will now have a preference for open source software, under the Malaysian Public Sector Open Source Software Masterplan made available to the public this morning.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** PM Goh Chok Tong To Hand Over To DPM Lee Hsien Loong On Aug 12
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/96152/1/.html>
by Debra Soon and Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia
Lee Hsien Loong will be sworn in at the Istana at 8pm.

[News]

*** Singaporeans Displace Japanese As Top Orchard Road Shoppers
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/premiumstory/0,4574,122775,00.html?>
by Nande Khin and Carolyn Quek, Business Times
Big-spending Japanese tourists with a perchant for designer labels have faded from Orchard Road scene, their spending having more than halved to $320 million last year from a decade ago. But the Singpaore shopper seems to have taken up the slack.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.