[MyAppleMenu] Jul 18, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 18 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, July 18, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** The New iPod
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5457434/site/newsweek/>
by Steven Levy, Newsweek
One millimeter thinner, and uses a "click wheel" with more efficient menus. 12 hours of rockin' between charges not by a heavier battery but diligent conservation of power. And a $100 price reduction.

*** iPod Nation
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5457432/site/newsweek/>
by Steven Levy, Newsweek
In just three years, Apple's adorable mini music player has gone from gizmo to life-changing cultural icon.

*** Newsweek Cover Reveals New iPod
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/17/ipod>
by MacMinute
The cover of the July 26th issue of Newsweek reveals the much rumored next gernation iPod model, which is expected to be unveiled early next week.

[News]

*** An Apple Pioneer Has Own Window To Future
<http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/07/18/an_apple_pioneer_has_own_window_to_future/?rss_id=Boston%20Globe%20--%20Business%20News>
by Robert Weisman, Boston Globe
Andy Hertzfeld, one of the original Macintosh designers, hadn't surfaced at a Macworld Conference & Expo in 10 years -- mainly, he said, because he's shy. But at last week's Macworld, where he consented to join a panel marking the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh, he was treated like a rock star.

*** Nerdy Hot Date: Wine And OSes
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64231,00.html>
by Leander Kahney, Wired News
A couple dozen Macworld attendees braved the rain Tuesday to spend a charming evening in the company of several glasses of fine Boston beer and Adam Rosen, curator of the Vintage Mac Museum.

[Opinion]

*** Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5457433/site/newsweek/>
by Bret Begun, Newsweek
I was an iPod junkie. It was hard, but I had no choice. I had to say goodbye.

*** Apple's WWDC 2004 #3: Apple And Java
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/2004/07/17.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
Apple bent over backwards to plug Java into Cocoa, making Java a first-class Mac language on a virtually equal footing with Objective-C. Sun has never granted first-class platform status to OS X.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: New iPods Tomorrow
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/18/#20040718bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
According to Think Secret<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/newipods.html>, Apple will be unveiling the new iPods tomorrow. These are still white, apparently. The previous rumor? iPod minis.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Why The Press Failed
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=1543>
by Orville Schell
Few in our media, it seemed, remembered I.F. Stone's hortatory admonition, "If you want to know about governments, all you have to know is two words: Governments lie."

[Life]

*** You Can't Do That On Television!
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/arts/television/18ROBS.html?ex=1247889600&>
by Scott Robson, New York Times
Six months after the Super Bowl, writers, producers and network executives are in a state of confusion about what they are allowed to say and show on television.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** New Singapore PM Shows Signs Of Father
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apasia_story.asp?category=1104&slug=Singapore%20Lee>
by Gillian Wong, Associated Press
Lee Hsien Loong, who takes over as Singapore's leader on Aug. 12, isn't expected to stray far from the tough tactics his father used to limit dissent while turning the Southeast Asian city-state into a center for electronics and finance.

[News]

*** DPP Disputes Singapore Deputy PM's Remarks
<http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/detail.asp?ID=50731&GRP=B>
by China Post
The ruling Democratic Progressive Party disputed yesterday a ranking Singaporean official's remarks that the government focuses more on domestic politics and cares less about outside changes, while the opposition parties said the government has been offered good advice.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.