[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Jan 25, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 25 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Jan 25, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Steve Jobs On The Mac's 20th Anniversary (Jason Snell, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/02/features/themacturns20jobs/?lsrc=mcrss-0104>
"I think we're leading the industry and we're having a good time."

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Steve Jobs: "It Feels Good" (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_05/b3868008_mz001.htm>
Apple's chief talks about its rapid rise to the top of the digital music biz, Pixar, and what tunes he's listening to today.

Apple Embracing Big Brother (Bob Keefe, Cox News Service)
<http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/content/business/daily/0125apple.html>
Apple's recent moves, though perhaps painful to some Mac aficionados, are earning it profits and accolades on Wall Street.

Show Time! (Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_05/b3868001_mz001.htm>
Just as the Mac revolutionized computing, Apple is changing the world of online music. If Steve Jobs plays his cards right this time, Apple could end up with a big chunk of the digital-entertainment market.

Apple's Core: The Mac Turns 20 (Marsha Walton, CNN)
<http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/23/mac.birthday/index.html>
Despite Microsoft's dominance, Apple fans remain loyal.

The Machine That Changed The World (Benny Evangelista, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/01/24/MNGU84H6171.DTL>
"It has made millions of people happy and lasted 20 years."

After 20 Years, Apple Adjusts (Rex Crum, CBS MarketWatch)
<http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=mktw&guid=%7B84E6D100%2D9DB5%2D4988%2D9049%2DE8369E3A908F%7D&>
New direction could, finally, be key to market share.

The Mac Turns 20: Looking Back On The Mac (Adam C. Engst, Roger Ebert, Guy Kawasaki, Pamela Pfiffner, John C. Dvorak, Andy Ihnatko, Bob LeVitus, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/02/features/themacturns20/?lsrc=mcrss-0104>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Communication, Control And Collaboration (The Mac's Next Decade) (Ric Ford, MacInTouch)
<http://www.macintouch.com/2004.html>

Happy 20th Anniversary Mac (David leishman, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/24/anniversary/index.php?redirect=1074963967000>
"After twenty years, I think it's safe to say it's true love."

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (Bill Stiteler, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=558_0_1_0_M>

iLife Bundles Sophisticated Tools For Manipulating Digital Media (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43758-2004Jan24.html>

Panther: A Look At Mac On Its 20th Birthday (Timothy R. Butler, Open For Business)
<http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=287>
While it may not be the only choice for many types of deployments, it certainly is hard to imagine how you would go wrong with it. The big black cat means business.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
The Tyranny Of Copyright? (Robert S. Boynton, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/25COPYRIGHT.html>
Not long ago, the Internet's ability to provide instant, inexpensive and perfect copies of text, sound and images was heralded with the phrase ''information wants to be free.'' Yet the implications of this freedom have frightened some creators -- particularly those in the recording, publishing and movie industries -- who argue that the greater ease of copying and distribution increases the need for more stringent intellectual property laws.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Fleixible IT, Better Strategy (McKinsey Quarterly, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2030-1069_3-5144911.html>
Technology architecture is one subject guaranteed to make a chief executive's eyes glaze over.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Single And Paying For It (Shari Motro, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/opinion/25MOTR.html>
Amid all the heated discussion on both sides of the gay marriage debate, a broader point has somehow gotten lost: why should formally committed couples, straight or gay, enjoy special privileges in the first place?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
My Late-Term Abortion (Gretchen Voss, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/01/25/my_late_term_abortion/>
President Bush's attempt to ban partial-birth abortions threatens all late-term procedures. But in my case, everyone said it was the right thing to do -- even my Catholic father and Republican father-in-law.

The Soul Of The Old Machine (Andrew John Ignatius Vontz, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-fxtypewriters04jan25,1,7070192.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Hearkening to the poetic song of the typewriter.

Why You Can't Learn To Like It (Bernard Holland, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/arts/music/25HOLL.html>
Several generations have been lost, and the classical music world hopes that education will set young people and their parents right. But what does education mean?

The Anti-Diva (Rob Hoerburger, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/25NORAH.html>
There are few things more difficult than following up a hugely successful first album. So why isn't Norah Jones worried?

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Learn, Live And Play In Singapore (Joanne Lim, The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/1/25/education/7125946&sec=education>
It was indeed an eye-opening experience for a group of Malaysian teachers invited by the Singapore Tourism Board for a familiarisation tour of the island's top- notch educational services and facilities.

Singapore: Nation Of Happy Workers? (Li Xueying, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,231634,00.html?>
A Sunday Times survey carried out last month reveals most workers think their pay is OK. About 66 per cent consider their workload to be just right, and 75 per cent say they have no complaints about working hours.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.