[MyAppleMenu] Saturday, Jan 24, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 24 21:05:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Jan 24, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Measure Of Apple's Success (Peter Burroughs, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2004/tc20040126_9608_tc055.htm>
Steve Jobs says analysts should stop worrying about market share and focus on profits. And moving beyond Macs could boost both.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple's iTunes European Debut Held Up By Red Tape (Bernhard Warner, Reuters)
<http://www.forbes.com/home_europe/newswire/2004/01/24/rtr1225563.html>
Old-fashionsed red tape is delaying the eagerly awaited European launch of Apple's Internet music store iTunes, a company official said on Saturday.

iPod Row: MPs Rush To Apple's Aid (Graeme Wearden, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,39020351,39143669,00.htm>
Apple has certainly got friends in high places -- rather than criticise its iPod battery policy we should apparently be hailing the 'revolutionary impact' it has made, MPs now say.

The Macintosh Turns 20 (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
<http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/Business/1F0FE0DE829FB59086256E24000BA875?OpenDocument&Headline=The+Macintosh+turns+20>
You could argue that every PC is a Macintosh, because of the similarity of Windows to the original Mac OS.

Tiny iPod Is Top Of The Pops (Elinore Wellwood, New Zealand Herald)
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3545248&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=>
It is this year's must-have gadget, topping hottest product lists in the developed world.

The Mac Turns 20 (Peggy Watt, PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114418,00.asp>
>From 'insanely great' to 'think different,' what has Apple taught -- and learned?

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Bluetooth Phones And iSync Woes (Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4245>

The Version Problem (Jeffrey Zeldman)
<http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0104g.shtml#version>
Still, it would be nice if you could download Safari 1.1 without buying and installing a new operating system.

Apple's Mouth Says 'No' To The Enterprise, Yet All Signs Point To 'Yes' (Ephraim Schwartz, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/01/23/04OPreality_1.html>
The truth is, Apple cannot survive by just feeding off its installed base, and the company knows it.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
BYOB: Build Your Own Browser (Andrew Anderson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/01/23/webkit.html>
WebKit gives developers the ability to make their applications much more powerful with very little added effort.

New iPod mini Pricey; Rivals Ready To Rock (Leonard Fischer, Gannett News Service)
<http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0124gear24.html>

Wide-Screen Desktop Bliss (Chris Oaten, The Advertiser)
<http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8471977%5E21669,00.html>
This is one sexy piece of Mac hardware.

GoLive CS (Deborah Shadovitz, Mac Design Magazine)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb04/reviews/golivecs.html>
Changes make it more intertwined with the Adobe family.

Illustrator CS (David Creamer, Mac Design Magazine)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb04/reviews/illustratorcs.html>

InDesign CS (David Creamer, Mac Design Magazine)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb04/reviews/indesigncs.html>
A very worthwhile upgrade.

Photoshop CS (Ben Willmore, Mac Design Magazine)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb04/reviews/photoshopcs.html>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Judge Satisfied With Microsoft's Antitrust Case Compliance (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/24/technology/24soft.html>
A federal judge said yesterday that she was generally satisfied with Microsoft's efforts to comply with the settlement terms in the government's antitrust case, after the company announced steps to make it easier for outside companies to license its technology.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
Studying Abroad (In Greenwich Village) (Karen W. Arenson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/24/education/24nyu.html>
As students from New York University go overseas, counterparts from across the United States take their seats.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions