[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Jan 26, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 26 21:05:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Jan 26, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
OK, Mac, Make A Wish (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=4052227&p1=0>
Apple's 'computer for the rest of us' is, insanely, 20.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Opening Windows To Change (Bob Keefe, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
<http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/0104/25mac.html>
20 years after rolling out Mac, rebel firm moves toward mainstream.

Scott Barrows: Biomedical Visualization (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/science/barrows/>
"Our profession is overwhelmingly Macintosh. It's just so much easier to use. It's more dependable. It's more intuitive. It's faster and it's just more elegant."

Jim Swaffield: Creating A DVD For Wyclef Jean (Bija Gutoff, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/swaffield/>
"This DVD is a comprehensive demonstration of Apple's pro capabilities and workflow from start to finish."

Apple Releases January Security Update (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/26/securityupdate/index.php?redirect=1075127747000>

Apple Is TV And Film Computer Product Placement Of Choice (Bob Keefe, Cox News Service)
<http://www.marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234~26641~1915665,00.html>
It seems like you can't turn on the television without seeing an Apple computer.

FWB Source Code Available For Sale On eBay (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23118>

Apple At 20 (Annie Alleman, Suburban Chicago)
<http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/features/technology/j25mac.htm>
A fan club... for computers?

iPod 'Threatens Marriages' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7760>
The iPod is being blamed for causing rifts in relationships with a new breed of "iPod Widows" emerging.

Apple To Open New Florida Store In The Adventura Mall (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23049>
The store is located in the Aventura Mall on the second floor across from the food court.

GarageBand Lures 'Em At NAMM (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/26/namm>
One of the hottest items at last weekend's NAMM conference (National Association of Music Merchants) in Anaheim, California, was GarageBand, the newest addition to Apple's iLife suite of tools.

Hundreds Line Up For Tucson Apple Store Opening (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/26/applestore>
The first person got in line at midnight, said Christina Sanchez, the store's manager.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The Revolution At 20; Save The Trip Down Memory Lane, Apple -- Keep Looking Ahead (Chuck La Tournous, RandomMaccess)
<http://www.randommaccess.com/news/1075137979.shtml>

Microsoft's Attention Defecit Disorder & The Music Industry (Alan Graham, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4288>
With the iTunes music store I have variety, I have simplicity, I have speed, and I have a player that ties it all together. I don't care about the other 40 or 100 or 500 music players out there.

Apple Of My Eye (Richard Dawkins, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1131129,00.html>
The appearance of the Mac 20 years ago wasn't an evolutionary advance, it was a macro-mutational leap.

Mac At 20 -- Bringing It All Back Home (Matthew Rothenberg, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1457023,00.asp>
Apple watchers of all stripes have good reason to celebrate the Mac's anniversary -- and applaud Apple's focus on its core values.

Apple's Overlooked Upside (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2004/tc20040126_7356_tc055.htm>
All told, though, the Street might be missing the forest for the trees in Apple's latest numbers, and lots of green could shake loose if Jobs & Co. realize even a little bit of the upside that investors seem to have overlooked in the earnings report.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Apple iPod mini (Kenny Hemphill, MacUser)
<http://macuser.pcpro.co.uk/?reviews/reviews_story.php?id=52777>
Try as we might, we just can't see the appeal of the iPod mini.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Online Reference To Reach Milestone (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/7793099.htm>
Sometime in the next few days or weeks, one of the world's most comprehensive online reference sites will publish its 200,000th article. More accurately, one of the site's contributors will publish the article.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Education Is No Protection (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/opinion/26HERB.html>
"Unless you are a plumber, or perhaps a newspaper reporter, or one of these jobs which is geographically situated, you can be anywhere in the world and do just about any job."

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Dec Production Growth Slows Down (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/latest/story/0,4574,106207,00.html?>
Analysts said that despite the slowdown in the headline figures, the underlying outlook remains positive.

Singapore Sidesteps WTO (Linus Chua, Bloomberg)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/126471.html>
Singapore said it has been signing free-trade agreements with countries such as the United States, Japan and Australia because it does not expect a quick resolution to World Trade Organization talks on global tariff cuts.

Reviving A Winning Partnership With Singapore (Wong Sulong, The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/1/26/nation/7176063&sec=nation>
Abdullah and Goh have got off to a good start. Let's hope they can revive the traditional Malaysia-Singapore partnership and make it even stronger.

Weekend Visits Raise Comfort Levels (M. Nirmala, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,231764,00.html?>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.