[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Feb 9, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 9 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Feb 9, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
GarageBand Kicks Out The Jams (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62204,00.html>
Launched just over two weeks ago, the software has already spawned a sizable ecosystem of plug-ins, add-ons and websites for sharing tunes. And it has inspired a frenzy of musical creativity.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird Updated (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/09/mozilla>

Why Mac Won't Open Up Windows (David Frith, The Barrow)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,8607931%5E15309%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Sorry Windows folk: it just won't happen.

Pepsi-iTunes Ad Boosts Apple.com Traffic By 573% (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/08/traffic>

Station Breaks Ground With iPod EP (Marc Schiffman, Billboard)
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=4307659>
With so many radio stations releasing CD compilations of artist visits, it was bound to happen that one station would embrace the mp3 world.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Your Small Business Computer Alternative (Kevin Ledgister, osViews)
<http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=822>

Why I'm Turning A Deaf Ear To The Pod Botherers (Bryony Gordon, Telegraph)
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/02/09/bmipod09.xml>
I hate iPods. I mean, I really, really hate them. There, I've said it.

Open Source Vs. Mac Vs. Windows (Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4364>
Open source truly shines when it can be combined with proprietary solutions, in an elegant way.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Plug In, Turn On, Tune Up (Peter Lewis, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/peterlewis/0,15704,588365,00.html>
GarageBand, Apple's new home recording studio software, transforms the Mac into a musical instrument that anyone can play.

GarageBand Observations (Sandy McMurray, Apple Matters)
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/001683.html>
GarageBand is a hit at my house.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Disney And Microsoft Strike Internet Deal (Mark Tran, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1144259,00.html>
Walt Disney yesterday agreed to use Microsoft software to block the illegal distribution of film and audio over the internet in a deal that moves the computer giant closer to Hollywood.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
Unstoppable Rise Of The Home Computer (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3471803.stm>
Computers pervade every aspect of our culture. But only 50 years ago, they were considered futuristic devices that belonged to the scientific world.

Top 10 Reasons To Not Shop On Line (Bruce Tognazzini)
<http://www.asktog.com/columns/062top10ReasonsToNotShop.html>
Commercial websites are still, in the main, scary, difficult, and undependable.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech