[MyAppleMenu] Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 10 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
G5 PowerBook 'This Year'? (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=7888>
Microprocessor experts expect Apple to release new G5 Power Macs soon.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
The Word From Apple (Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
<http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/001408.html>
In thinking about the Mac BU, it's interesting to note how Apple portrays the situation to its investors.

New Apple Store Sighted In Bethesda, MD (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23351>

Virtual PC Updated for Forthcoming XP Pro Service Packs (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/10/virtualpc/index.php?redirect=1076423025000>
This minor point update to Virtual PC "addresses security issues and bugs related to running upcoming Windows XP Professional service packs," according to Microsoft.

WSJ: Apple Is A Defendent In Five iPod Lawsuits (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/23348>

Manchester Students Raise Money To Buy Apple Laptops (Tom Fahey, Union Leader)
<http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=33090>
Students at Highland-Goffe's Falls School in Manchester jumped a lot of rope and sold a lot of cookie dough, but now they've got 34 new Apple iBook laptop computers to show for it.

San Francisco Apple Store To Open Feb. 28 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/10/sfapple>
Apple has announced that its first retail store in San Francisco will open in Union Square at One Stockton Street on Saturday, February 28.

Groupcal Viewer Lets iCal Users View Exchange Calendars (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/10/groupcal/index.php?redirect=1076393080000>

Celebrating The Cult Of Macintosh (Christopher Hutsul, The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1076326898810&call_pageid=991479973472&col=991929131147>
The key to the Macintosh's success, or at least survival, has been its commitment to innovation and good design.

MacSpeech offers iLife '04 Voice Solution (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/10/macspeech>

Apple To Exhibit At Bio-IT World Conference & Expo (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/09/bioitworld>
Bio-IT World is "the leading event to demonstate how technology is transforming the life sciences throughout all discovery and development processes."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
iConsignment (John Zeratsky)
<http://www.johnzeratsky.com/archives/000209.php>
Is there any way for us to make our music available on the iTunes store?

Look Out, Steve! (Stephen Lynch, New York Post)
<http://www.nypost.com/business/17573.htm>
Microsoft may be plotting to unseat Apple by leapfrogging ahead to movies and TV.

Five Ways To Make Your Maicntosh Existence A Happier One (Bill Palmer)
<http://billpalmer.net/com000141.html>
All of us can do a few things to make our Mac experience even more sweet.

Copying Apple: When Is It Considered Ripping Off? (2 Guys, A Mac, And A Website)
<http://www.2guysamacandawebsite.com/article.php?id=414>

Pod People (Izzy Grinspan, Village Voice)
<http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0406/essay.php>
This Valentine's Day, the fastest way to the heart may be through the earbuds.

I Just Sold My Cube And I Feel So Dirty (Surf-Bits)
<http://www.surf-bits.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=194>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Kasparov Chessmate (Gregory Martinez, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=466>
I would really like to see a more feature-rich Mac chess game for OS X than this product provides.

Making Music With GarageBand (Ted Landau, MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040210082358788>
I can't recall the last time that a software program (other than a game) has so captured my attention.

Apple Adds Music Creation To Its Suite (Troy Dreier, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1523266,00.asp>
Software like GarageBand has been around for a while, but it's never been so easy to use.

iBook's Qualities Impress Quickly (Mark Kellner, Washington Times)
<http://washingtontimes.com/technology/20040209-094428-2428r.htm>
I could easily see this computer accompanying someone to a college dorm, or part of a very stylish home office. It's a good portable, it's a good home computer.

AppleScript Helps You Take A Load Off (Gene Steinberg, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/genesteinberg/2004-02-09-steinberg_x.htm>
You tell the computer what to do every step of the way, usually with a keyboard or mouse movement. Wouldn't it be nice if your computer could handle some of that stuff while you turn your attention to something, well, more interesting?

iLife Perfects Integration (Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press)
<http://www.dailyherald.com/business/business_story.asp?intid=3802687>
A lot of high-tech companies strive to be the hub of a digital lifestyle, but unless they're pushing an expensive Media Center PC they mostly leave it to consumers to figure out how to make their products work with others. Macintosh computer owners don't face that headache.

1GHz PowerMac vs Dual G4 -- Which One Is Faster And Has Better Features? (MacReviewZone)
<http://macreviewzone.com/html/reviews/guides/individual/04/powermac/1ghz-vs-2x1.25ghz.shtml>

System Optimizer X (v4.1) (Neema saeedi, Inside Apple)
<http://www.insideapple.com/article.php?id=15_0_1_0_M>

Hands On: Implementing OS X 10.3 (Panther) Server (Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,90012,00.html?SKC=macos-90012>
I can tell you now that everything Apple promised is indeed in there -- and it works!

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft: Oops! We Did It Again (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,62239,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Microsoft warned customers Tuesday about unusually serious security problems with its Windows software that could let hackers quietly break into their computers to steal files, delete data or eavesdrop on sensitive information.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
software Innovation Is Dead (Jonathan Love, NewsForge)
<http://www.newsforge.com/programming/04/02/05/1828243.shtml?tid=105&tid=25>
All that's left is compatibility fixes, security patches, and minor-version-number incremental improvements.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
W3C Recommends Semantic Web Specs (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5156243.html>
The Web's leading standards group finalized two drafts at the core of its ambitious effort to let computers glean meaning from the documents they help create, store and transfer.

Social Networks: Will Users Pay To Get Friends? (Bob Tedeschi, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/09/technology/09ecom.html?ex=1391662800&en=72c6b16a7b4ef87d&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND>
For many, the buzz over social networking sounds a lot like vintage Internet hyperbole from the late 1990's.

Siemens To Show Prototype PenPhone (John Blau, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/09/HNpenphone_1.html>
Integrated handwriting recognition technology enters written data on mobile phone.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
Route 3 (Ian Frazier, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040216fa_fact3>
What I saw on the road through New Jersey.

Good Stuff Was Ugly, But The Bad Stuff Was Great (Aidin vaziri, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/02/09/DDGMT4S18U1.DTL>
The best part about the 46th Grammy awards was when they gave Celine Dion a broken microphone.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Expressions