[MyAppleMenu] Saturday, Sep 13, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 13 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Sep 13, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Keynote Plays Ball With PowerPoint (Ian F. Darwin, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/09/12/keynote.html>
I've removed PowerPoint from my Mac notebook; Keynote does it all. Watch for more and more people using Keynote.

Beatles Group Sues Apple Over Trademark (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5075721.html>
A representative for Apple Corps, the corporate face of rock icons The Beatles, said Friday that the company has sued Apple Computer over its iTunes service, in a sequel to a previous trademark dispute.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Teachers Losing Their Apples (Monique Fields, St. Petersburg Times)
<http://www.sptimes.com/2003/09/13/Tampabay/Teachers_losing_their.shtml>
Pinellas County schools will phase out Apple computers and only buy PCs. Some teachers and administrators are upset.

The Long And Winding Trademark Dispute (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/6762415.htm>
Though the lawsuit might be a hassle for Apple Computer, few in the technology industry said they thought it would cause long-term problems.

Dave Skwarczek: He Plots With Bzots (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/skwarczek/>
"If the Mac wasn't around, I'm not sure we'd be able to create the series so easily -- or at all."

Macromedia Updates FreeHand MX (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/09/12/freehand>
The new version contains fixes for issues identified since the release of FreeHand MX (version 11) and includes product activation, according to the company.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Polishes Stability, Memory With New Lines (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001726933_ptmac13.html>
The future is arriving for Mac users and potential new Mac users, in the form of the Power Mac G5, new iPods and iMacs, and the upcoming Mac OS X 10.3, code-named Panther.

Mac OS X: It Just Works (Chad Dickerson, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/12/36OPconnection_1.html>
This is what makes Mac OS X so compelling: With decimated IT staffs getting slammed from without (Sobig.F) and within (frustrated end-users), something that just works is downright refreshing.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Goes To Hollywood (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5075335.html>
Microsoft's surprise decision to submit Windows Media Series 9 as a standards candidate to Hollywood underscores the software giant's ambitions to take its multimedia technology beyond the Net, as well as the considerable barriers it faces.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Sun Exec: Open-Source Is Irrelevant (Jonathan Schwartz, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/0,10801,84804,00.html?SKC=home84804>
Focus on the open standards we follow. They matter far, far more.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Is IT's Spending Drought Over At Last? (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_37/b3849044.htm>
Corporate IT outlays are at their strongest since early 2000.

Semantic Web: Out Of The Theory Realm (Michael Singer, Internet.com)
<http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/3076961>
Even though there are about 20 more potential standards left to sift through, the minds behind the movement say the Semantic Web is here now.

Battle For The Big Screen (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2019977>
Innovations in the design and manufacture of liquid-crystal displays have increased screen sizes and reduced costs dramatically. Now the LCD is poised to challenge the king of the big screens, the plasma display.

Study: Wi-Fi Proliferating In Homes (Dinesh C. Sharma, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5075609.html>
More people are using wireless networking technology Wi-Fi in their homes than in offices or public places, according to research firm IDC.

Grid Project Has Eyes For The Future (Jo Best, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5075520.html>
A new experiment in grid computing was launched in Britain with the aim of helping to predict climate change over the next half century.

Point, Click, Call (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1037_3-5075820.html>
With the popularity of Net-phoning on the rise, several VoIP leaders, including Microsoft, are resurrecting an idea that was pioneered two years ago: Web site icons that let people point, click and make a call.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
Death Of Actor Is Forcing ABC To Reconsider Fate Of His Show (Bill Carter and Jim Rutenberg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/13/business/media/13TUBE.html?ex=1064030400&en=fa399a4cf16acd1d&ei=5062>
ABC executives, anguished by the unexpected death of John Ritter Thursday night, now face the problem of whether to continue producing his show, the most popular comedy on the network.

Madonna Of The Pseuds (Tom Utley, The Spectator)
<http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2003-09-13&id=3492>
Hang on, I thought. I'm only pretending to like this picture. I don't really like it at all.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions