[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Sep 14, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 14 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Sep 14, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Readers: Problems With iTunes Radio Services (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/21085>

Ranchero Releases New NetNewsWire Beta (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/09/13/netnewswire>

Upton Middle School Addition Dedicated (Kim Strode, The Herald-Palladium)
<http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2003/09/13/news/news4.txt>
The library/media center has a wireless computer laboratory with 30 MacIntosh ibooks, portable laptop computers that students or teachers can check out. Teachers can take the remote hub to their room to create a computer lab in their classrooms.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
This Is What I Really Believe About Macs (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2003/09/198.htm#macs>
I agree Apple can, like any company, screw up from time to time. And I will continue to call them on it. Maybe the company's executives will listen to me, and maybe they won't. But that won't stop me from saying my peace.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Kernel Panics On A Sunday (Bob LeVitus, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2003/20030912.shtml>
I wouldn't dream of operating my Mac without my DiskWarrior CD close at hand.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Says It Is Planning To Double Its Dividend (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/13/business/13SOFT.html>
The higher payment -- an annual dividend of 16 cents a share -- is still small compared with the enormous piles of cash generated by Microsoft's dominant desktop personal computer software franchises, the Windows operating system and the Office suite of programs.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
File-Sharing Battle Leaves Musicians Caught In Middle (Neil Strauss, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/technology/14MUSI.html>
Many musicians have found themselves watching helplessly from the sidelines as the recording industry has begun suing people who are their fans, their audience and their consumers -- who also share music online without authorization.

Whatever Will Be Will Be Free On The Internet (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/weekinreview/14LOHR.html>
What all this means for the future of intellectual property, and some businesses, is as unpredictable as the open-source revolution itself. In the music business, it seems remarkable that only a few believe the technology cannot be held in check.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Out Of Tune (Johnnie L. Roberts, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/966392.asp>
Picking on little kids and old ladies? What were the record companies thinking? They say it's life or death.

Courthouse Rock (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/966394.asp?0cv=KB10>
Last week the recording industry sued 261 unlucky music lovers, who, like millions more, had used Internet file-sharing services to download tunes. Will the radical strategy work? And is it fair?

Open Source Helps Education Effort In Third World (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/6769286.htm>
Barring a dramatic change in attitude, product and price from the world's largest software company, open source is plainly the way developing nations should move.

If Not E-Mail, What? (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4085-2003Sep13.html>
Based on the pronounced lack of success to date, e-mail seems likely to remain its inefficient self. So, what else can we do about it?

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Top Gun Vs. Total Recall (Frank Rich, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/arts/14RICH.html>
Only in America could a guy who struts in an action-hero's Hollywood costume and barks macho lines from a script pass for a plausible political leader. But if George W. Bush can get away with it, why should Arnold Schwarzenegger be pilloried for the same antics?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Had Hubble Had Its Day? (Alok Jha, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1039314,00.html>
It's been our eye on the universe for 13 years, transforming our knowledge of deep space -- but at a cost. Is it really worth saving from retirement?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Selling Sizzle (Patrick J. Kiger, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-design37sep14,1,1911244.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Horsepower doesn't move cars anymore. Style does. And that shift tells the story of an automotive revolution.

Restoration Tragedy (Patrick Wright, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1040810,00.html>
The heritage industry is now so powerful that it is impossible to criticise, let alone demolish, old buildings.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
Singapore's Lee Snuffs Out Retirement Talk - Paper (Reuters)
<http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/reuters09-13-210547.asp?reg=PACRIM>
Lee Kuan Yew, the architect of modern Singapore, has snuffed out talk of retirement, saying he plans to stay in government as long as he is fit and able.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions