[MyAppleMenu] May 23, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 23 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Jobs In Smoke For D&AD Gongs (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=4699>
Apple CEO Steve Jobs visited London last night to collect three Design and Art Direction awards. Jobs' secret visit marked Apple's consistent four-year record of having its design achievements recognized.

Xserve Outside The Reality Distortion Field (Hank Grabowski, OSNews.com)
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1106>
>From a performance standpoint, the Xserve should certainly be able to hold its own in many cases,and if Apple's statements are verified, it even will surpass the performance of these Intel-based servers on all the major tests. The Xserve can easily be a contender in the low end, low profile server market.

=== news =============

Art And Sound: The Alien Way (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/05/alien/>
"Macs are the finest, best built, most reliable and elegant computers in the world."

"Myst" Adds Twist To Online Gaming (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-921390.html>
The creators of "Myst," one of the most popular PC games of all time, are working on an online version of the adventure game.

iTools Bandwidth Answer (Thomas Koons, Macintouch)
<http://www.macintouch.com/homepagelimit.html#may23>

Apple Offers Education Promotion On iMac, eMac, More (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/23.imacpromo.php>
The two pormotions offer people that are eligible to shop at Apple's online education store a way to get hardware and save money.

Coding Challenge: Making The Switch To Mac OS X (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17916.html>
Some disappointed developers have found that porting applications to Carbon or rebuilding them in Cocoa is more difficult than they had anticipated.

Deimos Rising Updated To 1.0.1 (Andy Largent, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=5469>
Most important update for many players will be the addition of support for gamepads.

It Hovers! It Spins! It Spies! (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/05/draganflyer/>
"We quickly discovered how easy it was to make professional looking videos using iMovie. We can make a couple of movies a day for our website without a problem. That’s between doing our regular jobs."

Faster FireWire May Come To Macs (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17899.html>
Rumor has it that Apple will introduce new professional desktops at July's Macworld Expo in New York, paving the way for a FireWire revision.

MetroWerks Announces CodeWarrior 8 (MacMegasite)
<http://www.macmegasite.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=173>

=== opinions =============

iBooks For Backwash Elementary (Steve Wood)
<http://www.mathdittos2.com/columns/view/v020523b.html>
The iBooks, although terribly small in screen and keyboard to me, seem an ideal fit for my kids.

=== reviews =============

Apple iMac (Brett Larson, TechTV)
<http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3372760,00.html>
It is easy to recommend this new iMac. It is the best consumer option to come out of Apple in a long time.

Downloading To A Macintosh In A Windows World (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3320354.htm>
It's been harder to download music and video with a Mac.

Point And Shoot, And The Myriad Details Between (Rob Fixmer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/23/technology/circuits/23BASI.html?tntemail0>
While digital cameras tend to look a lot like their film-eating ancestors, they conceal technologies that change the entire photographic process, impose new vocabularies and demand fresh ways of thinking about picture-taking.

A Photo Program For The Home, And One For The Road (J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/23/technology/circuits/23GEE2.html?tntemail0>
PhotoSuite Platinum Edition by Roxio provides users with an easy-to-use interface to edit, modify and get creative with their digital pictures.

Apple's iPhoto Organizes And Edits Your Images (Troy Dreier, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=1470&a=27242,00.asp>
We appreciate the minor improvements to iPhoto, but they don't answer the software's most pressing needs—better color correction, the ability to archive a portion of your photo library externally without losing editing information, and more page templates for books. For these, alas, we likely must await a major release.

Toast With Jam (Jonathan Seff, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/06/reviews/toast.html>
Jam is an easy-to-use program fit for novices, hobbyists, and audio professionals, and it offers audio-mastering features that other apps can't touch. And with the full version of Toast Titanium, you can burn in every CD, DVD, or VCD format you're likely to need.

=== internet news =============

Netscape 7? I'll Stick With IE (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-921118.html>
At this point, Netscape needs to offer something earth-shattering if it's going to make up ground on IE. Netscape 7 ain't it.

Analyst: Net Advertising Hangs On AOL (Reuters)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-921697.html>

Downloading To A Macintosh In A Windows World (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3320354.htm>
It's been harder to download music and video with a Mac.

=== wintel top news =============

Open-Source Fight Flares At Pentagon (Jonathan Krim, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60050-2002May22.html>
Microsoft is aggressively lobbying the Pentagon to squelch its growing use of freely distributed computer software and switch to proprietary systems such as those sold by the software giant.

=== wintel news =============

Dell Move Into Printers Would Roil Market (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-921347.html?tag=cd_mh>
While speculation ahs swirled for several weeks that Dell may be considering a move into the lucrative printer market, a research report released Thursday added new fuel to the fire.

Microsoft's Privacy Czar On The "Trust Model" (Jane Black, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020523_6029.htm>
Richard Purcell, the man Bill Gates charged with creating security standards, talks about the huge dimensions of the job.

Microsoft Debugger Flaw Yields System Keys (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9946896-0.html?tag=ats>
Microsoft warned Windows NT and 2000 users on Wednesday of a new flaw in its debugger tools that could let attackers give themselves complete control of a system once they've gained basic access to that system.

Bill Gates, The CEO Summit, And Innovations For Regular Folks (Glen Gillmore, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1443>
Beyond the technology and those that cling to technology for technology's sake, what about "regular" folks?

Is C# Really Taking Hold? (Glen Gillmore, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1430>

=== reader : tech =============

Give It Away Now (Thomas Claburn, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/05/23/fightcloud/index.html>
Music start-up FightCloud.com offers CDs free, but says it's making a profit. How can that be?

=== reader : life =============

Playing The Biggest Game In Town (William L. Hamilton, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/23/garden/23ICFF.html?8hpib>
The four-day International Contemporary Furniture Fair is a new American design company's best crack at the big time.

A New Imprint Is Dedicated To Black Readers (Martin Arnold, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/23/books/23BOOK.html>
Of the five imprints in major publishing companies committed to books on black subjects, Harlem Moon will be the only one to offer all its books as trade paperbacks.

Burger Secrets (Theodore Dalrymple, New Statesman)
<http://www.newstatesman.co.uk/site.php3?newTemplate=NSArticle_Life&newDisplayURN=200205200011>
If the Americans are the most technologically advanced nation in the world, can it be that they do not know so simple a thing as how to eat?

=== reader : expressions =============

Take A Sip (R.R. Mullen, VOiCE)
<http://www.voicemag.net/issue/poetry.cgi?choose=678>

=== singapore top news =============

Big-Bang Launch For Esplanade (Arthur Sim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,121529,00.html?>
Newest, biggest arts landmark promises something for everyone - including 600 free acts - during grand opening arts fest.

=== singapore news =============

Singapore Theatre: Looking In And Out (Clara Chow, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,121518,00.html?>
While brand-name foreign acts will hog the limelight at this year's Singapore Arts Festival, the homegrown plays are the ones that promise to be controversial and provocative.

3% Limit On Ownership Of Media To Go Up (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,121543,00.html?>
Companies and individuals may be allowed to own up to 5 per cent of the shares in newspaper and broadcasting companies, up from the existing limit of 3 per cent.

---