[MyAppleMenu] May 24, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 24 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

The Mac A Business Machine? Better Believe It! (Gene Steinberg, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ccarch/2002/05/24/steinberg.htm>
The next time someone tells you that the Mac is not a serious business computer, just smile and get on with your business. You know better.

Apple 'Poised To Double Market Share' (BBC)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_2005000/2005495.stm>
Steve Jobs, the man who co-founded Apple and returned to the computer maker to spearhead its revival, has said the firm is placed to achieve a doubling of market share.

=== news =============

Apple Aims To Boost Bandwidth With 1.5GHz G4s (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25421.html>
Recent word from sources close to Motorola confirm that a significant speed bump will be timed for Macworld Expo in July.

Appel Retail Store Anniversary (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/retail/anniversary/>
Great deals to celebrate a great year.

One School's Cost Of Going Wintel (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/24.school.php>
"Dozens of tech people did nothing but clean-up the [virus] itself."

Vendors: LCD Prices To See Slight Rise Until 2003 (Sam Costello, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/05/22/020522hnlcd.xml>
A shortage in LCDs will keep prices for desktop and notebook displays at their current levels, or even a bit higher, until new factories come online in 2003 and increase supply, said a pair of LCD makers.

New Cocoa Links Directory (Brent Simmons, Ranchero)
<http://ranchero.com/?comments=1&postid=264>

=== internet top news =============

New Rules For The New Advertising Economy (Chris Andreson, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.06/view.html?pg=4>
"You want users to come to your site every day -- and then go away."

Real-Time Weblogs (Dave Winer, DaveNet)
<http://davenet.userland.com/2002/05/23/realtimeWeblogs>
Something new is happening, thanks to the development of 802.11b networks at conferences, and easy to use weblog software.

=== internet news =============

Yahoo Drops Auctions In Most Of Europe (Suzanne Kapner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/technology/24AUCT.html>
Failing to eclipse its major rival in the online auction market overseas, Yahoo said today that it would stop offering its own auctions in six European countries and promote eBay's service instead.

U.S. Takes A Hard Look At Broadband Deployment (George Leopold, EE Times)
<http://www.commsdesign.com/story/OEG20020523S0041>
Broadband deployment has become technology Topic A among policy makers, politicians and industry lobbyists.

Sun ONE Looks To Be #1 And More... (Steve Anglin, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1435>
Sun has taken an apparently successful strategy shift by giving up on, at least, the iPlanet brand and division.

=== wintel top news =============

Windows XP Patch To Comply With Anti-Trust Deal (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9954116-0.html?tag=ats>
The first product changes dictated by a proposed anti-trust settlement with Microsoft Corp. will appear next week in a software patch for Windows XP, the company said on Friday.

=== wintel news =============

One School's Cost Of Going Wintel (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/24.school.php>
"Dozens of tech people did nothing but clean-up the [virus] itself."

Pulled In A New Direction (Daniel Fisher, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/0610/102.html>
Michael Dell conquered the PC market by exploiting the technology of others to assemble cheap, powerful boxes. That same strategy may not work as he pushes into higher-end storage networks and server arrays.

=== reader : tech =============

Silicon Valley Grows Up (Claire Tristram, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/opinion/24TRIS.html?tntemail0>
This is not just an intrastate feud between Northern and Southern California. It is a fight with global implications, and the valley's peculiarly technophilic culture, usually part of its charm, may not serve it so well.

The Future Of Mind Control (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1143583>
People already worry about genetics. They should worry about brain science too.

=== reader : life =============

The Mystery Of Language And Ideology (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1146083>
When a change of government means a change of grammar.

What Spider-Man Can (And Can't) Do For Marvel (Rob Walker, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066147>
What does Spider-Man mean for Marvel, the beleaguered comic-book publisher where the web-slinger was born?

Explosive Analyst (Howard Kurtz, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1351-2002May23.html>
>From his home in the mountains of Vermont, William Arkin seems to have mastered one of the great juggling acts of the multimedia age -- persuading news organizations, advocacy groups and the Pentagon, through sheer smarts and a bulldog personality, to take him on his own terms.

Where The Rivers Run Extreme (James Gorman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/travel/24OUTS.html?8hpib>
A few days after I took a stab at white-water paddling, someone casually referred to it as one of the adrenaline sports. Ah, I thought, so that's what was going on.

=== reader : expressions =============

To Be Uninspired (Bryce Mander, Word Salad)
<http://www.wordsalad.net/tobeuninspired.html>

=== singapore news =============

New Play Pokes At Prickly Singapore-Malaysia Ties (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-106881.html>
"Causeway", a production by Singapore's Teater Ekamatra and malaysia's the Actors Studio, explores the reationship between Malays in the two states away from the media hype and political haggling that have marked cross-border ties.

Parliament Approves Police Powers For Some ISD Intelligence Officers (S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8870/1/.html>
Opposition MP Low Thia Khiang opposed this, saying he is worried about giving them such wide powers to search and arrest.

Priceline To Unveil Second Asian Site (Irene Tham, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1017-921212.html?tag=cd_mh>
Priceline.com is set to kick off its second travel auction site in Asia, despite being snubbed by two major regional airlines.

---